PDA

View Full Version : Good book on the middle-east?

Damien
11-09-2007, 18:45
I wondered if anyone had a good book to recommend about the History of middle-easten terrorism? Ideally it will contain a overview from the start to now since I am not studying it and do not want to be reading 5/6 books. Just a idea of what led to what and so on.....

Also, I ideally want one that is as un-politically motived as possible. So no anti-american or pro-bush type books. Since they tend to spin the facts to make america or bush look bad or good.

Hugh
11-09-2007, 19:43
"From Beirut to Jerusalem: One Man's Middle Eastern Odyssey" by Thomas Friedman is fairly impartial, and was updated after Gulf War 1.

Anything by Robert Fisk, but I would recommend "The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East" (a bit anti-US/Israel, but doesn't let that blind him to the facts, imho). It's a bit of a heavy read, though, at nearly 1400 pages.

ikthius
11-09-2007, 20:10
koran

ik

Hugh
11-09-2007, 21:23
koran

ik

Don't think it's been revised/updated lately.... :)

Damien
11-09-2007, 23:04
"From Beirut to Jerusalem: One Man's Middle Eastern Odyssey" by Thomas Friedman is fairly impartial, and was updated after Gulf War 1.

Anything by Robert Fisk, but I would recommend "The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East" (a bit anti-US/Israel, but doesn't let that blind him to the facts, imho). It's a bit of a heavy read, though, at nearly 1400 pages.

Fisk is quite anti-Israel isn't he? I will look into it, That Friedman book also looks good but considering the time since it's updated to would have missed the whole recent events

Thanks!

cookie_365
12-09-2007, 18:53
Taliban by Ahmed Rashid is pretty good. It's a few years old but really sharp about explaining all the shifts and and why allies become enemies become allies become enemies.

It's also helps you understand the links between the geography and the politics.

And it's easy to read, not a textbook.

Damien
12-09-2007, 19:08
Isn't that more about the Taliban, while I know they are sort of connected I was more intrested in the terrorism side of things. How did it start, key figures, path to 9/11, aftermath (obviously a lot wont be known)

Mr Angry
12-09-2007, 19:21
What foreverwar said.

Damien
12-09-2007, 22:35
That book, does it mostly focus on Israel and such? I think I will order it anyway, it does seem very good!