PDA

View Full Version : Freezing assets

Russ
13-09-2007, 08:40
If a company or individual wanted to freeze someone's assets (due to pending possible bankruptcy action) do they need to go to court to arrange it?

A friend at work is in a bit of a fix and refuses to seek legal advice which is slightly infuriating.

Mr_love_monkey
13-09-2007, 09:08
If a company or individual wanted to freeze someone's assets (due to pending possible bankruptcy action) do they need to go to court to arrange it?

A friend at work is in a bit of a fix and refuses to seek legal advice which is slightly infuriating.

Yeah, they have to go to court, or at least magistrate court to do it

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

There's a site I used ages ago, when researching this info - I'll try and dig it out

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

is it the company he owes money too that's looking to make him bankrupt?

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/news/forms/docs/ex321_0406.pdf

don't know how relevant this is to the situation.

There is a lot of information on this site, it's what I used when I was trying to get money back from someone
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk

LSainsbury
15-09-2007, 09:58

Did you post something the other day regarding a visit from the IR?

This "friend" - a bit closer to home is he?? :D

Russ
15-09-2007, 17:33
No this isn't anything to do with the IR - it appears to be a credit card company.

TheDaddy
15-09-2007, 17:51
Do you know how much he owes there is a chance, that if it is less than 4 or 5 grand the courts might refuse to make him bankrupt

Russ
15-09-2007, 17:58
It seems to change depending on what day it is. Sometimes he says it's about £2500, other times he says it's closer to £3k.

TheDaddy
15-09-2007, 18:04
It seems to change depending on what day it is. Sometimes he says it's about £2500, other times he says it's closer to £3k.

Chances are (according to CAB) the courts won't make him bankrupt then, the company knows this as well and are just making threats, if he puts his monthly offer in writing the ball is in their court and of course they have no chance if they get it to court, providing he sticks to the agreement, he should seek advice from his local CAB

Russ
15-09-2007, 19:10
This is the problem - he won't go to see the CAB or even a solicitor. I friend of my family practises law and has offered to give him free advice but his kind offer has so far fallen on deaf ears. What's most maddening is the fact he moans about not knowing if the next knock on his door will be a bailiff yet refuses to take any action. I'm pretty close to tthe end of my tether.

Fingy
15-09-2007, 19:20
I know something like this going on currently except on a much larger scale and the person involved has their head burried in the sand and is not doing much to help themselves.

If this is the case, if you have tried helping and they are not seeing sense you just have to step back and leave them to it until they get to the point they can ask for your help. :shrug: