PDA

View Full Version : Who is the cheapest for PAYG mobile GPRS internet

JohnWB
17-09-2007, 08:36
Does anyone know which of the mobile service providers is the cheapest for pay as you go GPRS mobile internet connection. I am on Orange PAYG & they charge £4 per meg, which can soon add up. I use an Orange SPV M1000 & don't make many phone calls but tend to use the internet more

Graham M
17-09-2007, 09:01
If it's Internet you're interested in, why not get a contract with a data tariff included?

JohnWB
17-09-2007, 09:21
Thats what I have now

punky
17-09-2007, 09:31
T-mobile is probably best. For £7.50 a month they give you 'unlimited' browsing. You can add it to flext or u-fix. Its contract only though. If you want to PAYG, its £1 a day.

Florence
17-09-2007, 10:49
The cloud is perhaps worth a look http://www.thecloud.net/For-you/Pay-as-you-go

dragon
26-09-2007, 21:46
The cloud is perhaps worth a look http://www.thecloud.net/For-you/Pay-as-you-go

isn't that a wi-fi network

T-mobiles web'n'walk is 1gb for the £7.50 one ;)

Windoze9t8
26-10-2007, 00:11
Not sure if you are still requiring info on this topic but just thought I'd mention Orange charge users £5.00 per week for PAYG access (unlimited) or for Contract users 30MB for £8.00 per Month (bit steep)

I heard a rumour that since O2 are launching the iPhone on there network soon and giving unlimited access to internet, orange have decided to offer unlimited access too (by Xmas) - just catching up with the likes of t-mobile etc.

Bring it on............

jcw00
22-11-2007, 20:51
Virgin Mobile charge ½p per KB which works out at £5 per MB. However this rates is the same when roaming anywhere in the world, so could be cheaper for just checking emails as opposed to internet cafe's.

dragon
22-11-2007, 21:01
Virgin Mobile charge ½p per KB which works out at £5 per MB. However this rates is the same when roaming anywhere in the world, so could be cheaper for just checking emails as opposed to internet cafe's.

1mb goes VERY quickly, pertucally if you forget to turn off things like antivirus/os auto updates.etc (assuming you connect your laptop to the phone)

jcw00
22-11-2007, 21:29
1mb goes VERY quickly, pertucally if you forget to turn off things like antivirus/os auto updates.etc (assuming you connect your laptop to the phone)

GPRS is to slow for general browsing, and I would never connect any computer to my mobile. I use it for checking and sending emails using the phones built in email client.

dragon
22-11-2007, 21:46
GPRS is to slow for general browsing, and I would never connect any computer to my mobile. I use it for checking and sending emails using the phones built in email client.

Its doable, (browsing on GPRS) I did it for a week once when I was away on a training course.

I have the e220 on t-mobile but I in some village in the middle of nowhere and all i could get was a weak GPRS signal (no 3g :( )

m8internet
23-11-2007, 15:34
I too am on orange PAYG and use this exclusively for eMail and MSN Messenger
I purchase £5 a month and convert this into 1 months Orange World Access which is £4 for 16MB
If I am going to be online a lot in one day, then I convert 1 days Orange World Access for £1 for "unlimited" access

I recently enquired into three.co.uk broadband on PAYG for use on my HTC orange SPV M2000 but three said it is not compatible and broadband is not available on their PAYG tarriff, but could sell me a Nokia N95 on a monthly contract which is not what I was interested in so I hung up

Lord Nikon
24-11-2007, 02:48
The M2000 isn't compatible with 3 as it's not a 3g capable device. it's the HTC Blue Angel and is merely a quad band PDA Phone.

You WOULD need a 3g phone to use Three's network.

Again the M1000 is also not a 3g device, that one is the HTC Himalaya - otherwise known as the O2 XDAII

both not bad phones, but without the 3g data on them will always be slow. Though the Blue Angel does have Wifi and both could connect via a PC with bluetooth

m8internet
24-11-2007, 06:14
I find GPRS perfectly acceptable for eMail and MSN Messenger, when on the move

General web browsing on GPRS isn't really possible
Earlier in the year I was attending an exhibition and could have used their WiFi, but at £10 for an hour or £25 for each day that is too expensive for personal use, I went for the orange unlimited one day orange world for £1
All I wanted to do was check on some eBay bids and prices, and compare to some of the traders present to see if there were any bargains
The main problem is some websites swap between servers and secure servers, and it is their use of secure servers that slows it down even more!

dragon
24-11-2007, 11:13
I find GPRS perfectly acceptable for eMail and MSN Messenger, when on the move

General web browsing on GPRS isn't really possible

Oh yes it is, I've done it... :p:

although it does help that t-mobile have a proxy that compresses images to make pages load faster.

OliverM
05-02-2011, 14:06
I know this is kind of an old thread, but there's a relatively new network operator that I've been using for almost a year now that gives me truly unlimited mobile internet, with no fair usage policy, and I mean unlimited since I eat through 15-20GB a month, they also give me unlimited texts and free same network calls for 3 months as well as 250 minutes of call time all for £10 a month, you can get a free sim from http://www.giffgaff-sims.co.uk/unlimited_internet_sim.html which also supplies Micro sims for iPhone 4s.

jimpy0
05-02-2011, 19:06
was just about to also suggest Giffgaff, been with since mid last year. Only actually had to put my hand in MY pocket once to top up - suggest friends and answer Q's on the community page have paid all my other top-ups ----------- and unlimited is truly as stated UNLIMITED :)