PDA

View Full Version : More 50mb Trials

donaldson2121
17-09-2007, 16:44
This is probably going to cause a stir with the people currently getting poor 20mb speeds but VM are looking for new 50mb trialists in the following 3 areas:
Ashford
Folkestone
Dover

See here for more details Virgin 50mb Trials (http://www.vmpilot.net/)

Yoggy
17-09-2007, 16:59
unbelievable.

denluk
17-09-2007, 17:09
No doubt with a 5 Gig cap before being downgraded to 500K

:-)

TraxData
17-09-2007, 17:20
And with a hugely pathetic 1.5mbit upstream, count overheads in that and its bloody worthless.

Sirius
17-09-2007, 17:29
This is probably going to cause a stir with the people currently getting poor 20mb speeds but VM are looking for new 50mb trialists in the following 3 areas:
Ashford
Folkestone
Dover

See here for more details Virgin 50mb Trials (http://www.vmpilot.net/)

This is a kick in the balls for all those paying for 20 meg and not getting it. For gods sake VM sort your 20 meg out first before you start bragging about even faster speeds :rolleyes:

Agent47
17-09-2007, 17:31
Jesus of Nazereth, WTF are they playing at.

Yoggy
17-09-2007, 17:35
This is a kick in the balls for all those paying for 20 meg and not getting it. For gods sake VM sort your 20 meg out first before you start bragging about even faster speeds :rolleyes:

I really think that this is incompetent and really does show that they are not interested in a quality broadband service but just showing off and taking as much money as possible. their existing customers are suffering already and this is a kick in the teeth to them.

nicke261192
17-09-2007, 17:38
Never know if they roll out 50MB then you may find that you start to get the actual 20MB lol

Sirius
17-09-2007, 17:41
I really think that this is incompetent and really does show that they are not interested in a quality broadband service but just showing off and taking as much money as possible. their existing customers are suffering already and this is a kick in the teeth to them.

With you all the way :tu:

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Never know if they roll out 50MB then you may find that you start to get the actual 20MB lol

No lets get this in to perspective shall we. If they roll 50 meg they will charge us extra. So i would expect to get more than god dam 20 meg if i was paying for 50 meg or do you think that it is OK to be ripped off even more by VM ?

What will happen is they will state the upto crap again and give us a good butt slapping as usual

janipewter
17-09-2007, 17:42

I doubt that, on 10Mb I was getting around 2Mb at the best of times, now that I have been upgraded to 20Mb, I'm still only getting 2.

nicke261192
17-09-2007, 17:49
I doubt that, on 10Mb I was getting around 2Mb at the best of times, now that I have been upgraded to 20Mb, I'm still only getting 2.
You sure that your modem and network card etc are up to scratch. Many people are complaining that the speeds are slow but my speed is fine even though i only have the 4MB package i always get 4MB. My friend John has the 20MB package and he always gets 20MB so some people are just unlucky i guess

Sirius
17-09-2007, 18:08
You sure that your modem and network card etc are up to scratch. Many people are complaining that the speeds are slow but my speed is fine even though i only have the 4MB package i always get 4MB. My friend John has the 20MB package and he always gets 20MB so some people are just unlucky i guess

So glad your ok and your mate

How about this

3 machines in the house i can test on. All have 1 gig cards at least 2 gig of ram and all with a minimum 3 gig processor.

1 running Linux
1 running xp
1 running vista.

All clean with no spyware or virus's
All can be connect directly to the modem.
Modem is a 255 with all levels correct.

Come a Friday at 6.00pm my connection goes to pot.
Come Monday morning at 01.00 my connection goes fine.

I have had engineers on it
I have spoken to the script readers in India :LOL:

That's every weekend so WHATS THE PROBLEM THEN ????????????

Its been like that ever since the 20 meg was released in my area.

so you will have to excuse me if i do this about there 50 meg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

grabbi
17-09-2007, 18:12
So wil anyone be trying the trial then? I know its limited areas, have we got anyone from those three areas?

popper
17-09-2007, 18:13
this is what it says:

"
The Ashford Virgin Media 50 Mbps broadband pilot has now advanced to the next stage. Now every Virgin Media customer in Ashford can have the 50 Meg experience!

