PDA

View Full Version : Wii is Best selling console!

Damien
13-09-2007, 12:51
It happened! The Nintendo Wii has overtaken the 360 to be the best selling console, and the number 1 console :D It joins the DS at the top the gaming pile.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/09/12/financial-times-nintendo-wii-is-now-the-best-selling-console-in-the-world

I think this is great news, as a Nintendo fan I remember when the Gamecube was failing and Sony were getting their 'Game Boy' killer, the PSP, ready declaring the end of Nintendo.

Now they are top! They took some risks but they paid off better than even they could have imagined! It looked like the power of the PS3 and 360 would wipe it off the map because people wanted 'graphics' but gameplay has won the day!

Congrats Nintendo :) The masters of gaming are back at the top

TheBlueRaja
13-09-2007, 12:58
Agreed, great news indeed to see the ninty back on top.

Im going to have to get one of these eventually.

v0id
13-09-2007, 14:43
Nothing to do with it being the cheaper of the 3 consoles either, I bet :D

Gareth
13-09-2007, 15:05
Bah, it's just 2 Gamecubes stuck together with some double-sided sticky tape, and has a controller that's just a gimmick and won't be popular.

Just like the DS, the Wii won't be successful... it's just a fad.

Damien
13-09-2007, 15:24
Bah, it's just 2 Gamecubes stuck together with some double-sided sticky tape, and has a controller that's just a gimmick and won't be popular.

I take it that was sarcastic :shocked:

If not, The DS has been successful over time and is still outselling the PSP but more than 2:1 (or 3:1 i forget). The Wii is the same and people said the DS had a gimmic.....you were being sarcastic...:dunce:

Halcyon
13-09-2007, 17:19
I have been seeing this coming for ages.
Nintendo are definately on a rollercoaster of success at the moment.

jubbi
18-09-2007, 20:02

LOL.

scrotnig
18-09-2007, 20:56
Sorry, can't see the point in these wii's. Wouldn't catch me looking a pillock like people do when using them. Obviously a "teen thing".

Tezcatlipoca
18-09-2007, 21:51
Nope. More of a "people of all ages" thing. Very wide demographic, hence the success.

Woolly One
01-10-2007, 12:02
As the title of Damien's thread suggets, too right it's the best selling console!!! We thought that we would get ahead of the game, by getting one early for christmas, for the kids - honest!:) But they appear to be disappearing off the shelves very quickly!

I've gone through http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/ on the 'best current Wii deal' Thread. Even Argos are out!

Question - Do you think that it's going to be like this all the way upto christmas, to ensure it's the most sought after console? Or are they going to flood the stores, sometime soon hopefully!!!!

superbiatch
01-10-2007, 13:05
Sorry, can't see the point in these wii's. Wouldn't catch me looking a pillock like people do when using them. Obviously a "teen thing".

Very good exercise - you should give it a go ;)

Damien
01-10-2007, 13:53
As the title of Damien's thread suggets, too right it's the best selling console!!! We thought that we would get ahead of the game, by getting one early for christmas, for the kids - honest!:) But they appear to be disappearing off the shelves very quickly!

I've gone through http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/ on the 'best current Wii deal' Thread. Even Argos are out!

Question - Do you think that it's going to be like this all the way upto christmas, to ensure it's the most sought after console? Or are they going to flood the stores, sometime soon hopefully!!!!

This is a good point, if anyone here plans to get one for christmas I would advise you get one soon. Nintendo may not be able to keep up with the demand....

Gareth
05-10-2007, 11:38
Wow, didn't realise people were already struggling to buy them now to give as Xmas presents... that's quite impressive considering it was launched almost a year ago.

Think you're right, Damien... if I didn't already have one and was looking to get one to stick under the Xmas tree, I'd be browsing t'interweb now rather than waiting till nearer the time. I bet the ebay prices will soon start to rise too, if they've not already done so.

I remember the CEO of Nintendo saying they were opening up a new manufacturing plant to try and meet demand, and thinking that this was a) too late and b) not necessary any more..... I guess I was wrong on the 2nd count.

superbiatch
05-10-2007, 11:41
The cheapest i've seen them is £179.99 by all the usual suppliers - if anyone sees them cheaper please post, i want one (been using my friends, but i just have to have one now :D)

TheDaddy
05-10-2007, 16:19
The cheapest i've seen them is £179.99 by all the usual suppliers - if anyone sees them cheaper please post, i want one (been using my friends, but i just have to have one now :D)

Keep an eye on this (http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/default.asp#wii_consoles) site ;)

ikthius
05-10-2007, 16:41
just go to game, or gamestation, they normally have them, if not they can get them quick, so pre order

gamestation:
http://www.gamestation.co.uk/cat.asp?cat=wii&t=hardware
game:
http://www.game.co.uk/Wii/Hardware/HardwareBundle/
currys:
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0948728606.119159864 4@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddmehldjjmcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Category&category_oid=-29701&fm=2&sm=2&tm=undefined

