PDA

View Full Version : Should i Complain about my manager?

Central
12-09-2007, 00:02
My manager is being a right pain. He is doing the Rota at 6pm on a Sunday. The problem is the Rota started on Monday so he gave 6 hours notice until that rota comes into affect.

I was planning to go out with my father today and since he asked me on Saturday and the manager was off I did not know what I was working I said yes. When the rota was done I looked at it and saw I was working today as the manager had already gone home I left him a note for Saying I was out on Tuesday. I was made to work it and cancel my arrangements.

This is not the first time he has done the Rota at the last minute to. It gives us the staff no time to make plans for the following week.

Also we had a memo sent by head office saying we could now rent pre owned games from our game section. He has over ruled this and said we cannot.

His attitude sucks to he will constantly ignore staff if they say hello or anything else to.

I want to complain but I am worried he will make my life hell if i do.

Any advice?

MovedGoalPosts
12-09-2007, 00:04
It sounds like you are part of a larger company. Do they have a HR department you could informally seek advice from?

Central
12-09-2007, 00:09
Well its blockbusters so I presume they have

superbiatch
12-09-2007, 00:17
Your immediate manager sounds like an idiot, i'd dig higher than him and get it straight from HR. 6 hours notice for a rota is not on IMO :erm: (and i'm a manager).

Central
12-09-2007, 00:20
My concern is though I have been at the company for 10 months and he would not a reason to sack me.

He could sack me as a sneaky way because I complained.

Colli
12-09-2007, 00:24
He sounds like an unpleasant character. If you want to complain to a higher authority, remember that there is strength in numbers: get other staff members who share your feelings to take action, ideally so that you can make a collective complaint.

That way, it would be harder for him to single out any one individual (as long as nobody sets themselves up as the "ringleader"). It would also obviously lend more weight to the complaint.

Mrcon
12-09-2007, 00:35
He sounds like an unpleasant character. If you want to complain to a higher authority, remember that there is strength in numbers: get other staff members who share your feelings to take action, ideally so that you can make a collective complaint.

That way, it would be harder for him to single out any one individual (as long as nobody sets themselves up as the "ringleader"). It would also obviously lend more weight to the complaint.

This guys got the right Idea, If all the staff feel the same way as you tell someone higher, I presume there is an area manager or store owner that you can complain to.

Defo complain mate, tell us how it goes aswell!

superbiatch
12-09-2007, 00:39
This guys got the right Idea, If all the staff feel the same way as you tell someone higher, I presume there is an area manager or store owner that you can complain to.

Defo complain mate, tell us how it goes aswell!

I agree to a certain extent, but someone who has a victimisation case IMO seems to have further backing in my experience (the NHS) - very well protected. I suppose this thread will give you some ideas anyway and you will do whats best.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :)

Nidge
12-09-2007, 06:04
My manager is being a right pain. He is doing the Rota at 6pm on a Sunday. The problem is the Rota started on Monday so he gave 6 hours notice until that rota comes into affect.

I was planning to go out with my father today and since he asked me on Saturday and the manager was off I did not know what I was working I said yes. When the rota was done I looked at it and saw I was working today as the manager had already gone home I left him a note for Saying I was out on Tuesday. I was made to work it and cancel my arrangements.

This is not the first time he has done the Rota at the last minute to. It gives us the staff no time to make plans for the following week.

Also we had a memo sent by head office saying we could now rent pre owned games from our game section. He has over ruled this and said we cannot.

His attitude sucks to he will constantly ignore staff if they say hello or anything else to.

Any advice?

Sounds like he needs a personality implant, Ignorance really gets my back up, there is no need to be ignorant ever ever ever. How the hell he's got a position in a managerial role with his attitude is beyond me. Like what's been mentioned above ^^^^^^ go above his head you are entitled to anonymity.

Acathla
12-09-2007, 10:42
You could always put a complaint in writing anonymously to a higher manager as a first step. Yes you might not get feedback from it but you may see things change and not have to stand up and put yourself in the firing line.

Stuart
12-09-2007, 11:06

Any advice?

Having worked for BB myself, I would advise you to talk to either the store manager (if this guy isn't) or the area manager. Also, I am fairly certain that they had a complaints line for staff where you didn't have to give a name. This should be displayed somewhere in the staff area of the shop. However I finished working for them nearly 12 years ago now, and my memory is a little hazy, so even if such a line was in existance then, it may not be now.

DocDutch
12-09-2007, 11:33
Be, get all the staff together that you know off that arent happy with the manager and see what you can come up with, I would say the lot of you complain to the HR department.

there can be a risk involved in doing it this way but if its a whole group of staff there shouldnt be any problems, as it would be easier to replace a manager then say 10 staff.

cookie_365
12-09-2007, 19:39
Have you actually spoken to manager about this? Maybe because of his own particular circumstances he doesn't see how lack of notice would be a problem for you.

Don't get confrontational about it with him - ask him questions that force him to think about how his actions affect others - how do you think my dad felt when I had to cancel? - that kind of thing.

Graham F
13-09-2007, 14:12
Don't be scared off complaining it sounds like your manager is on a bit of an ego trip - go to your area manager and let him/her know whats happening :)

Central
14-09-2007, 12:53
Clincher now is he was in last night and never did rota and he is off all weekend now to

tweetypie/8
14-09-2007, 13:08
You could always put a complaint in writing anonymously to a higher manager as a first step. Yes you might not get feedback from it but you may see things change and not have to stand up and put yourself in the firing line.

cant agree with you on that one acathla,if you cant stand on your own two feet to sort this out man to man he may as well pack it in

Central
21-09-2007, 18:32
Update:

I contacted a group called Ethicspoint who deal in complaints to do with Blockbusters staff from other staff. I did not have to give a name.

Here is what was said

The reporter is concerned that Store Manager ***** ***** continues to give employees little notice with regard to their roster schedule. The reporter claims ******has given employees as little as 12 hours notice to what hours and days they would be working during the following week. Employees often have to cancel plans they have made because of the late notice of the roster. ***** tells employees that they need to give him one week notice for a day off, but this is difficult when they do not know what days they are working. The reporter notes that ***** give himself every weekend off.

The reporter believes ******** does not care about the employees. He ignores their concerns with abusive customers. The reporter notes that there have been recent problems with kids coming into the store and stealing. ***** does not address the problems.

cookie_365
21-09-2007, 20:30
It's good that they have that kind of reporting system. Assuming they use it to address the issues, of course ;)

So, what now? Does his own manager now investigate, will there be a 360 review, that kind of thing?