PDA

View Full Version : 20MB Broadband Problem

amarmc24
16-09-2007, 10:39
Hello;

I have got 20MB broadband but I have never got speeds over 8MB. The engineers have been called out 3 times, on the first occasion he changed the modem, second occasion he changed the power supply and on the third occasion he changed the wire.

None of those things made a difference. I know they cap the speeds during peak times but my speed is always too slow for 20MB.

I have phoned there helpline enough times and all they want to do is send an engineer out.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I have the black cable modem (Model Number : 255).

apuk2004
16-09-2007, 10:55
To test your own equipment/setup, connect directly to your modem or router using an ethernet cable and do several speedtests at different times of the day. There's a basic speedtest tool at the top of this forum.

I too have the (up to) 20meg service and find I only really get max speeds early in the morning. Downloading or streaming stuff from sites outside the UK ,at any other time, can be slower than 1mb! :td:

Hope this helps

xpod
16-09-2007, 11:20
Dont rely on this....or any other speedtest to give you a reliable indication of your speeds.
Better to try downloading a few large files from Virgin.

3 months 2 weeks from the time of our 20Mb upgrade,to the time it actually turned up.

EDIT:Many people do see their overall max speeds on certain speedtests and thats not in dispute.Always check with the downloads before or after any speedtest though and find out for yourself what your comparisons are with the various speedtests V the downloads before you rely on them toooo much.

|Kippa|
16-09-2007, 20:17
Access to commercial newsgroups located in Europe are usually a good test for speed. In some web speed test sites it only says I get about 12 mbit, but when downloading off a commercial newsgroup (astraweb in this case) I get a solid 18mbit.