PDA

View Full Version : Can I host Webserver?

josephlindley
10-09-2007, 20:06
I've just been connected to virgin (2mb cable) in Manchester and I'm on what was NTL.

I see no reason that it shouldn't work - but the webserver that I'm running on my internet conencted PC is not accessible from the outside world. I have no firewall running at the moment so it is definately not that.

Can anyone tell me if this is a VM related filtering excercise or something similar?

Does anyone have incoming connections at all working? The only packets that seem to get through are pings at the moment!

Also I'd like to get a wireless router. Any suggestions for definately-working routers?

Cheers,
Joe

AbyssUnderground
10-09-2007, 20:38
Web servers are allowed and are not blocked.

1. Make sure your firewall including the windows firewall is off.
2. If you have a router, forward port 80 in it to your pc's local IP (which you may want to set to static to prevent the port forward from becoming invalid).
3. Check with www.proxify.com or a friend to see if it works. If it works for them but not you, don't worry, its simply that your router doesn't support loopback (which prevents you from viewing your server from your own internet IP).

If you need anymore help, ask me. I set up web servers on broadband connections all the time :)

Raistlin
10-09-2007, 21:08
I have no firewall running at the moment so it is definately not that.

1. Make sure your firewall including the windows firewall is off.

Ummm.....

WHAT?

So.....we have one poster saying they aren't running any firewalls, and another poster that advocates switching them all off.....

Put the computers back in the box boys.....

Toto
10-09-2007, 21:08
If you're going to run a webserver, bone up on security, and make sure that the server software you are using is bang up to date.

Trojans are targetting web servers for vulnerabilities, for phishing site hosting and malware hosting.Virgin will take action if your server is compromised, as YOU will be responsible to make sure its secure.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

AbyssUnderground
10-09-2007, 21:31
Woah woah, give me chance. This just rules out the fact that the firewall ISNT causing the problem. Once its working, we turn them back on. Often in this job of helping people get their home servers online, 95% of the time it is the firewall that is causing the problem. That is why I said turn it off, however I should have made it clear to only do that temporally.

Most people have two firewalls anyway, the windows firewall which they're totally unaware of and some other firewall like norton, AVG etc. The windows firewall is nearly always the culprit.

janipewter
10-09-2007, 21:58
Run Linux on your web server. Problem solved.

Raistlin
10-09-2007, 22:12
1. You have no idea what OS the OP is currently using, they may well be running Linux already.

2. Even if they are using Windows, installing Linux will not definitely solve this problem.

The problem they're having sounds like it is being caused by a firewall, or something else, blocking the route to the server from the Internet. Previous posts around 'turning firewalls off' were on the right lines, but the OP actually needs to be looking at what firewalls he has and how they are configured.

AbyssUnderground
10-09-2007, 22:14
Run Linux on your web server. Problem solved.

Linux is worse than windows to secure and its a lot more difficult to configure for the average Joe.

Raistlin
10-09-2007, 22:23
Linux is worse than windows to secure

Disagreed.....

and its a lot more difficult to configure for the average Joe.

Agreed.....

Don't want to turn it into another one of those threads though, so I'll leave it at that ;)

Nice looking site by the way, haven't had a chance to have a good look 'round but I will do - looks like there's a load of good stuff there :tu:

AbyssUnderground
10-09-2007, 22:42
Disagreed.....

Well from all the experiences I've heard about it is. I'd never use a Linux server given the choice.

If you were referring to my site, then thanks :)

josephlindley
10-09-2007, 23:02
Woah woah, give me chance. This just rules out the fact that the firewall ISNT causing the problem. Once its working, we turn them back on.

Yeah - well thats why I said it was off. Just to reassure any helpers that that wasn't my problem.

It is actually working, but for some (odd) reason I still can't access it from my other PC.

You see my other machine is connected to my neighbour's wireless router, and is using an independant (but still virgin) internet connection. From that machine (even though the rest of the web works fine) I can't access my server.

Through variou web proxy's however there is no problem.

Anyway thanks for the heads up on everything, and yes its secure and my firewall will be on for the majority of the time.... :o)

Abysss.... how do you deal with forwarding a DNS server to your broadband, and do you have problems with your IP changing periodically?

Cheers,
Joe

Toto
10-09-2007, 23:22
You see my other machine is connected to my neighbour's wireless router, and is using an independant (but still virgin) internet connection. From that machine (even though the rest of the web works fine) I can't access my server.

Try typing in your IP address in the address bar of the browser, that may work.

AbyssUnderground
10-09-2007, 23:34
Abysss.... how do you deal with forwarding a DNS server to your broadband, and do you have problems with your IP changing periodically?

My IP rarely changes, but I use no-ip dynamic services (its free) to update my IP to the free domain name incase it does change. You can map the no-ip domain name to a .co.uk/.com etc with a CNAME entry.