50Mbps for just £47 a month!
That's just £10 a month more than our 20 Mbps XL service!
Or, £22 more per month than our L (4Mbps) service.
Or, £29 more per month than our M (2Mbps) service!

The new 50 Mbps service (with 1.5 Mbps Upstream) is a Phase 2 pilot that will run from 1st October to 31st December 2007. So, if you're on the XL service, that's just £30 extra for 3 months of the fastest broadband in the country! The additional amounts will be added to your Virgin Media Broadband bill.
You'll be provided with a brand new modem and have access to our exclusive call centre who will help you get the most out of this amazing new service. (There's also a Virgin Media dedicated forum to chat with other 50 Meg'ers! ) . "

hell you can get 1.5Mbit upload on the current business package, and look at the 50Mbit ratio, SO CRAP, and you thought VM could'nt get a werse ratio than now....

denluk
17-09-2007, 18:14
And dont forget .......

It will be " UPTO 50 Meg"

So should manage at least 9 Meg !!!!!!!

alferret
17-09-2007, 18:14
Personally looking over this site and the links provided I would say that this isnt 100% legitimate and anyone handing over personal details do so at their own risk.

Just my thoughts.

I may be wrong, but better safe than sorry.

Sirius
17-09-2007, 18:17
this is what it says:

"
The Ashford Virgin Media 50 Mbps broadband pilot has now advanced to the next stage. Now every Virgin Media customer in Ashford can have the 50 Meg experience!

50Mbps for just £47 a month!
That's just £10 a month more than our 20 Mbps XL service!
Or, £22 more per month than our L (4Mbps) service.
Or, £29 more per month than our M (2Mbps) service!

The new 50 Mbps service (with 1.5 Mbps Upstream) is a Phase 2 pilot that will run from 1st October to 31st December 2007. So, if you're on the XL service, that's just £30 extra for 3 months of the fastest broadband in the country! The additional amounts will be added to your Virgin Media Broadband bill.
You'll be provided with a brand new modem and have access to our exclusive call centre who will help you get the most out of this amazing new service. (There's also a Virgin Media dedicated forum to chat with other 50 Meggers! ) . "

hell you can get 1.5Mbit upload on the current business package, and hell look at the 50Mbit ratio, SO CRAP, and you thought VM could get a nurse ratio than now....

So that is the future of High speed broadband on VM a pitiful 1.5 meg upload :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Personally looking over this site and the links provided I would say that this isnt 100% legitimate and anyone handing over personal details do so at their own risk.

Just my thoughts.

I may be wrong, but better safe than sorry.

That has been said before on this forum but it was proved to be a VM site by Staff members on this site.

Yoggy
17-09-2007, 18:19
hell you can get 1.5Mbit upload on the current business package, and hell look at the 50Mbit ratio, SO CRAP, and you thought VM could get a werse ratio than now....

But all they think that matters is that nothing on ADSL can come close to this. isn't there a body that can step in and make them prove their network can already cope and will be able to cope, and then slap an unfit for purpose on them? :)

janipewter
17-09-2007, 18:24
50Mbit down and 1.5Mbit up? LMFAO!

popper
17-09-2007, 18:30
But all they think that matters is that nothing on ADSL can come close to this. isn't there a body that can step in and make them prove their network can already cope and will be able to cope, and then slap an unfit for purpose on them? :)

the thing the VM sales team always overlooked or purposfully omitted, is the FACT ADSL+ Be* do already successfully run a live production 24Mbit/2.4Mbit upload and 1.4Mbit upload service today to many of their customers.

so that VM trial 1.5Mbit upload rate you might get (it does seem they will manage that, as upload do seem to work right ,just really set far to low) is already almost werthless for people that will be interested in a new bonded cable modem (at least i assume it is the bonded modem they intend mass trialing?.....

Agent47
17-09-2007, 18:51
The site is registered to a Neil Illingworth and the WHOIS info does not relate to VM.

