PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding Hell

LittleWeed
09-09-2007, 11:50
I have Virgin Media broadband 2mb but downloads from uTorrent seem to be taking ages and ages. I am running Vista Ultimate and I have been advised to do some port forwarding and have spent days reading stuff from portforward.com but feel swamped and non-the-wiser on where to start. Can anyone tell me, step-by-step [without quoting acronyms which mean nothing to me] what to do? Also, my ntl modem says it is ntl : 200 - is this the make? It isn't listed on portforward website. I feel really stupid :dunce: so please be gentle with me!!

Nikesh
09-09-2007, 12:00
Are you using a router?

LittleWeed
09-09-2007, 12:08
No just a modem.

Cobbydaler
09-09-2007, 12:18
I have Virgin Media broadband 2mb but downloads from uTorrent seem to be taking ages and ages. I am running Vista Ultimate and I have been advised to do some port forwarding and have spent days reading stuff from portforward.com but feel swamped and non-the-wiser on where to start. Can anyone tell me, step-by-step [without quoting acronyms which mean nothing to me] what to do? Also, my ntl modem says it is ntl : 200 - is this the make? It isn't listed on portforward website. I feel really stupid :dunce: so please be gentle with me!!

Have a look at this (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=242762) thread in the utorrent forums & see if it helps.

It's worth reading it all the way through...

AbyssUnderground
09-09-2007, 13:01
You don't need to port forward a modem. You do however need the ports open on your firewall if utorrent is to work properly.

LittleWeed
09-09-2007, 13:23
Hmmm I tried most of that but couldn't do the router bit [obviously]. Then everything came to a standstill and I couldn't get anything - not even Google :bigcry:. Think I will just give up and resign myself to a life of 7 kB/s down speed!!

Cool pic of Lou btw - I met him in 04

Cobbydaler
09-09-2007, 13:37

:nworthy::D

LittleWeed
09-09-2007, 13:38
Ah ha! That will by why then!!

Thanks all for your help - think it best I stick to gardening.

AbyssUnderground
09-09-2007, 13:47
Hmmm I tried most of that but couldn't do the router bit [obviously]. Then everything came to a standstill and I couldn't get anything - not even Google :bigcry:. Think I will just give up and resign myself to a life of 7 kB/s down speed!!

Whats your up speed set to? If you put unlimited then of course you're going to have poor downspeeds. Max 2/3 of your total capable upload. If you max out the upload then "akt" packets can't get through telling the program that "yes i got this file successfully, send the next one". Same with browsing coming to a standstill.

2Mbps set to 15KB/s
4Mbps set to 30KB/s
10-20Mbps set to 50KB/s

Also how many seeds/peers does this torrent have? If it has no/few seeds/peers then thats why the speed is slow as well.

LittleWeed
09-09-2007, 14:15
I had the up set to 60 kB/s
Down set to unlimited.
Seeds 17(20)
Peers 9 (25)

Hugh
09-09-2007, 14:25
Drop your upload speed to 10KB whilst you are downloading, and see if that makes a difference.

LittleWeed
09-09-2007, 14:39
Crikey - its gone up to 130 kB/s

Cheers everso :)

AbyssUnderground
09-09-2007, 14:50
Crikey - its gone up to 130 kB/s

Cheers everso :)

Like I said, 2/3 of your maximum capable upload speed maximum. Even lower can sometimes help but remember torrents are sharing. The more you upload the more you can download in return but don't over do it on the upload because you'll never get to download.

Mick Fisher
09-09-2007, 16:43
Crank up your upload from about 60% by small increments until you notice that your download is starting to suffer. You will soon find the best speed for you and your connection. :)