PDA

View Full Version : add v box to ntl network???

tombstone
07-09-2007, 22:03
Hello!!! HELP!!!! I live in shared accomodation, the living room has NTL cable using a Samsung SMT-2100C box, I can have a Samsung SMT-2100C (older style box, buttons in centre of front panel) complete with remote and old viewing card on offer for nothing... would it be possible just to extend the cable and plug&play? or is there more to it? the box I have on offer has been tried at a mates house (who has NTL also) and the display on the box reads LD:20 then to LD:40 after a while, then comes up with Virgin Media on the tv, "Powering Up, please wait" and the box displays 2110.... can anyone shed any light!!!! any help be gratefully recieved!!!

nicke261192
07-09-2007, 22:11
I think that the box you are using is illegal and that it is property of virgin media. You have to pay for an extra box otherwise its theft of services

tombstone
07-09-2007, 22:17
hmmm it was left behind when my boss moved into his new house and had virgin set new equipment up!!! hence the reason its on offer free!!

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

oh, and the box I have on offer has a NTL card too...!!!

virginmedia
07-09-2007, 22:22
You should call VM and get that box and card picked up.

John

Chris
07-09-2007, 22:23
hmmm it was left behind when my boss moved into his new house and had virgin set new equipment up!!! hence the reason its on offer free!!

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

oh, and the box I have on offer has a NTL card too...!!!

NTL / Virgin Media digiboxes are rented out to customers. They are *never* sold. The box being offered to you does not belong to the person who is offering it to you. If you take it you will be receiving stolen goods. If you manage to get it to decrypt cable channels for you (which is unlikely), then you would be committing theft.

We do not permit discussion of illegal activity on this forum. Please DO NOT pursue this any further.

tombstone
07-09-2007, 22:29
well thank you all for being so unhelpful! According to another well placed source (solicitor) if the equipment has not been collected or requested for 6 months then it can be considered as "waste" the provider has no further interest in it.... the house was empty for 9 months... looks like I will seek assistance elsewhere!

Hugh
07-09-2007, 22:42
The box may have been left behind, but the services have to be paid for......

Sirius
07-09-2007, 22:48
looks like I will seek assistance elsewhere!

Take your thieving somewhere else

Chris
07-09-2007, 22:54
It's amazing how many people have a 'friend' who's a solicitor in cases like this. :rolleyes:

Regardless of the status of the box, obtaining cable TV service without paying a subscription is theft. Perhaps you could ask your 'friend' what the sentence for that is.

Thread closed.

Chris W
07-09-2007, 22:57
Theft Act 1978 - Section 11 - Upto 5 Years imprisonment ;)