But if your wanting one, and they now available, just ring your local shops e.g. above ones, and get your name on a register, you will have one within a week

ik

superbiatch
07-10-2007, 20:27
I've tried your advice Ik, to no avail - they aren't taking names atm because they aren't sure when they are getting stock in :(

superbiatch
09-10-2007, 11:32
This site appears to have them in stock http://www.simplygames.com/info/15469/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Sports-Pack--Sonic--Wii-Remote-Grahics-Pack-WII

ikthius
09-10-2007, 11:47
I've tried your advice Ik, to no avail - they aren't taking names atm because they aren't sure when they are getting stock in :(

hey SB,

what is it you want? the console? a package?

if its a package, what games do you want?

the simply game is seeming a lot of money for really only one more game, and a skin for the controller, I would not buy there

ik
p.s. how I got mine, was walking into game and asking if they had any, they said no, went in next day, same guy, he said he will put me on a list, or say your friend was put on a list in the same shop..... they take your name and then call you, but be warned, they would want you in very early to collect it, or they will sell it on, I had to be in before midday the day they phoned.

superbiatch
09-10-2007, 11:56
hey SB,

what is it you want? the console? a package?

if its a package, what games do you want?

the simply game is seeming a lot of money for really only one more game, and a skin for the controller, I would not buy there

ik
I haven't purchased, i'm on a waiting list so will be paying the standard £179 for console with sports pack. I would like both the sonic game and big brain initially, so i'll just pick them up as and when i see them :)

ikthius
09-10-2007, 12:04
I haven't purchased, i'm on a waiting list so will be paying the standard £179 for console with sports pack. I would like both the sonic game and big brain initially, so i'll just pick them up as and when i see them :)

here is the list email for gamestation: wii@gamestation.co.uk

good luck SB, I think they are just slowing down the sales to keep demand high.
but I would take a day and trawl all the shops that could sell, like comet, curries, game, gamestation, woolworths, john lewis, argos, local game shops (smaller types) etc.

I also think your better betting the bundle from gamestation as they do have a bettter deal, but getting one could prve difficult.

my friend got one through gamestation, she kept on looking up the site, and just bought when the system let her get all to the checkout.

ik

superbiatch
09-10-2007, 12:07
here is the list email for gamestation: wii@gamestation.co.uk

good luck SB, I think they are just slowing down the sales to keep demand high.
but I would take a day and trawl all the shops that could sell, like comet, curries, game, gamestation, woolworths, john lewis, argos, local game shops (smaller types) etc.

I also think your better betting the bundle from gamestation as they do have a bettter deal, but getting one could prve difficult.

my friend got one through gamestation, she kept on looking up the site, and just bought when the system let her get all to the checkout.

ik

Thanks Ik, speant last weekend at Liverpool City Centre, St Helens and Trafford Centre to no avail :(

But i think i'll get one shortly, already on the gamestation waiting list and a few others, not paid anything yet so may as well spread myself about. I'll be sure to remove myself when i do finally get a wii tho :)

ikthius
09-10-2007, 12:12
Thanks Ik, speant last weekend at Liverpool City Centre, St Helens and Trafford Centre to no avail :(

But i think i'll get one shortly, already on the gamestation waiting list and a few others, not paid anything yet so may as well spread myself about. I'll be sure to remove myself when i do finally get a wii tho :)

yeah, go on as many lists as you can, game and gamestation, I have found to be the quickest.

good luck, your gonnae (going to :)) love it

ik

Tezcatlipoca
10-10-2007, 02:10
Keep checking these:

http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/

http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/default.asp#wii_consoles

I used them when I was Wii-hunting earlier in the year, when everyone had no stock.

Got one at Amazon very quickly.

superbiatch
10-10-2007, 13:06
I just got one from GAME :D

Seems both they and amazon are having intermittent stock for availability today, get looking now if you want one ;)

Gareth
11-10-2007, 02:00
woot, nice one superbiatch :)

What games did you get / are you intending to get?

Don't forget to post your Friend Code in the Sticky thread and then all our Miis will mingle :)

superbiatch
14-10-2007, 23:04
woot, nice one superbiatch :)

What games did you get / are you intending to get?

Don't forget to post your Friend Code in the Sticky thread and then all our Miis will mingle :)

What a wiikend!! :hyper:

I got sonic for starters but tbh i've spent all wiikend playing the sports game. I'm so unfit i'm in agony from head to toe :D

Ooh, i'll have to get my head around all this wii friends code lark, but i have designed a mini-mii and we look identical ;)

Gareth
15-10-2007, 12:38
According to XBitLabs (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20071010074633.html), developers are producing more titles for the Wii in Q4 than for the 360 and PS3 combined.

Thanks to unique game controller, low price and massive installed base, Nintendo Wii will see more new game titles released in Q4 than Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3 combined. The situation reflects massive sales of Wii across the world and means that game developers have changed their development priorities.

Analyst firm Screen Digest predicts that 86 titles are scheduled for release on the Wii in Q4 2007, compared with 47 for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and just 38 for Sony PlayStation 3. Moreover, about 20 games for Nintendo Wii will be exclusive for the platform, whereas only 8 and 5 will be exclusive for Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3, respectively.