Horace
17-09-2007, 19:01
I believe Neil Illingworth is/was a project manager at NTL.

TraxData
17-09-2007, 19:02

Correctomondo.

1.5mbit upload is such a **** take though...

xspeedyx
17-09-2007, 19:05
still better than 768k upload I say fair play atleast where the newtowrk can handle it you can get 50mb

TraxData
17-09-2007, 19:08
still better than 768k upload I say fair play atleast where the newtowrk can handle it you can get 50mb

768k upload is pathetic even for 20mbit, it was supposed to 1mbit till they decided to change it at the last minute.

1.5mbit on 50mbit? please, go count overheads into it, the upload will be useless.

It needs AT LEAST 2.5mbit up minimum to be worth anything.

This is how VM are apparently gonna have the fastest broadband in the UK? pfft.

my ADSL+2 has a constant 2.5mbit up ffs

popper
17-09-2007, 19:22

we have been here before
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33606090-50-meg-pilot-or-not.html

the original external thread has moved/deleted and i cant be bothered to find the name again but was the guy then also this guy today?.

Sirius
17-09-2007, 19:34
we have been here before
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33606090-50-meg-pilot-or-not.html

the original external thread has moved/deleted and i cant be bothered to find the name again but was the guy then also this guy today?.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34195027-post8.html

I am checking this out now on the company network. :)

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

I can now say that this person does indeed work for NTL. I have just looked on the internal directory at NTL and he does appear on there and in the role he has said he does. :tu:

I have just logged in and checked this.

Yep if that guy said he was real then i for one will except that as gospel

As for 1.5 meg that have to be joking. Anyone worth there salt would know that 1.5 meg up is pushing it for a 50 meg connection

Rone
17-09-2007, 19:37
I dont care if its true or false, but its going to happen eventually, why bother, if you cant supply a steady reliable service at 20, its futile. :(

Sirius
17-09-2007, 19:40
I dont care if its true or false, but its going to happen eventually, why bother, if you cant supply a steady reliable service at 20, its futile. :(

Just another VM way to get increased money in Subscriptions.

popper
17-09-2007, 19:48

fair play,are you joking? , you do realise its close to a 33 to 1 ratio for the trial 50/1.5
that is truely the worst ration in the whole country (perhaps even the world), infact it beats the current worst record as already set by VM with their 20Mbit/768k

thats fair play to you for the most expensive consumer BB package.....

Sirius
17-09-2007, 19:56
fair play,are you joking? , you do realise its close to a 33 to 1 ratio for the trial 50/1.5
that is truly the worst ration in the whole country (perhaps even the world), in fact it beats the current worst record as already set by VM with their 20Mbit/768k

that's fair play to you for the most expensive consumer BB package.....

It beggars belief it really does.

slowcoach
17-09-2007, 19:57
I liked the bit where he said that they are not using the normal servers for the trial, perhaps that's why the 20 Meg trial passed the test, what will happen when they put the 50 Meg users on their normal servers, hey! but it's only £10 a month more than the current XL BB, think I'll have two. :dunce:

I can see another 25 Million Pound advertising campaign around the corner, wish I had shares in Uma Thurman. :sleep:

popper
17-09-2007, 20:02
you cant officially have 2 (of any current BB package even), the VM accounts package doesnt allow more than one BB per household.....

yet another lost revenue stream, end users might pay for more than one BB line, but we cant have them officially.....

Nedkelly
17-09-2007, 20:17
At first i thought the thread was a joke but having looked into it yes they are running trials :confused:As others have said sort out the 20 meg first :mad:I do belive you will get a new modem for the trial but i dont know which make

popper
17-09-2007, 20:22
i thought it was one of those pre Euro-Docsis3(150d/120u) ipv6 bonded models one or two of the guys on the old 50 Mbit threads posted about using.

cant be bothered to look for the posts.

phil699
17-09-2007, 20:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoggy

With you all the way

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicke261192

with you all the way! VM are just trying to be the best with the 50mb, they dont actually seem to care about the quality of what were actually getting!

AbyssUnderground
17-09-2007, 20:27
Make it 50Mbps with 5Mbps upload and I might consider it, IF it works... (which we all know it won't ;))

Rone
17-09-2007, 20:37
"wish I had shares in Uma Thurman"

As long as thats all you wish you had. ;)

scousefella
17-09-2007, 20:40
It will be " UPTO 50 Meg"

when have you ever seen a VM ad saying UP TO? BT are the ones who say up to

love2learn
17-09-2007, 20:46
I have the XL 20MB service at the moment, and I'm happy with it. Most webservers won't allow me to download at it's full capability, so I use "Download Accelerator Plus", which works excellent, it opens around 10 connections to the webserver, a bit like torrents. And I can on most occasions get 2.4mb/sec the most I've hit was 3.2mb/sec. I've had cable internet since the 512k service. And I find that for every 512k, you tend to get 60k/sec in practice. So if downloading a large file of say... 100mb + from a good webserver with the 50mb service from past performance I'd be expecting around
6mb/sec. I have no reason to doubt I will get this, because I have always got what I expected before. Here's some proof bellow ;)

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=virginmedia20mbau3.jpg

xspeedyx
17-09-2007, 21:26
Okay I can understand your concern with the way the network is atm but one thing you dont have to use the 50mb service now do you so it doesnt really matter f its a **** upload as you dont wanna use so not really gonna affect you I do wish it was higher but nothing you or I can do so in effect we have to deal with it

|Kippa|
17-09-2007, 21:51
What would you really need 1.5mbit for anyway? 1.5mbit would be fine for bitorrent and even for real time strategy games it would be alright. There will come a time when 1.5mbit doesn't meet the needs of the general user, but I don't think that time has come just yet.

TraxData
17-09-2007, 21:54
What would you really need 1.5mbit for anyway? 1.5mbit would be fine for bitorrent and even for real time strategy games it would be alright. There will come a time when 1.5mbit doesn't meet the needs of the general user, but I don't think that time has come just yet.

50mbit isnt needed for the "general" user if you go on that view.

Meaning 50mbit is aimed at the other users, the ones who crave for speed.

so the 1.5mbit upload is a **** take

Richy99
17-09-2007, 23:26
didnt the 20meg trial start off with 512 upload and then change ? afterall it is a trial not set in stone

janipewter
18-09-2007, 00:20
I thought the 20Mb always had 768Kb upload?

Horace
18-09-2007, 00:53
Personally, if this is going to be an extra tier/more money, if it does go live it'll be the first time I'm not on the top tier since I joined NTL on 512Kbps(768). There just isn't the content available for me to justify spending more to increase above 20meg and with the way ISP's are tightening up on usage, I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

spankysmagicpian
18-09-2007, 01:06
Wonder if the VIP users will get it thrown in for the £85?

janipewter
18-09-2007, 07:52
50Mb with a 3 gig cap, enjoy 8 minutes of great download speeds before you get kicked back to 5Mb lol.

smarty
18-09-2007, 08:12
I have been on the 50Mbps trials in Ashford since February and consistantly get 50megs!

Agent47
18-09-2007, 08:14
I have been on the 50Mbps trials in Ashford since February and consistantly get 50megs!

The you wake up from the land of nod.

smarty
18-09-2007, 08:23
Eh?

ECW_Original
18-09-2007, 08:58
Eh?

Ahhh, good to know that sarcasm isnt wasted here on the forums :)

douglet
18-09-2007, 12:13
**********You sure that your modem and network card etc are up to scratch. Many people are complaining that the speeds are slow but my speed is fine even though i only have the 4MB package i always get 4MB. My friend John has the 20MB package and he always gets 20MB so some people are just unlucky i guess*******

what a pathetic comment, some people are just unlucky, when ure paying for a service you do not get full capability out of its nothing to do with luck its like saying "it was ok for Osama bin Laden to kill all those people in the Trade Centre, SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST UNLUCKY I GUESS"

