PDA

View Full Version : Curriculum Vitae

ikthius
17-09-2007, 19:35
hey guys.

Still trying to change my career.

I have put out a few CVs but getting nothing back, also on a lot of agency sites, but nothing is coming back from them either.

so, I have tried to rework my cv.

I have 7 varieties, all slightly similar.

anyway, all personal details are gone but you can get the jist of what I am trying to do.

for all you lucky people who are good at selling yourself, which one do you think is best to use, as in sending and putting on agency sites, like S1 jobs?

ik

ikthius
17-09-2007, 19:36
here are 6 & 7

ik

Chris W
17-09-2007, 19:43
What kind of job are you looking for?

monkey2468
17-09-2007, 19:51
If its for an IT job then I don't think there is a problem with any of your cv's per se, but more that lack of higher IT qualifications and lack of previous IT related employment.
Your software knowledge looks good though.:)

peanut
17-09-2007, 20:03
I've sent you an email, let me know if you get it. :)

ikthius
17-09-2007, 20:09
I would like to get into IT, junior programming, or web design, anything to get my foot in the door.

I am even thinking of just cold sending my CV in the interest of voluntary work, to help get something on the CV.

I have not had any luck in getting anything. and lack of funds just now stops me going for more qualifications.

peanutkp, I not received any mail

ik

peanut
17-09-2007, 20:10
Is your email still ikthius'@'hotmail.com ? (without the ' to avoid bots).

Osem
17-09-2007, 20:11
There was a previous thread on this subject which I contrbuted to and it contains some good advice on this subject. There are an infinite number of ways to produce a bad CV but the basics of producing a good one are simple. Make sure it's clear, relevant, interesting, informative and above all that it SELLS you. To understand how to do that try to put yourself in the mind and position of the employer and try not to forget that what may seem obvious to you will probably not be so obvious to them.

How many people are using these agency sites? A hell of a lot? Is that because it's the easy option do you think? Can you not be more imaginative in how you approach potential employers? If so this will separate you from the crowd and along with a bespoke CV will go along way to maximising your chances of getting interviews.

Producing a good CV for yourself is a very difficult task but with a little thought along the above lines most people could do a much better job.

ikthius
17-09-2007, 20:14
Is your email still ikthius'@'hotmail.com ? (without the ' to avoid bots).

ah, I thought you sent it to the email that is stored here, 2 secs till I check

got it

ik

Edit: I got a lot of work I think on selling myself, its something I just cant do.... but will try harder

LSainsbury
17-09-2007, 20:44
Only opened the first one so I don't know if all are the same, but if was looking to employ you, your CV would be heading for the bin after reading your opening salvo.

Let me explain - using the "I do this, I do that" is not a good start. You need to completely rewrite it. Sorry - you asked for advice - take it or leave it - but as a mate once said to me when I was at a low point..."how can you learn to improve without criticism".

So - to give you an idea - this is mine:

A highly motivated and experienced systems engineer with strong focus on tactical and strategic deployments, incorporating in all aspects of server, services and desktop solutions in the Microsoft centric arena. Excellent implementation, support and team leadership skills in customer facing environments.

Not an I in sight...I'll carry on reading yours now...

ikthius
17-09-2007, 20:55
Only opened the first one so I don't know if all are the same, but if was looking to employ you, your CV would be heading for the bin after reading your opening salvo.

Let me explain - using the "I do this, I do that" is not a good start. You need to completely rewrite it. Sorry - you asked for advice - take it or leave it - but as a mate once said to me when I was at a low point..."how can you learn to improve without criticism".

So - to give you an idea - this is mine:

A highly motivated and experienced systems engineer with strong focus on tactical and strategic deployments, incorporating in all aspects of server, services and desktop solutions in the Microsoft centric arena. Excellent implementation, support and team leadership skills in customer facing environments.

Not an I in sight...I'll carry on reading yours now...

actually, I just looked at it and changed it to this just now, without reading yours yet...

A self motivated individual who is logical, enjoys problem solving, and thrives on challenges.
Willing to learn new skills to improve personal development.
Completed a distance learning course while continuing to work full time which tested time management skills.
Welcomes the challenge of changing my career to an industry where knowledge and training improve performance.

ik

LSainsbury
17-09-2007, 20:56
Right - had a flick through all of then now (I believe!)

OK - my 2p's worth:

Drop the I did this etc as above and re-write anything that includes I.

Not sure what the Tourex system is - this could go one of two way to an potential employer - it shows you are capable of learning new systems, on the other hand it might say to them - "why do we need you to be skilled in that..."

My suggestion - take the one with the most content and re-write it

A for presentation - drop the character spacing, keep to one font (not Times New Roman) and just use simple bullet points - no arrows or anything.

Use the KISS principle!!

Have a go at re-writing and re post it here when done! Good luck!

PS - PM me if you want!

ikthius
17-09-2007, 21:17
ok here is a new version of the one with most info on it, I think you meant number 3....

ik

edit: torex is a database that our council use, I was adding this in as it is not the run of the mill windows package

Osem
17-09-2007, 21:21
actually, I just looked at it and changed it to this just now, without reading yours yet...

A self motivated individual who is logical, enjoys problem solving, and thrives on challenges.
Willing to learn new skills to improve personal development.
Completed a distance learning course while continuing to work full time which tested time management skills.
Welcomes the challenge of changing my career to an industry where knowledge and training improve performance.

ik

It's all very well putting those statements in your CV but does the content support them in any way? For example, what problems have you solved and what challenges have you risen to?

Most interviewers are not stupid - they want evidence to support such claims.

ikthius
17-09-2007, 21:25
It's all very well putting those statements in your CV but does the content support them in any way? For example, what problems have you solved and what challenges have you risen to?

Most interviewers are not stupid - they want evidence to support such claims.

well that all depends, I made a program for my employers cause they used a paper based system for appointments, then moved on to excel, and not everyone is very computer literate, so I made a full proof booking system that no one could mess up. that in itself was a challenge as the staff are not computer literate, and the bosses want to make it a computerised system.

ik

Osem
17-09-2007, 21:29
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33609093-applying-for-a-new-job.html

This was the one I was thinking of.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

well that all depends, I made a program for my employers cause they used a paper based system for appointments, then moved on to excel, and not everyone is very computer literate, so I made a full proof booking system that no one could mess up. that in itself was a challenge as the staff are not computer literate, and the bosses want to make it a computerised system.

ik

Things like that should be mentioned in your CV - albeit briefly :) Verbosity is not a virtue when it comes to CVs but employers love to see evidence of success, achievement, problem recognition/solving etc.

ikthius
17-09-2007, 21:31
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33609093-applying-for-a-new-job.html

This was the one I was thinking of.

yip, thats it, was looking for ages, but I was searching for cv stuff.

well not much joy in the job front, so I was taking it was the CV, thats why I thought I would ask here for as much info on the subject as possible, what works for them and what does not.....

as I am getting nowhere with what I have.

I need to sell myself with what I have, which to be honest, I know, is not the best.

ik

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Things like that should be mentioned in your CV - albeit briefly :)

see I was getting the opposite info, from others saying no one needs to know that, why would potential employers care.....

this is my confusion on CV writing :dunce:

ik

LSainsbury
17-09-2007, 21:32
Getting better David, sorry, ik!

You need to work on that opening personal statement - needs a good few lines in there - this is the bit that will sell you.

Forgot to say - centre justify where you can!

Osem
17-09-2007, 21:35
In the words of Clint Eastwood - "Opinions are like 'bottomholes', everyone has one". The world is full of very poor CVs produced by people who offer or believe that dubious advice you refer to. It's strange but none of them have made their living producing CVs but they're so well qualified to comment - I wonder why? :)

Don't be the same as them be different. Don't cut and paste your CV format from Word - create it to suit yourself and the information you need to present. Design the layout after you have compiled the information not the other way around! How many times over the years have people told me "there wasn't room for it" - well why not ???? Show your potential employer you are different - a potential asset. It's not all about qualifications.

ikthius
17-09-2007, 22:19
Getting better David, sorry, ik!

You need to work on that opening personal statement - needs a good few lines in there - this is the bit that will sell you.

Forgot to say - centre justify where you can!

You got that from the portfolio page??????

yes it has a CV on it, but I was wnating a better one.

