PDA

View Full Version : Human Resources

Anonymouse
09-09-2007, 19:28
I hope I haven't already ranted about this. Anyway:

Hands up anyone who hates that vile Americanism?

Let's get something straight here: PEOPLE ARE NOT A "RESOURCE"!!!

To refer to staff as a 'resource' is to denigrate them to the level of photocopiers. A resource is a tool used to accomplish a task: thus a PC running Word or similar is a resource used to write letters, memos etc. A desk is used to hold various other resources you need to do your job. If your job involves travelling, a car is a resource you need to get there.

But all these things are things. People are people. Staff are treated badly enough these days in the UK - referring to them, even by implication, as mere objects further devalues and dehumanises them. Every time I hear that phrase I want to hit the person who utters it. I am not a mere object, I am a person - and I will not deal with anyone who thinks otherwise. That particular epithet should be consigned to the linguistic bin of history where it belongs.

greencreeper
09-09-2007, 23:25
Yeah. I see your point but the problem is how the word "resource" is used when referring to people. I think it's often used quite clinically, as you say, by managers keen to dehumanise people. I tend to describe myself as a resource, with knowledge and skills appropriate to certain tasks. This then allows me to defend myself when discussing why I dislike dealing with certain types of telephone call/problem at work. I.e. inappropriate and wasteful use of me as a resource.

MrChef
09-09-2007, 23:37
At last someone who thinks the same as me about the term "Human Resources",when I first heard it I thought WHAT!!!!

TheNorm
10-09-2007, 10:11
...To refer to staff as a 'resource' is to denigrate them to the level of photocopiers...

Actually, wherever I've worked the photocopier has been well looked after - air conditioning, plenty of space, lots of attention from female members of staff, full servicing every few months...

If that's how they treat a "resource", bring it on!

brundles
10-09-2007, 10:34
Actually, wherever I've worked the photocopier has been well looked after - air conditioning, plenty of space, lots of attention from female members of staff, full servicing every few months...

If that's how they treat a "resource", bring it on!
The scary thing is you're right - there are companies that treat their photocopiers and PCs better than their staff :eek:

Russ
10-09-2007, 10:57
Personally I think it should be illegal to use americanisms - I don't care what they call it, we're British and it's a MOBILE phone!!

Cobbydaler
10-09-2007, 11:19
Personally I think it should be illegal to use americanisms - I don't care what they call it, we're British and it's a MOBILE phone!!

Yes, a cell phone is what they queue up to use in Pentonville... :erm:

Nugget
10-09-2007, 11:22
Yes, a cell phone is what they queue up to use in Pentonville... :erm:

Does it still count as a mobile phone if it's just dumped in a handbag and not switched on?

Graham M
10-09-2007, 12:42
No, then it's a "Mobile Turned-Off (grrr) phone" lol

SMHarman
10-09-2007, 16:13
But what did BT call the first mobile phone network that was set up in the UK? BT Cellnet
The phone system uses Cells it is a perfectly reasonable way to describe the handset that operates on it.

Anyway corporate America has moved on. No more Human Resources, try Learning and Talent Management. I'm part of the Talent you know.

Russ
10-09-2007, 18:42
But what did BT call the first mobile phone network that was set up in the UK? BT Cellnet
The phone system uses Cells it is a perfectly reasonable way to describe the handset that operates on it.

Read my post again!

I wasn't saying they are wrong to call it a cell phone!

bonzoe
10-09-2007, 19:05
In answer to OP, I hate the term, agree with you totally.

Whatever was wrong with Personnel, at least that sounds human!

Hom3r
10-09-2007, 20:18
Learning and Talent Management

ROTF PMSL what other BS are they going to come out with?

Cobbydaler
10-09-2007, 23:01
Interesting stuff here (http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/euphemsm.html) about American euphemisms & dysphemisms...

When AT&T [recently] fired 40,000 workers, they were really just carrying out a "force management program" aimed at reducing an "imbalance of forces and skills." Employees who were not invited back were "unassigned"; instead of receiving a dismissal notice they were presented an "involuntary offer" to work elsewhere. AT&T Human Resources VP James Meadows warned that "People need to look upon themselves as vendors who come to this company to sell their skills." Jobs, he said, are being replaced by "projects" and workers need to see themselves as "contingent."

Russ
10-09-2007, 23:06
http://uk.geocities.com/russ.david@btinternet.com/the_office.gif