VM need to get off their tushies and start upgrading cables/UBR's before rolling out speeds that they know the network can't handle just to look better than sky.

xspeedyx
18-09-2007, 13:14
*dreams of 50mb for 6 minutes*

Hugh
18-09-2007, 13:44
**********You sure that your modem and network card etc are up to scratch. Many people are complaining that the speeds are slow but my speed is fine even though i only have the 4MB package i always get 4MB. My friend John has the 20MB package and he always gets 20MB so some people are just unlucky i guess*******

what a pathetic comment, some people are just unlucky, when ure paying for a service you do not get full capability out of its nothing to do with luck its like saying "it was ok for Osama bin Laden to kill all those people in the Trade Centre, SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST UNLUCKY I GUESS"

VM need to get off their tushies and start upgrading cables/UBR's before rolling out speeds that they know the network can't handle just to look better than sky.

Agree with the upgrade requirements, but a fairly inappropriate comparison, equating 3000 people killed in a terrorist attack with slow BB speeds.

popper
18-09-2007, 16:08
heres the post from orange (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=4341)
Virgin Media Representative, and the apparent network architect
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=18124990#post18124990
"
50Mbps Pilot Moves to...Phase 2!
This'll set the cat among the pigeons....https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/69.gif

I'm the network architect within the Virgin Media trials team. We're moving the 50 Mbps pilot on to the next stage in Ashford, we're calling rather imaginatively, Phase 2!

We want to recruit as many 50 Mbps pilots as we can in Ashford, Folkstone and Dover and I have been asked to post details here. So, if you're interested, please sign up and we'll be in touch!

Details are on our trials website...

www.vmpilot.net/ashford (http://www.vmpilot.net/ashford)
www.vmpilot.net/folkestone (http://www.vmpilot.net/folkestone)
www.vmpilot.net/dover (http://www.vmpilot.net/dover)

(Last time I made such an "announcement" there was a lot of people wondering if this was a scam, it's not, it's real. But because it's not a launched product yet, and it's only available in a limited area, we're not hosting on the Virgin Media website, yet!)."

popper
18-09-2007, 18:24
hmm interesting if the trialists can infact request far better ratio's and actually get a/several better upload rate(s)/ratio's set in stone, and so eventually available to the masses....

from the above DS thread
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by popper https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/9.gif (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=18149289#post18149289)
Orange, being the current Virgin Media network architect ,is it you thats set the initial ratios for the trials and commercial packages?.

if so, can you please explain the/your reason behind setting the apparent 33/1 ratio of the 50Mbit/1.5Mbit trial and indeed the current 20Mbit/768k ratio , why are they set so badly, and currently stand as the worst UK ratios available to the consumer market in the whole country?.

any insight and thoughts from you and the upper VM sales teams that advertise the Virgin media packages in the UK would be most welcome regarding these ratio's.

orange (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=4341)
Virgin Media Representative

What do you mean by "current"?? Have your heard something??! https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/10.gif Actually, I'm the Architect within the Trials Team, so I can't really comment on the whole network.

However, there is a lot of logic behind the numbers we're using for this pilot. The DOCSIS protocol chops up the available bandwidth (RF spectrum) by giving most of what's available to the downstream (which makes sense!). The ratio we're using in Ashford, Folkestone and Dover is what we've found to work well for most people and makes good use of that spectrum.

We also work very closely with our trialists to see what their demands are, and that helps us create a ratio that the vast majority of people are happy with. But it is a pilot, so if we find trialists want more upstream, then we'll work with them to find a more suitable ratio.

Hope that answers your question??!"

xspeedyx
18-09-2007, 18:48
that a good reason for a upload of 1.5mb but if it was more I am sure people will still complain as some people are never happy as I just am happy with my 768k upload to be honest my personal views are that I wuld be happy with the old 384k upload as i use torrents and my client just runs all the time and I dont use private trackers so the ratio isnt enforce so much and i can complete the upload when i choose

NTLVictim
18-09-2007, 19:11
>>they trialled 50 Meg in KENT???

The pikey/chav/nonce/open cabinet/steal for your next fix centre of the universe???

