PDA

View Full Version : Statins.

Greyrider
13-09-2007, 20:28
Several months ago I raised the question of the effects on the body of statins. I know many people take them with no ill effects, however, perhaps my wife was a rarity because after ruling out any other cause the only possible cause of her hepatitis was statins. In very rare cases this turns into Auto-Immune Hepatitis - my wife was a rare case of this. The AIH was very aggressive and in a few short weeks her liver had shrunk to such an extent that an immediate transplant became neccessary. She was placed at the top of the national transplant list and received a transplant at the beginning of August. Tragically she never regained full conciousness and died 10 days ago,
I have yet to fully come to terms with it. If you are on statins, please make sure you have a regular liver function test.

EBO48
13-09-2007, 20:29
my condolances

Greyrider
13-09-2007, 20:31
Thanks, EBO48

TheBlueRaja
13-09-2007, 20:44
I'm really sorry to hear that Greyrider, to loose a loved one in such a way must be absolutely devastating.

Commiserations on your loss and my best wishes to you.

Halcyon
13-09-2007, 20:56
Sorry to hear that Greyrider.
I hope that your post is seen by other people in similar situations so they can learn about statins and what they do too.

etccarmageddon
13-09-2007, 21:31
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and thank you for the warning.

more information on satins is here if anyone needs to know what they are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statins

Tezcatlipoca
14-09-2007, 00:34
Sorry for your loss, Greyrider

TheDaddy
14-09-2007, 00:56
my condolances

Ditto, thats awful

Tinky
14-09-2007, 07:25
My deepest sympathy to you and your family Greyrider.

TheNorm
14-09-2007, 11:01
Several months ago I raised the question of the effects on the body of statins. ...

I remember your post, they thought your wife had viral hepatitis A, and she seemed to be recovering.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the warning about liver function tests. Statins are probably useful for many people, but like any drug they have side-effects. Thankfully AIH is very rare.

punky
14-09-2007, 11:40
Sorry to hear that greyrider, my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Thanx for the heads-up on statins too.

Damien
14-09-2007, 11:43
Sorry greyrider :( my condolances

tweetypie/8
14-09-2007, 12:02
Several months ago I raised the question of the effects on the body of statins. I know many people take them with no ill effects, however, perhaps my wife was a rarity because after ruling out any other cause the only possible cause of her hepatitis was statins. In very rare cases this turns into Auto-Immune Hepatitis - my wife was a rare case of this. The AIH was very aggressive and in a few short weeks her liver had shrunk to such an extent that an immediate transplant became neccessary. She was placed at the top of the national transplant list and received a transplant at the beginning of August. Tragically she never regained full conciousness and died 10 days ago,
I have yet to fully come to terms with it. If you are on statins, please make sure you have a regular liver function test.

truly sorry to read about your loss greyrider my condolences

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and thank you for the warning.

more information on satins is here if anyone needs to know what they are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statins

thanks etcc for the info on statins,to be honest i had never heard of statins before.