PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media's Speeds Improve

grabbi
07-09-2007, 15:08
According to an article HERE (http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/july-speeds-are-in-29082007.html), Virgin Media's customers have recieved a seen an improvement in their service.

This means that Speed's in the UK are better than BT's.

However, there is some good news for Virgin Media customers as the cable provider, now with 3.5 million customers, held onto third place and actually increased its score, with customers receiving on average 41.1 per cent of their promised speed, compared to 39.9 per cent in the previous month.

There is also a link at the bottom to improve your Speeds manually.

All in all, good news for the company, even while the dark clouds hover over-head, a silver lining, even though it is very thin, can be seen.

flatley
07-09-2007, 16:12
Hmm. I'm going to beleive it when I see it ;)

saabmania2
07-09-2007, 19:33
yep seeing is beliving, and at the mo i'm seeing about 3-4mb's on 20mb service so i'm not believing :(

Mr Angry
07-09-2007, 19:41
Fantastic!!

A whole 41.1% of a "promised" speed.

Let's break out the Cristal.

grabbi
08-09-2007, 01:35
Fantastic!!

A whole 41.1% of a "promised" speed.

Let's break out the Cristal.

but in corp. affairs, isnt that a good thing?

Sure, I think 100% should get the same service, but every company thinks that if a figure like that is happy, then it IS a celebration.

Strange but True!

nicke261192
08-09-2007, 11:56
Put it this way. The only other alternative is ADSL and for people who live miles away from there exchange its a lifeline to them lol

Mr Angry
08-09-2007, 12:04
but in corp. affairs, isnt that a good thing?

Sure, I think 100% should get the same service, but every company thinks that if a figure like that is happy, then it IS a celebration.

Strange but True!

It's "41.1% of their promised speed" - not 41.1% of the customer base.

In corporate affairs speak it means that, on average, VM broadband subscribers receive less than half of what they are paying for.

Obviously any company who could get away with delivering less than half of what their customers are paying for, for the same price as 100% delivery, would have good cause for celebration - in fact I'd expect they'd be beside themselves with delirium.

G UK
08-09-2007, 12:14
Well being 3rd quickest against what they have promised is surely good compared to the other options. It's not as if you can move providers to get a much better actual against promised speed as no one has above 54% on there average.

Again the test - with over 100,000 conducted last month - show Tesco (www.Tesco.net) and AOL (www.AOL.co.uk) leading the ISP pack, with customers receiving on average 53.8 per cent and 48.3 per cent of their advertised speeds respectively.

It would be nice if all providers would promise only what they could deliver but thats not going to happen.

LaineY
08-09-2007, 13:18
i can never remember Telewest being an UP TO service.. and iv had my broadband for almost 9 years..

what i find weird is.. i ALWAYS had my full speed.. even on 10MB..

but ever since these 20MB upgrades came out and Traffic Management was put in place.. its up and down like a Nun's Knockers

monkey2468
08-09-2007, 13:35
I did the speed test from that site on the link and it showed I was getting about 11Mb yet straight after wards connected to Giganews and downloaded at full 20 so I'm not sure how accurate the percentage of promised speeds per isp are.

grabbi
08-09-2007, 16:03
Interesting comment. I trie it too, and I was told I was on 5Mb, but on other sites I was seeing easy 17Mb!