They've got it already..the cloners, that is, the rest bang rocks together!

Rik
18-09-2007, 20:08
Bring it on!

1.5MB upload is more than enough for me :)
Dont care what it gets shaped to after 4pm, my machine leeches from 8am till 4pm, i can live with the shaping when i get home, im watching what ive downloaded in the evening.

As for they cannot supply 20MB argument, they can here ;)

WELL DONE VM!

Bring it to Hertfordshire next please :D

In case you are wondering what i need it for, its for HD content, legal of course ;)

Bring on the 1080p files!

PS all you people moaning about 1.5MB upload, you need to take a long hard look into how cable technology works and how upload speed effects it.

popper
18-09-2007, 20:56
LOL Rik, your a funny guy.

"PS all you people moaning about 1.5MB upload, you need to take a long hard look into how cable technology works and how upload speed effects it."

BTW thats Mb Megabit not MB MegaByte but i assume you did a typo so thats ok.

moaning no, asking VM cable to finally provide a better ratio and upload rate thats at least on par with other currently advertised 3d partys products we are then willing to pay for long term, yes.

if you took your own advice, you would know 1.5Mbit on a 50Mbit is chicken feed and tantamount to limiting your reaching that full 50Mbit down with overheads on some content,protocols etc even from internal VM servers to end users.

but all you see is the big 50Mbit download No without thinking about the need for the matching upload speeds, the ratio is werse than the 20Mbit/768k and so will effect the download more.

from the official spec
pre Docsis3 150Mbit (or 152Mbit/160Mbit if you prefer) download rate
pre Docsis3 120Mbit UPLOAD rate

EuroDocsis3 over 200Mbit, 4 x 51Mbit

susan
18-09-2007, 22:04
Wow so many believe this,has april fool's day come early.

Sirius
19-09-2007, 07:43

Joking aside unfortunately this is true they are testing a" i have a bigger pipe than you connection ":rolleyes:

Chris
19-09-2007, 10:02

Only if it was April 1st when you posted that. ;)

VM are looking at 50Mb, have been for some time in fact. The real difference between 50Mb and 20Mb services, apart from the speed, is that new hardware is required, both in the home and on the network. So the trials are aimed at establishing how best to make it all work.

We're not going to see a sudden upgrade to 50Mb in the same way as they have pushed speeds up so far, this is going to take them a little longer and I would guess will be offered as a premium service.

xspeedyx
19-09-2007, 10:25
Due to the DOCSIS is gonna be changed and new hardware been added to the network vm wouldnt offer 50mb if the network cnt handle it then thye would lose more money by people disconnecting I know there is 20mb problem but hopefully with the required upgrades on the DOCSIS and hardware all will be sorted

samuel
19-09-2007, 13:10
Bring it on I say. Can't wait. No matter what upload is offered, people will always moan. It is still heaps better than a couple of years ago.

xspeedyx
19-09-2007, 13:12
have to agree with you I would just to love to test the dam thing but hopeful when release staff can just upgrade and pay the extra which will be well I aint sure

slowcoach
19-09-2007, 13:23
Currently struggling to hit 2 Meg, with everyone at work/school, that's the reality.

TraxData
19-09-2007, 14:58
Currently struggling to hit 2 Meg, with everyone at work/school, that's the reality.

That wouldnt be a problem with the 50mbit trial, as it uses Pre-Docsis3, bonded modems and is also used on a different frequency (as to not affect other services) your getting more than double the bandwith to share, so you really shouldnt get slowdown (not many servers will give out 50mbit anyway, giganews maxes out around 40-45mbit).

Will be years before it gets rolled out though, kent/ashford etc have a completely different setup compared to the rest of VM network, and i dont think VM have the money to do a major rollout of docsis3/network upgrades needed to get to 50mbit.

cookster
19-09-2007, 15:37
It's just a number like 20mbit. My UBR is over subscribed so I pay the same but get an inferior service. How's that justice?

Chris
19-09-2007, 15:50
It's not justice. You get justice when someone who commits a crime against you is punished.

