PDA

View Full Version : Had an engineer today - UBR Status Black?

Toilet-Duck
11-09-2007, 23:59
Can any engineer tell me what status black means? Ive been having speed problems for the past few months now, all that seems to happen is the engineer replaces the modem. The problem only happens after 6pm after which I cant play online gaming and hardly browse any websites, called tech support again they sent another engineer out.

Finally got an engineer who knew what he was talking about he called his supervisor who did a check on my postcode, he said that my UBR was status black...

He also said usually when it goes status red automatically it raises a fault automatically but for some reason it didn't... I was told that he would raise a fault which would fix it...

Any idea on what status black means and how long till it gets fixed? I still don't see any improvement or any fault raised on the website.

Regards
Toilet-Duck

AbyssUnderground
12-09-2007, 10:12
From what I can remember reading on this forum in another topic they have several status's.

I believe they were

White
Black
Red

White is normal
Black is over subscribed
Red is fault or VERY over subscribed

at least it was something like that, so don't hold me to it.

punky
12-09-2007, 10:31
According to this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33613737-ubr-has-gone-black.html) it goes Amber, Red, Black.

Toilet-Duck
13-09-2007, 02:50
Well I have conflicting stories here, the engineer who came at my property said that the UBR was completely overloaded and its status was black he said he would raise a fault and it would be fixed by the following morning ...

Today I ring up Technical support (For 1hr 30mins I might add) they made me do loads of tests and put me on hold for about 30 mins while they tried different things..

They checked my UBR and told me its status was normal however was abit overloaded but shouldn't be causing an issue...

They have now removed the cable modem from the system and re added it my account Im not sure how this is going to improve my speed...

Every time I have a ****ing engineer out all he says is "Well I cant really do anything except check the signal or change the modem"

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I'm getting fed up with virgin media my speed drops from 18meg during the day as soon as hits around 6pm my Internet slows to around 24 - 84kb/s!!! I can hardly load any web pages until around 2am.

The engineer has tried different modems, different Laptop (He tested the connection) and a full repull...

Can they do anything else? Maybe put me on a different UBR is that even possible?

Nedkelly
13-09-2007, 07:46
Black is the worst a ubr can be .If anyone tells you we can change the ubr just like that it can not be done .It would involve moving everyone else on your node .When they are in the black its a waiting game for them to look at the ubrs in your aera and resegment them or add new ones to relieve them .Or in some areas turn to dual docsis wher one half of a node uses a different freq for the bb this can help speed issues :)

xspeedyx
13-09-2007, 15:32
how many ubr's have issue tho coz thats always seeming to be an issue but the cost is amazinly high to upgrade

weesteev
14-09-2007, 10:52
Can you tell me what UBR you are connected to and I will check this up for you?

Cheers

Toilet-Duck
14-09-2007, 15:40
Can you tell me what UBR you are connected to and I will check this up for you?

Cheers

cpc2-wear1-0-0

Cheers mate :)

weesteev
14-09-2007, 16:06
cpc2-wear1-0-0

Cheers mate :)

Ok UBR 2 Wearside, ex NTL (Bromley region).

Unfortunatley you havent been lied to, there are 4 cards connected to the UBR (3,4,5 and 6) and all are experiencing saturated downloads at the moment, Surpisingly upstream is fine, sitting around 30% average, but the downstream (especially on card 4) has been pretty high recently.

The next stage? Tech support need to have a ticket raised against your account, might be worthwhile giving customer care a quick call (because its free) to check if a "slow speed" ticket (work order) is open against your account.

Unfortunately there is never a resoloution time for saturated UBR's, in the ex TW regions we try to increase capacity or switch users around on different channels but im not sure how it works in the Bromley region (its a EuroDCOSIS region as well, a different protocol than Knowlsely and Langley).

Hope this helps, just a case of bide your time until the network is finally upgraded in this area. If you ever need an update then just PM me and I will do my best to chase this up for you! Sorry I couldnt give you a better answer :-(

Cheers!

Toilet-Duck
14-09-2007, 17:07
Ok UBR 2 Wearside, ex NTL (Bromley region).

Unfortunatley you havent been lied to, there are 4 cards connected to the UBR (3,4,5 and 6) and all are experiencing saturated downloads at the moment, Surpisingly upstream is fine, sitting around 30% average, but the downstream (especially on card 4) has been pretty high recently.

The next stage? Tech support need to have a ticket raised against your account, might be worthwhile giving customer care a quick call (because its free) to check if a "slow speed" ticket (work order) is open against your account.

Unfortunately there is never a resoloution time for saturated UBR's, in the ex TW regions we try to increase capacity or switch users around on different channels but im not sure how it works in the Bromley region (its a EuroDCOSIS region as well, a different protocol than Knowlsely and Langley).

Hope this helps, just a case of bide your time until the network is finally upgraded in this area. If you ever need an update then just PM me and I will do my best to chase this up for you! Sorry I couldnt give you a better answer :-(

Cheers!

Thanks for the update, I called customer care and they told me that no Work order or open ticket is on my account? To contact technical support if my speeds are slow :rolleyes:

Is it not possible for them or you to open a ticket on the account? Technical support (Not being to be racist here, but they are always Indians who I speak to who have no idea what they are talking about)..

Technical support have another engineer booked for Monday to visit my property but is this pointless? The engineer just tells me the only thing they can do is swap the modem around and check the signal levels.. :td:

weesteev
14-09-2007, 17:14
After looking at the UBR i would say its pretty pointless as well. Give tech support a call if you get a chance and they can arrange the ticket to be flagged for you. The cost of the call should be refunded as well as there is known speed issues in this region. It wont make a huge difference to the outcome but it at least gives the company ongoing notification that (another) customer in this area is being affected by the speeds, records are run to get this figures pretty consistently.

I wouldnt stress about there not being a ticket but under the circumstances i would definately call about a refund for the service or to work out a new bundle for you as a gesture of goodwill. If you are confident enough to let me book a ticket for you then PM me your postcode and house number (or account number) and I will get Tech support to raise this for you, which you can confirm with customer care.

Let me know if you need more help!

Cheers

Toilet-Duck
14-09-2007, 17:24
After looking at the UBR i would say its pretty pointless as well. Give tech support a call if you get a chance and they can arrange the ticket to be flagged for you. The cost of the call should be refunded as well as there is known speed issues in this region. It wont make a huge difference to the outcome but it at least gives the company ongoing notification that (another) customer in this area is being affected by the speeds, records are run to get this figures pretty consistently.

I wouldnt stress about there not being a ticket but under the circumstances i would definately call about a refund for the service or to work out a new bundle for you as a gesture of goodwill. If you are confident enough to let me book a ticket for you then PM me your postcode and house number (or account number) and I will get Tech support to raise this for you, which you can confirm with customer care.

Let me know if you need more help!

Cheers

Thanks mate Ive PM'd you ;)

fatassmichael
15-09-2007, 12:58
Toilet-Duck, no offence to weesteev and their kind offer to help, but you should check with a mod, as to who has been confirmed a VM employee before passing personal info in PM's.

punky
15-09-2007, 13:02
I can confirm that weesteev is a VM employee :)

Chrysalis
15-09-2007, 16:34
good stuff from weesteev.

Black as a status is usually worst then red. When colour coding is used.