PDA

View Full Version : New power adaptor (255)

jimbob35
07-09-2007, 14:01
I have the Ambit 255 modem and need a new power adaptor. It needs to supply 10V at 1000mA.

Any ideas of where to get one?

Cheers! :)

Graham M
07-09-2007, 14:05
Try Customer Services

jimbob35
07-09-2007, 14:11
Obviously that was the first thing i did, but they said it would be quicker for me to get an adaptor myself and they would credit my account..

Graham M
07-09-2007, 14:13
In which case, Maplins should have something to suit

jimbob35
07-09-2007, 14:19
Ye thats what I thought, but none of the adaptors there run at 10V.. Would a 9 or 12 volt adaptor damage the modem do you think?

XFS03
08-09-2007, 09:51
Obviously that was the first thing i did, but they said it would be quicker for me to get an adaptor myself and they would credit my account..
I would phone again & double check if I were you. That sounds like very dodgy advice.

As you say, 10v PSU's are not very common. Then you have to find one with the correct size plug and polarity.

How will the refund work?
What happens if the PSU damages the modem? Will VM charge you for a new one?

I thought it was against their T&C's to use non VM supplied equipment.

SMHarman
08-09-2007, 15:08
I have the Ambit 255 modem and need a new power adaptor. It needs to supply 10V at 1000mA.

Any ideas of where to get one?

Cheers! :)
I would call them back and tell them to send an engineer. Or you could buy a modem off ebay for the PSU.

That is crazy advice from a company that highlights a benifit that you rent the equipment so if it goes wrong it is their problem not yours.

The problem when people like you and I over diagnose our problems. If you had phoned up and said your internet was not working they would have threathened the 25 quid engineer fee, sent an engineer around who would have changed the modem and not charged the fee as it was a fault of their doing.

xpod
08-09-2007, 15:37

If you dont have any luck with VM i have a spare one here i would`nt mind sending you as long as you pay for P&P.

I have our old NTL120 modem lying there & my new V255 Modem and have 3 such adapters between them all so i can spare one i think.

EDIT I would`nt be letting VM fob me off though.....give em hell;-)
EDIT2:...in fact, PM me because i think it might be quite expensive after all, seeing as there sooooo hard to get......d`you get me...cough cough:)

Nedkelly
08-09-2007, 16:19
Get back to them i go to lots of faults where the wrong power supply is used The right supply for these modems 10v at 1.2 amps .To high a voltage damages the modem and a low voltage causes slow speeds and packet loss.Some techs will charge £25 if they attend and it is the wrong type all our power supplys have 0em on them :)