If you think VM's service amounts to fraud or some other offence, then make a complaint and pursue them through the courts. Assuming you win, of course, your 'justice' might be seeing them get a fine of some kind. You still wouldn't get 20Mb. They might just have to change the wording of their adverts (which, let's face it, would be cheaper than actually giving everyone 20Mb, or something appoaching it, most of the time).

Overall, however, I think you're getting a bit too hot under the collar, talking about justice like that. There are people being raped, murdered, robbed and defrauded of their life savings all over the world, every day of the week, and often the criminals don't get caught. I think that's a more appropriate topic if you want to go around demanding justice.

Rik
20-09-2007, 00:13
LOL Rik, your a funny guy.

Why thank you very much ;)

Now can I have my 50Mb ;)

spankysmagicpian
20-09-2007, 00:24
PS all you people moaning about 1.5MB upload, you need to take a long hard look into how cable technology works and how upload speed effects it.

Me thinks you don't practise what you preach. Try actually reading about things properly instead of spouting off blindly without knowing the facts.

cookster
20-09-2007, 08:35
It's not justice. You get justice when someone who commits a crime against you is punished.

If you think VM's service amounts to fraud or some other offence, then make a complaint and pursue them through the courts. Assuming you win, of course, your 'justice' might be seeing them get a fine of some kind. You still wouldn't get 20Mb. They might just have to change the wording of their adverts (which, let's face it, would be cheaper than actually giving everyone 20Mb, or something appoaching it, most of the time).

Overall, however, I think you're getting a bit too hot under the collar, talking about justice like that. There are people being raped, murdered, robbed and defrauded of their life savings all over the world, every day of the week, and often the criminals don't get caught. I think that's a more appropriate topic if you want to go around demanding justice.

Wow, i'm getting hot under the collar LOL. I like most of the stuff VM do, just not a fanboy like yourself.

Justice doesn't just apply to law: noun - just behaviour or treatment

Yoggy
20-09-2007, 10:36
I think you're getting a bit too hot under the collar,

He is? your's is the long rant I just read!

Rone
20-09-2007, 11:06
How many people need fast upload compared to download i wonder?

Chris
20-09-2007, 11:13
He is? your's is the long rant I just read!

Size doesn't matter - it's what you do with it that counts. ;)

slowcoach
20-09-2007, 11:21
Looks like BT may be the answer ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7001413.stm

Numenor
20-09-2007, 21:07

"It is estimated that upgrading the whole of the UK to a fibre-based network could cost £10-15bn."

Yeah that is definitely going to happen...........:rolleyes:

Sirius
20-09-2007, 21:39

Why should my taxes be used to bail out BT. Let them pay for there upgrades the same as any other privately owned company or are my taxes going to be used to help ALL the telecoms companies. BT are a privately owned company and Government money should NOT be spent on them as it will end up in shareholders pockets. BT have more than enough money to fund there own networks.

If BT want fibre then they should go cap in hand to those using their Network Sky, Tiscalie, AOL, Orange and the rest, They should not be going cap in hand to the Government because of there own inadequate forward thinking and lack of planing.

God this Government ****es me off spending my taxes on ****

Mick Fisher
21-09-2007, 01:37
Why should my taxes be used to bail out BT. Let them pay for there upgrades the same as any other privately owned company or are my taxes going to be used to help ALL the telecoms companies. BT are a privately owned company and Government money should NOT be spent on them as it will end up in shareholders pockets. BT have more than enough money to fund there own networks.

If BT want fibre then they should go cap in hand to those using their Network Sky, Tiscalie, AOL, Orange and the rest, They should not be going cap in hand to the Government because of there own inadequate forward thinking and lack of planing.

I hear where you are coming from and agree, but in fairness the only reason some other Countries can benefit from high BB speeds is that their networks were built or upgraded with subsidies from the public purse.

BT and the rest should never have been denationalised in the first place IMO.

Hugh
21-09-2007, 09:31
I hear where you are coming from and agree, but in fairness the only reason some other Countries can benefit from high BB speeds is that their networks were built or upgraded with subsidies from the public purse.

