PDA

View Full Version : Worried abt giving away sm details. need help plz!

vbnmu
12-09-2007, 14:01
Hello everyone...
I need some advice on something I did earlier today! Kindda stupid if me!! :(
Basically, there was this guy who knocked on my door and asked me whether I am into buying from catalogues! All the time I was talking to him I was trying to assess whether this is some sort of scam or a genuine enquiry.
I eventually agreed to have the catalogue dropped through my door and he asked for my details; name, add. d.o.b.
I was so into my thoughts (whether he was genuine or not), that I just gave him the info.

Its only after that that I started feeling rather stupid n worried. Did i do the wrong thing? Y would anybody asked for D.o.B?

He did look decent if thats any consolation.

Also, am registered with CreditExpert-Experian, but I do know that all searches done do not appear on it. Some go appear on Call Credit or Equifax.

Is there any reason to be concerned? :(

I saw him walkin back and asked him that my details would b safe and they won't mess with it.
He was like if i was upto sth i wouldn't still be standing here would i! kindda obvious answer!!! grrrr
arghhhhh....That was really really really stupid of me!!

punky
12-09-2007, 14:15
Probably wanted to know you were an adult, and needed the actual date for their records.

This happens in the US now, they actually enter the date into the till from the ID, no matter how old the customer is, says or appears.

Mr_love_monkey
12-09-2007, 14:16
They often take a personal detail so that someone can phone up and do spot checks, to make sure someone isn't just signing up people randomly.

Mick Fisher
12-09-2007, 14:18
Hmmm if it's either of the two different catalogue companies, that BTW deal in the most shoddy goods I have ever seen, that plague this area, then the modus operandi is to dump the catalogues through your letterbox first and then call back later, only taking details if you wish to place an order.

If your caller was not genuine it's too late now isn't it. Just keep an extra vigilant eye on your CC and Bank Statements is all you can do as far as I know.

Personally I try to make it a rule never to divulge any information whatsoever in response to unsolicited enquiries. Firstly because they may not be genuine and secondly (damned surveys) because they are being made by someone who is hoping to earn by wasting my (unpaid) time. :mad:

Chris
12-09-2007, 14:20
You're probably ok - but personally I never sign up for anything at the door.

vbnmu
12-09-2007, 14:57
Thank you to all of you!
Am a bit reassured now!
How stupid was I though. Well I will certainly keep an eye out on my CC. Signed up for a free trial with MyCallCredit and Equifax and was surprised to find information that was missing on Experian! Nasty info they were! Calling up to sort them out now!
I would advise everyone to do the same. Take advantage of the free trial to avoid any nasty surprise!

I can breathe a sign of relief
Thank you all soooooooo much :)

LSainsbury
12-09-2007, 20:17
OP - you don't actually say you gave him any bank details - only name / address / DOB...

Damien
12-09-2007, 22:34
I think they can do a credit check without bank details as long as you have given permission?

They would not do it unless you were applying for credit though.

vbnmu
13-09-2007, 13:44
OP - you don't actually say you gave him any bank details - only name / address / DOB...

Indeed, I only gave away my name, add, d.o.b. I only just moved into the property so I doubt they can do much as they would need my previous address.
But it is a cause of concern!!
And I was so dumb!!!

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

To the Mod who moved my thread:

Thanks a lot. Apologies for posting it in the wrong place! :)

Uncle Peter
13-09-2007, 13:54
I don't answer the door to any uninvited caller (the ones who manage to evade the x-ray detectors and snipers ;) ). There are too many confidence tricksters about and people trying to find out times you are in/out with the intention of robbing you later!