Glad to see that 3rd party developers are considering the Wii, cause that was a big problem with the Gamecube... it was a great console, but all the developers concentrated on the PS2 and Xbox instead, leaving only Nintendo to come up with games.

Saaf_laandon_mo
15-10-2007, 12:50
So far I have resisted the Wii on the basis that I found it a bit too gimicky everytime i have played it at my friends. It appealed more to my 3 year old than me, but having seen some of the games due for release , especially rockstar table tennis, im tempted to get one. I also think that my 3 year old could get some benefit from it, especially in hand eye coordination stuff.

Woolly One
17-10-2007, 11:32
It appears that they're coming into stock now, well at Argos at least! both of our Ipswich stores have got stocks.

So I've got mine reserved:D And will :Sprint: off ltr to pick it up. Honest its for the kids!!!!!:LOL:

handyman
17-10-2007, 12:25

I'd say get one, its a pretty fun way to spend your time and the controller is ace.

superbiatch
17-10-2007, 17:01
It appears that they're coming into stock now, well at Argos at least! both of our Ipswich stores have got stocks.

So I've got mine reserved:D And will :Sprint: off ltr to pick it up. Honest its for the kids!!!!!:LOL:

Did you get it?? :)

Woolly One
18-10-2007, 14:52
Did you get it?? :)

Yep, just now. first chance I had to get down to Argos! Only problem is, seeing it's meant to be for chirstmas, will only get a chance to play with it (sorry make sure it works OK!) whilst kids at school - Guess what - Half term next week:(

One quickie - Argos are giving you a £10 gift card if you spend over £100. Offer ends Tuesday aparently.

BBKing
18-10-2007, 15:12
Was on the phone to the missus at work earlier and she suddenly broke off to say 'oo, oo, the post's here, is it for me, is it for me?'.

It was, too. In case you hadn't guessed she's bought a Wii. She's getting another controller and then we'll have a bash later*. It's like being 10 again.

For people still looking, she got on some mailing list that sent out updates when they came into stock somewhere. I can get the details if you like.

* After the 4 year old's in bed, hopefully.

superbiatch
18-10-2007, 15:36
Was on the phone to the missus at work earlier and she suddenly broke off to say 'oo, oo, the post's here, is it for me, is it for me?'.

It was, too. In case you hadn't guessed she's bought a Wii. She's getting another controller and then we'll have a bash later*. It's like being 10 again.

For people still looking, she got on some mailing list that sent out updates when they came into stock somewhere. I can get the details if you like.

* After the 4 year old's in bed, hopefully.

If you are particularly unfit (like i am), expect to be hurting a tad tomorrow ;)

Saaf_laandon_mo
18-10-2007, 16:14
If you are particularly unfit (like i am), expect to be hurting a tad tomorrow ;)

you dont look too unfit in your pic mind ............ ;)

BBKing
19-10-2007, 00:14
Haven't played any games yet, too busy making Miis and sorting out the internet connection. Did you know the Network Services license agreement is under German law?

The remote thing is wonderfully intuitive. Does anyone else think it's nicking ideas from the Mac all over the shop? Not that that's a bad thing in any way.

Woolly One
19-10-2007, 16:51
Got a chance to unpack and have a quick go on it today:) Beat the wife at bowling:D Unfortunately I've now has to pack it away for Christmas:(

Now We've finally got it, ideas on a good second game please. ideally a platformer. Super paper Mario looks good.

Also, is Tiger woods 08 anygood on the Wii, save me buying it for the PS2.

superbiatch
21-10-2007, 22:24
Now We've finally got it, ideas on a good second game please. ideally a platformer. Super paper Mario looks good.

I was advised to buy super paper mario which i will do shortly by a gamer in GAME, but sonic is a good game also IMO :)

skyblueheroes
21-10-2007, 22:28
Got a chance to unpack and have a quick go on it today:) Beat the wife at bowling:D Unfortunately I've now has to pack it away for Christmas:(

Long way to Xmas dude. Spend all that money and not play it for 3 months ? You only live once, crack it open and get playing.

Woolly One
22-10-2007, 11:58
Long way to Xmas dude. Spend all that money and not play it for 3 months ? You only live once, crack it open and get playing.

Got to persuade my wife, to let the kids have one of 'their'?!? prezzies early:LOL: Anyway it's not that long to christmas. A friend of mine has already been past a house that has its decs up! :)

Damien
22-10-2007, 13:45

Super Mario Galaxy should be out by Christmas...

Gareth
23-10-2007, 01:21

Also, is Tiger woods 08 anygood on the Wii, save me buying it for the PS2.Super Paper Mario is great. My 10-year-old son really likes it. Not sure how old your kids are, but some of the puzzles do take a bit of working out because of the way you flip between 2D and 3D views. It's not a traditional platformer, but it is a great game.

Not played Tiger Woods 08, but all the reviews I've read and people I know at work who have it agree that it's an improvement over the 07 version but it's not quite there yet, and that EA need to work on the controller a bit more to make it as intuitive as Wii Sports Golf but with the extra depth that a Tiger Woods game has.

Super Mario Galaxy will be out in Europe on November 16th.