BT and the rest should never have been denationalised in the first place IMO.

I have to disagree re the BT denationalisation - I remember when you had to buy your handset from BT (with miminal choice of handsets), when response times for faults/installations were in weeks, not days, and I am glad to be rid of the "well, if you don't like it, where else are you going to go" mindset that was prevalent at the time (imho).

Chris
21-09-2007, 10:02
I have to disagree re the BT denationalisation - I remember when you had to buy your handset from BT (with miminal choice of handsets), when response times for faults/installations were in weeks, not days, and I am glad to be rid of the "well, if you don't like it, where else are you going to go" mindset that was prevalent at the time (imho).

Completely agree - all these people with their unbundled phone/broadband deals, other companies putting their kit in BT exchanges - would any of that have happened if BT was still a State monolith?

xspeedyx
21-09-2007, 10:07
Completely agree - all these people with their unbundled phone/broadband deals, other companies putting their kit in BT exchanges - would any of that have happened if BT was still a State monolith?

Fair point wasnt is ofcom that told bt they had to let the exchanges be used via other companies

Chris
21-09-2007, 10:10
Fair point wasnt is ofcom that told bt they had to let the exchanges be used via other companies

I'm not certain of the details but I think Ofcom's ruling may have been more about the timing - forcing BT to speed up the process - rather than ordering them to do it at all. I think unbundling may always have been in the long-term plan, post privatisation.

Numenor
21-09-2007, 13:24

Did anyone actually read the article?

Where does it mention BT???? Nowhere!

Sirius
21-09-2007, 18:38
Did anyone actually read the article?

Where does it mention BT???? Nowhere!There on about BT you can tell. There is noway in hell that they would help the other company's. Its as simple as that. BT are lagging behind and will lag even further behind as time goes on. All this talk of Cn21 is about switches and inter switch links, It will NOT be replacing the 2 pair cable to your house. Until BT moves away from speaker wire and drags itself into this century they will lag behind.

markknell
11-10-2007, 18:06
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at you lot. You sit there bitching at an unfinished trial that you're not even on. Get a life will you.

When, or if this service is rolled out to the rest of the UK you have a choice whether to take it or not. It seems pretty stupid to me write it off before it goes live or more importantly you've had a chance to try it yourself. :dunce:

But then I guess I can come to that conclusion being on the trial myself :angel:

I await some equally educated replies with bated breath :sleep:

buba3d
11-10-2007, 20:43
something was far wrong yesterday, anywho, downloading some dvds (i admit it) from a news group, my speed usually starts at 19mb -20mb, however this was well in the 3-4 bracket, ie 30-40 mb range, the dvd took less than 20 mins to download and thats 7 gigs.

Thank god i live in a perfect bb place

Gazza90000
12-10-2007, 09:23
Reading through the thread.. Its should be no suprise that 50-100mb is on its way its called progress.

I am happy with Virgin 20mb . I never expected 20mb but its usually around 16-17 mb ...;)

I find the alternatives are less appealing.:td:

dav
12-10-2007, 10:06
I am happy with Virgin 20mb . I never expected 20mb but its usually around 16-17 mb ...;)

I find it odd when people make comments like this.
When I order a pint of beer, I expect my pint pot to be as full as possible.
Are you saying you would settle for the level being an inch short of the fill line?

Horace
12-10-2007, 10:38
He probably thinks like that, as I do, because the upgrade from 10meg was virtually free, as was the upgrade from 3meg to 10 iirc, it certainly wasn't triple the price. It's also better than he'll get with any other ISP unless he happens to live very close to an exchange.

Gazza90000
12-10-2007, 16:21
He probably thinks like that, as I do, because the upgrade from 10meg was virtually free, as was the upgrade from 3meg to 10 iirc, it certainly wasn't triple the price. It's also better than he'll get with any other ISP unless he happens to live very close to an exchange.

I find it odd a comment like this as I agree.

iTekweni
12-10-2007, 16:28
I do not want any free upgrades if it is anything like the last freeby