PDA

View Full Version : whats your preference and why

tweetypie/8
09-09-2007, 12:02
after debating the pros and cons of manual gearboxes and automatic gearboxes with friends we couldnt come to a conclusion which was the better:shrug: what is your thoughts on this subject and why ;)

Saaf_laandon_mo
09-09-2007, 12:10
I think it all depends on what car you have and where you do most of your driving. I prefer manual for sporty numbers, or when I am driving up in scotland, but for daily driving in London, once you've driven an auto, its very hard to give it up.

Jon T
09-09-2007, 12:15
I have a co-ordination problem which means driving a manual would be impossilbe, I can handle gears, but not fine clutch control.

I think automatics would bemore common if there wasn't so many myths about them. Yes cars that used them did have a lower mile per gallon figure, but that's almost(not totally) been removed. Automatic still have a small power loss, for example I learnt to drive(never passed), in a 1.4 Corsa automatic, my instructor told me that if it was a manual of would ony be a 1.2, but it needed to 1.4 because of the automatic transmission.

One of the other problems with automatic transmissions is maintainence and repair, I know quite a few people who instead of having an auto box repared or replaced, they have just had the car converted to manual because of the cost.

There also the quote you hear time and time again, "I like to be in control", or "I like to Drive, not have the car do it for me".

Hugh
09-09-2007, 12:23
If you go for Audi Multitronic (and I am sure other manufacturers do the same sort of technology), you get the best of both worlds - standard auto round town, but if you want to, you flip up and down gears as well.

homealone
09-09-2007, 15:09
automatics are definitely easier to drive round town, but for the open road, especially roads with lots of bends, I prefer manual, if only for the ability to change down approaching a corner & use engine braking to aid entry to the corner & then throttle control in the lower gear to balance the steering.

AntiSilence
09-09-2007, 15:23
after debating the pros and cons of manual gearboxes and automatic gearboxes with friends we couldnt come to a conclusion which was the better:shrug: what is your thoughts on this subject and why ;)

Mine's manual, but it is a mountain bike! ;) lol. Don't own a car... Can't even drive.

Jon T
09-09-2007, 15:23
automatics are definitely easier to drive round town, but for the open road, especially roads with lots of bends, I prefer manual, if only for the ability to change down approaching a corner & use engine braking to aid entry to the corner & then throttle control in the lower gear to balance the steering.

The thing is, I was taught to drive in an automatic, and was also taught that engine breaking can be done in them as well.

Not a dig at you, so please don't take it as such;), but too many people get into an auto, put it in Drive and assume that's it.

Most modern auto's have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear selection, so you can basically drive them like a clutchless manual.

Edit: Also if you don't manually lock them in gear on steep downward slopes, you're forever breaking.

jellybaby
09-09-2007, 15:26
Automatic for me :) I've had many cars, both automatic and manual, but on balance, prefer automatic.

mrmistoffelees
09-09-2007, 15:33
Another vote for semi automatic here. Love Alfa's selespeed gearbox

homealone
09-09-2007, 16:15
The thing is, I was taught to drive in an automatic, and was also taught that engine breaking can be done in them as well.

Not a dig at you, so please don't take it as such;), but too many people get into an auto, put it in Drive and assume that's it.

Most modern auto's have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear selection, so you can basically drive them like a clutchless manual.

Edit: Also if you don't manually lock them in gear on steep downward slopes, you're forever breaking.

Not at all, your experience is greater than mine in this respect & you are 100% correct regarding 'put it in drive', as that is all I've ever done. :)

The only bit that confuses me is the going down hill, as I've always thought the car (while in drive) would just 'run away' & keep trying to change up, as the revs increase??

Sirius
09-09-2007, 16:19
Auto for me all the way :)

Jon T
09-09-2007, 16:25
Not at all, your experience is greater than mine in this respect & you are 100% correct regarding 'put it in drive', as that is all I've ever done. :)

The only bit that confuses me is the going down hill, as I've always thought the car (while in drive) would just 'run away' & keep trying to change up, as the revs increase??

Sorry I probably didn't put it very well!

Yes, if you're on a hill with the selector in D then the car will "run way", that's what I meant when I said that you'd be doing a lot of breaking. If you put in 2nd or 3rd gear then the car behaves more like a manual, and you have less to do with the break pedal.

It's worth noting that except on private land, I haven't driven a car for nearly 8 years, mainly due to money, but also due the fact the that if you've got any form of rare disibility the DVLA can be total arses.

Jules
09-09-2007, 16:42
Automatic every time I love my auto Astra. I have a spinal problem which often effects my left leg so it saves me a lot of pain and trouble by not having to use a clutch pedal.

homealone
09-09-2007, 16:50
Sorry I probably didn't put it very well!

Yes, if you're on a hill with the selector in D then the car will "run way", that's what I meant when I said that you'd be doing a lot of breaking. If you put in 2nd or 3rd gear then the car behaves more like a manual, and you have less to do with the break pedal.

It's worth noting that except on private land, I haven't driven a car for nearly 8 years, mainly due to money, but also due the fact the that if you've got any form of rare disibility the DVLA can be total arses.

Thanks for clarifying that & sorry to hear of your problems with the DVLA ...

Ramrod
09-09-2007, 17:13
I prefer an automatic for ease of use and manual for control. So on balance, automatic...:)

Halcyon
09-09-2007, 22:57
I prefer a manual.
If automatic's go wrong, they cost a lot more to fix apparently.

CycoSymz
09-09-2007, 23:09
I prefer automatics cos I'm lazy :D

Tezcatlipoca
10-09-2007, 00:06
Can't drive. Never had any lessons.

But, from my one brief experience in trying to drive my ex's car five years ago, I think I'd be better off with an automatic if I ever got round to driving.

Really didn't handle the whole clutch control thing :erm:

joglynne
10-09-2007, 00:08
My first car after I had passed my test in a manual car was a MGBT auto. I really loved driving that car it had a 'kickdown' and it used to go like the clappers. Only being too pregnant to get behind the steering wheel stopped me using it, and after our son was born it was no longer practical.

I have never had an automatic since but I wouldn't mind having a go in a modern one to see what progress has been made.

tweetypie/8
10-09-2007, 11:09
I have a co-ordination problem which means driving a manual would be impossilbe, I can handle gears, but not fine clutch control.

I think automatics would bemore common if there wasn't so many myths about them. Yes cars that used them did have a lower mile per gallon figure, but that's almost(not totally) been removed. Automatic still have a small power loss, for example I learnt to drive(never passed), in a 1.4 Corsa automatic, my instructor told me that if it was a manual of would ony be a 1.2, but it needed to 1.4 because of the automatic transmission.

One of the other problems with automatic transmissions is maintainence and repair, I know quite a few people who instead of having an auto box repared or replaced, they have just had the car converted to manual because of the cost.

There also the quote you hear time and time again, "I like to be in control", or "I like to Drive, not have the car do it for me".

thanks to all of you for all the feedback its given me a lot of food for thought, i think i will be leaning towards an automatic for my next change :D