PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a new business

Nidge
16-09-2007, 12:40
Ok then folks, I'm looking to start my own business, after mulling it over for a few weeks / months I've decided to go for it.

I'm looking at going into the transport business with a 7.5 tonne lorry delivering to all major parts of the UK, I've have sourced a lorry with a sleeper cab it's got everything I need like a bed, microwave, TV, DVD player etc etc, it's got a tail lift at the rear so no need to wait for forklift truck drivers when you get to your destination.

What I'm stuck on is how to market myself and how to get associated with companies you want to do work for things like promotional letters, pricing and all the other services I will be offering.

Any info will be much appreciated

Paul K
16-09-2007, 12:47
If you know what companies you want to target why not call them and ask if you can get some time with them to discuss trialing you?
Tail lifts are ok in saving time but have you sourced something like this: here (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=74835&ts=43179) as some companies do not allow people to use their equipment die to health and safety and equipment availability? Also some yard layouts make tail lift trucks problematic due to space restrictions etc.

Mr Angry
16-09-2007, 12:53
I've have sourced a lorry with a sleeper cab it's got everything I need like a bed, microwave, TV, DVD player etc etc, it's got a tail lift at the rear so no need to wait for forklift truck drivers when you get to your destination.

Simply take the ferry to France and park in the overnight lorry stop at Cherbourg with a big sign on the side of yours saying "Luxury illegal immigration service to Britain - see driver for details" .

It's a sure fire winner!!

Graham M
16-09-2007, 12:56
Yeah and if customs want a look, tell em you're working for the M.O.D and your cargo is top secret (and hope they don't call the M.O.D) ;)

Nidge
16-09-2007, 12:57
If you know what companies you want to target why not call them and ask if you can get some time with them to discuss trialing you?
Tail lifts are ok in saving time but have you sourced something like this: here (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=74835&ts=43179) as some companies do not allow people to use their equipment die to health and safety and equipment availability? Also some yard layouts make tail lift trucks problematic due to space restrictions etc.

I've already got a pallet truck Paul, it works well with the tail lift.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Simply take the ferry to France and park in the overnight lorry stop at Cherbourg with a big sign on the side of yours saying "Luxury illegal immigration service to Britain - see driver for details" .

It's a sure fire winner!!

LOL rep added, I might give it a whirl.:D:D:D

ikthius
16-09-2007, 13:23
Ok then folks, I'm looking to start my own business, after mulling it over for a few weeks / months I've decided to go for it.

I'm looking at going into the transport business with a 7.5 tonne lorry delivering to all major parts of the UK, I've have sourced a lorry with a sleeper cab it's got everything I need like a bed, microwave, TV, DVD player etc etc, it's got a tail lift at the rear so no need to wait for forklift truck drivers when you get to your destination.

What I'm stuck on is how to market myself and how to get associated with companies you want to do work for things like promotional letters, pricing and all the other services I will be offering.

Any info will be much appreciated

if its only one truck, dont get the tail lift, what if its a sound engine and truck, but the mechanics of the tail, might fail, more often than the truck.

start small, get established, make some small profit, then move up with another truck, then more trucks, then tail lifts

send out letters or cold call, as said above, to try to get started, once started promote yourself on the net

ik

Escapee
16-09-2007, 15:22
Yeah and if customs want a look, tell em you're working for the M.O.D and your cargo is top secret (and hope they don't call the M.O.D) ;)

Unfortunately you can only get away with that one if you have an official letter from a list X company security officer on behalf of the MOD.

I have never seen the letter because I have never needed to open it on the few occassions I have been involved in transporting high grade crypto gear, now if you can get a forged version of the letter you may stand a chance.lol:D

Matthew
16-09-2007, 18:30
A tail lift truck is not worth bothering about because with a 7.5 tonner you can only carry around 3/3.5 tonnes of cargo.

You want to get your self around to some of your local haulage companies stating that you have a 7.5 and if they have any jobs to give you a bell. You will get the odd special job maybe to Scotland or Devon area as it could be urgent freight that needs sending out and is not worth sending out a full truck to.

We used to have our 7.5 tonners in London most of the time when I was working in haulage and this is where most of our work was.

Best bet is get around to your local hauliers and let them know your there.