PDA

View Full Version : Is Norwich (NR3) just Sloooooooow?

scalexkid
16-09-2007, 14:34
The question is in the post title, two different speed tests have given 36 kilobits/sec (quick speed test via this forum) and 57.2 on bandwithplace.com (rated slow)

Am on 2 Mb service, never been too sure what kilobits are, relative to 2mb service (although its obvious, even to me, that an average of, say, 47 kb/sec is approx 1/40th of 2Mb.............)

So, am I the only one with a slow weekend service, as this sort of page loading speed takes me back to the 'good old days of 'dial-up''.

And, would contacting VM cust serv do any good, apart from running up a huge phone bill, presumably they are aware/monitor speeds?

scalexkid

Mick Fisher
16-09-2007, 16:27
The question is in the post title, two different speed tests have given 36 kilobits/sec (quick speed test via this forum) and 57.2 on bandwithplace.com (rated slow)

Am on 2 Mb service, never been too sure what kilobits are, relative to 2mb service (although its obvious, even to me, that an average of, say, 47 kb/sec is approx 1/40th of 2Mb.............)

So, am I the only one with a slow weekend service, as this sort of page loading speed takes me back to the 'good old days of 'dial-up''.

And, would contacting VM cust serv do any good, apart from running up a huge phone bill, presumably they are aware/monitor speeds?

scalexkid
Carefull you don't get your bits and Bytes mixed up.
A kB is 8 times larger than a kb.

Armed with this knowledge, check again and make sure your speeds are really as poor as you first thought. :)

scalexkid
16-09-2007, 19:37
Carefull you don't get your bits and Bytes mixed up.
A kB is 8 times larger than a kb.

Armed with this knowledge, check again and make sure your speeds are really as poor as you first thought. :)

Mick, thanks for the info, so at a ratio of 8:1 - maybe its just 1/5th the 2Mb service instead of 1/40th?

And the page load speed really is slow. I am running a G5 iMac on OS 10.3.9, have checked and repaired permissions (although most of the repaired ones did refer to internet.....)

Compared to just Friday evening it has slowed, and worse, now the kids are moaning. If only they could remember what the modem handshake sounds were, they would appreciate just how things have changed for SoHo users.

Scalexkid

scalexkid
17-09-2007, 15:56
all, its now @ 1.77 megabits, so quite a bit faster then yesterday.........

scalexkid