Osem, I see where you are going.......

ik

EDIT:
this:
Personal Statement

A self motivated individual who is a logical thinker, enjoys problem solving, thrives on challenges and has excellent time management skills.

Career Objective

To offer excellent customer relations and communication abilities as well as technical computer skills and knowledge to an organisation that can use a self-motivated and enthusiastic professional who excels at working independently and as a contributor to team efforts.

would moulding these 2 give me something?

A self motivated individual who is a logical thinker, enjoys problem solving, thrives on challenges and has excellent time management skills wishes to offer excellent customer relations and communication abilities as well as technical computer skills and knowledge to an organisation that can use an enthusiastic professional who excels at working independently and as a contributor to team efforts.

LSainsbury
18-09-2007, 16:53
You got that from the portfolio page??????

Yep! :D

Your name is out!!!

gaffer_gump
18-09-2007, 21:07
My :2cents:
Stick with what you are comfy saying, if you wanna say I say I..

I am an energetic young man seeking further employment with a progressive Company, one which will enable my numerous skills and abilities to be fully used / tested. I consider myself to be a friendly, open-minded individual with a responsible attitude befitting a team orientated worker.
I have an untapped reservoir of enthusiasm, which when viewed with my ability to quickly master new skills and adapt old ones – I am sure that you would consider me to be a most worthy and suitable candidate for employment within your Company.

homealone
18-09-2007, 22:19
my :2cents:

if the bit about how you got your extra qualifications, while working full time, is still in there, then ditch the bit about 'time management' - let them draw their own conclusions about how you managed it ;)

THUNDER1
18-09-2007, 22:21
i was told today my a career management consultant (who charge 5k per annum) to get you that a++ job that your education should come at the end of a CV, which went against every template and demo CV i've seen. He told me blue chip employers are interested in You and not clinical details.

Osem
18-09-2007, 23:17
i was told today my a career management consultant (who charge 5k per annum) to get you that a++ job that your education should come at the end of a CV, which went against every template and demo CV i've seen. He told me blue chip employers are interested in You and not clinical details.

I'm sorry but that is the sort of simplistic nonsense which drives me mad. Always do this..... always do that...........never do this..............never do that....... It's all so simple isn't it? So why do so many people get it so badly wrong even when they follow such advice?

Matth
18-09-2007, 23:20
Reverse chronological (eg. education LAST) is one approach, as your most recent training and experience will be far more significant in most cases.

Osem
19-09-2007, 08:53
Reverse chronological (eg. education LAST) is one approach, as your most recent training and experience will be far more significant in most cases.

Correct in some cases ... but then not in others. Start on the basis that you are designing the CV to be relevant to the employer's needs and the layout takes care of itself to a large extent. Treat a CV like a bespoke tailored suit, design it to suit the individual and the purpose. Avoid the 'one size fits all' approach - it may be easier but it doesn't work.

Oh and just one simple tip - bullet points lose their intended effect when a document is full of them.......

ikthius
19-09-2007, 10:49
how about this as a personal statement:

An energetic, highly motivated individual, who is logical, enjoys challenges and has an untapped reservoir of enthusiasm seeking a career change to one within a company that is progressive and dynamic who would enable my skills and abilities to being fully tested and used.

some parts are stolen from Gaffer..... :erm:

ik

LSainsbury
19-09-2007, 10:59
how about this as a personal statement:

An energetic, highly motivated individual, who is logical, enjoys challenges and has an untapped reservoir of enthusiasm seeking a career change to one within a company that is progressive and dynamic who would enable my skills and abilities to being fully tested and used.

some parts are stolen from Gaffer..... :erm:

ik

Doesn't read correctly (" seeking a career change to one within a company") - ehhh??

...and is a bit long for one sentence!

ikthius
19-09-2007, 11:32
Doesn't read correctly (" seeking a career change to one within a company") - ehhh??

...and is a bit long for one sentence!

seeking a new career ,that career is within a new company.... no?

ik
EDIT: ok how is this...
An energetic, highly motivated individual, who is logical, enjoys challenges and has an untapped reservoir of enthusiasm, seeks a career change that will enable my skills and abilities to being fully tested, used and developed upon.