PDA

View Full Version : Hangover cures!

TheBlueRaja
13-09-2007, 14:35
Ok,
Give me them, i've tried Neurophen which normally always works and Aspirin and my head still feels like its being whacked from the inside.

Its 1pm, im at work and im feeling like crap, HELP!

P.s Im off for an Irn-Bru, thats supposed to work too..

Hugh
13-09-2007, 14:37
Bacon butty, banana, and full fat Coke/Irn Bru - works for me.

Don't forget to drink lots of water.

lostandconfused
13-09-2007, 14:37
lots and lots of water, and i find lucozade helps too, but i think thats just because i like it, not because of any medical reasons

TheBlueRaja
13-09-2007, 14:38
Ahh, Bannana - never thought of that, I'll get on the water too.

monkey2468
13-09-2007, 14:40
Ibuprofen and water, and if they don't work, hair of the dog.:)

TheBlueRaja
13-09-2007, 14:47
Ibuprofen and water, and if they don't work, hair of the dog.:)

I REALLY don't feel up for the old hair of the dog... Ibuprofen has already been tried.

TheDaddy
13-09-2007, 14:51
IIRC hangovers are caused by dehydration so drinking water is probably best. Head massages help when I have them to. You might find something of interest here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/features/christmas/hangovercures.shtml) as well

TheBlueRaja
13-09-2007, 14:55
Ok, im digging out the rehydration salts i got given whilst on holiday.

DocDutch
13-09-2007, 14:58
tbr, lots of water and toilets that normally does it for me to get rid of the nasty mean hangovers that combined with a fry-up :)

other then that:

STOP MOANING AND DO SOME WORK......your own fault for partying too long after Scotland won a football game (okay it was against france)

TheBlueRaja
13-09-2007, 15:02
tbr, lots of water and toilets that normally does it for me to get rid of the nasty mean hangovers that combined with a fry-up :)

other then that:

STOP MOANING AND DO SOME WORK......your own fault for partying too long after Scotland won a football game (okay it was against france)

:D

MovedGoalPosts
13-09-2007, 15:04
Best cure for a hangover - don't drink.

I fail that test every time :drunk:

Derek
13-09-2007, 15:10
*If* you were expecting to be a bit worse for wear then pouring out a pint of Irn Bru before you head out for the evening and then drinking it before you go to bed works for me every time.

Sadly not much use when the hangover isn't expected.

skyblueheroes
13-09-2007, 16:02
Water before bed with an asprin or two.
Sleep then lots of water the next day and something to get your sugar levels up.
Some normal breakfast too if you can.

bopdude
13-09-2007, 16:37
Lots of liquid, I know pints of water is hard to stomach so any hydrating / energy drink and eat some chocolate, works for me.

xpod
13-09-2007, 16:58
That`ll teach ye tae be gettin blootered ootae yer coupon like that;)

What you need is Locozade by the gallon and a belly full of food.
Or the hair o the dog of course.

Best cure for a hangover - don't drink.

The hangovers i certainly dont miss.

Halcyon
13-09-2007, 17:24
I heard a full English Breakfast is meant to work.

Plus plenty of water.

Tinky
13-09-2007, 17:35
How about a prairie oyster?

Crack a whole egg into a glass, do not break the yoke, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, then swallow whole.:erm:

bw41101
13-09-2007, 17:55
How about a prairie oyster?

Crack a whole egg into a glass, do not break the yoke, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, then swallow whole.:erm:

When you have completed the above. Take a deep breath, firmly place your left (or right) hand over your mouth, and walk (not run) briskly to the nearest bog for a jolly good Hughie and Ralph session. :sick:

Ahh that's better..! :D Burp...! ohh excuse me! :Oh:

Si thee

papa smurf
13-09-2007, 18:59
irn brew..... never fails

TheBlueRaja
13-09-2007, 20:37
Well, its finally getting better.

I've tried the following today:-

4 x Ibuprofen (2 taken at different intervals)
1 x Aspirin
1 x Banana
1 x Irn-Bru
1 X 1.5 Litre bottle of water with Dehydration Salts added
Several cups of tea
A hearty Lunch
A nice dinner

And im still feeling some effects although its nowhere near as bad as it was this morning.

Time is seems is the only real cure.

Angua
13-09-2007, 20:39
Red Bull or similar is supposed to be helpful (its the Taurine) and you should always eat before taking Ibuprofen or Asprin.

Water is good as is plenty of vitamin C either by drinking juice or the dissolved fizzy tablets.

DocDutch
13-09-2007, 21:10
Well, its finally getting better.

I've tried the following today:-

4 x Ibuprofen (2 taken at different intervals)
1 x Aspirin
1 x Banana
1 x Irn-Bru
1 X 1.5 Litre bottle of water with Dehydration Salts added
Several cups of tea
A hearty Lunch
A nice dinner

And im still feeling some effects although its nowhere near as bad as it was this morning.

Time is seems is the only real cure.

TBR didnt any1 tell you that the older you get the hangovers last longer....so in your teens you dont get them, in your 20s they last till 11am and as soon as you hit 30 then they last till bout 6pm.

Nidge
13-09-2007, 21:17
Ok,
Give me them, i've tried Neurophen which normally always works and Aspirin and my head still feels like its being whacked from the inside.

The alcohol is stripping your body of vitamin C and all the other goodness, get some fresh orange juice down you with a few Vitamin C tablets. Like what's been posted above a good old fry up does the trick. Failing that keep off the lotion.:D

homealone
13-09-2007, 22:19
in my opinion replacing body fluid can be complicated, depending how dehydrated you are?

personally , in the morning, I would prefer an 'isotonic' drink - regular lucozade is designed to provide glucose, not water, so the 'sports' version would be better for an hangover 'cure', in my opinion? ;)

Angua
13-09-2007, 22:23
in my opinion replacing body fluid can be complicated, depending how dehydrated you are?

personally I would prefer an 'isotonic' drink - regular lucozade is designed to provide glucose, not water, so the 'sports' version would be better for an hangover 'cure', in my opinion? ;)

True. I heard somewhere you can actually drink too much water and cause problems that way! :shocked:

monkey2468
13-09-2007, 22:26
The alcohol is stripping your body of vitamin C and all the other goodness, get some fresh orange juice down you with a few Vitamin C tablets. Like what's been posted above a good old fry up does the trick. Failing that keep off the lotion.:D
Me + hangover + orange juice = instant sick!:(

Pia
13-09-2007, 22:36
For some reason when i'm hungover i crave apple juice, or if my stomach is a bit less tender i can manage some orange juice, makes my mouth feel like crap though so i drink plenty of water aswell.
I guess the best hangover cure is sleep, but since that's not always an option i'd just eat as much as i could and wait...
If i set myself a mission it takes my mind off it, one time me and my friend woke up with such a stinking hangover, so i got a bath to frshen myself up and went on a mission for macdonalds food :erm: and for some reason their coke is soo nice for a hangover, all my friends agree!! :D

lostandconfused
13-09-2007, 22:37
excersize is another good, one. Go for a run, or a walk as long as its outdoors. usually perks me up

homealone
13-09-2007, 22:45
in the end I always find remembering to slug at least half a pint of plain tap water down my neck before bed works best :)

TheDaddy
13-09-2007, 23:13
in the end I always find remembering to slug at least half a pint of plain tap water down my neck before bed works best :)

Thats what I do :tu:

danielf
13-09-2007, 23:24
True. I heard somewhere you can actually drink too much water and cause problems that way! :shocked:

Drinking too much water in a short time (e.g. in a water drinking contest) can kill you as your bodily fluids gets too diluted and the electrolyte balance is disturbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

TheDaddy
13-09-2007, 23:34
Drinking too much water in a short time (e.g. in a water drinking contest) can kill you as your bodily fluids gets too diluted and the electrolyte balance is disturbed.

Especially when you are drunk as your kidney's aren't functioning very well due to the alcohol

greencreeper
13-09-2007, 23:35
Co-codamol (available from Boots) and 400mg of Ibuprofen. Nothing stronger available over the counter. Nice thick milkshake (M&S strawberry :drool: ) to settle the stomach

danielf
13-09-2007, 23:39
Especially when you are drunk as your kidney's aren't functioning very well due to the alcohol

Yeah, but who would be up for a water drinking contest after 10 pints of wife beater? :erm: :)

MovedGoalPosts
13-09-2007, 23:40
Remember alcohol is a diuretic (makes you want to take a leak). Most fruit juices, also work that way too, and those that are citrus based will be most likely to irritate your already vulnerable stomach.

Thus water in moderation, is probably the best thing you can drink after your heavy night out, and again in the morning. If you feel really bad, and want to replace some of the salts and stuff being lost, mix up a sachet of Dioralyte.

For me though the best cure is bed rest :sleep:

TheDaddy
13-09-2007, 23:53
Yeah, but who would be up for a water drinking contest after 10 pints of wife beater? :erm: :)

Well you could switch to Budweiser, with fatal consequences ;)

tweetypie/8
14-09-2007, 12:10
Ok,

definitley a hair of the dog :D

Hom3r
14-09-2007, 13:20
the best thing to do is before going to bed drink at least a pint of water.

Or drink Vodka, I have never had a hangover despite drinking loads of the stuff.

TheBlueRaja
14-09-2007, 13:51
Im the same with Jack D, although Budweiser Budvar (note the budvar bit, not the german crap) apparently strongly disagrees with me in large quantities.

CycoSymz
14-09-2007, 17:20
Anadin Extra and a Full English breakfast works for me...That is on the rare occasion that I actually sober up :D

Maggy
14-09-2007, 18:36
Drink a pint of water before bed,two paracetamol and sleep and stay in bed as long as you can.In the morning drink lots of water and fruit juice but avoid tea and coffee because they dehydrate you.You can use herbal teas though.