PDA

View Full Version : Any offers staying with VM after contract?

slimzee
06-09-2007, 18:54
Hi,

My 12 month contract is up now, ive always been with the biggest broadband package with VM. With the introduction of traffic management I do not wish to pay £37 for a 5mb connection.

Has anyone recieved any offers to stay with VM when you "try" to leave them?

If VM offer some sort of deal does it mean you are signing a new 12 month contract?

xspeedyx
06-09-2007, 19:13
call 0845 454 1111 and tell them you are gonna leave and see what they can do and yes you will start a new 12 month contract

dev
06-09-2007, 19:41
or pay the proper price to actually give VM some money to work with

jellybaby
06-09-2007, 19:44

:tu: Agreed

Sirius
06-09-2007, 19:45
:tu: Agreed

Well said. If the op is only gettting 5 meg then downgrade to 4 meg and pay the price for 4 meg

nicke261192
06-09-2007, 20:24
Well said. If the op is only gettting 5 meg then downgrade to 4 meg and pay the price for 4 meg
But then the OP will have a lower ammount they can download before they get capped so they will only have 2mb

johhn
06-09-2007, 20:51
am thinking leaving vm for be 24mb, hate traffic shaping.any suggestions from be users by any chance?

Sirius
06-09-2007, 21:15
But then the OP will have a lower ammount they can download before they get capped so they will only have 2mbBut they will not be parting with as much money.

TraxData
06-09-2007, 21:26

You mean give the more money so they can go waste another 30 mill on TV adverts instead of spending the money on an already crippling network? ;)

I would just ring up and say you can go elsewhere for cheaper to get a reduction.

I refuse to pay £37/month when i only get 5mbit out of it (im only on during peak hours, im not chav ****, i actually work for a living and would you believe it, dont finish till 5pm...so paying £37/month for 30mins of download usage is just not on. and when STM does kick in pings go through the roof and net is unbrowseable, so no thanks)

jonifen
06-09-2007, 21:27
Yes, it would be nice for Virgin to get the money, but to be fair here, if you guys went to a car boot sale, would you pay the price on the ticket? Or would you try and haggle? Likewise with a new car?
Vauxhall/Ford/Volkswagen all need money to invent new cars, just like Virgin Media need money to invest into their equipment and for future upgrades.
It's a fact of life that people always want the most "bang" for their buck, and Digital TV/Broadband/Phone is no different to buying a car in that if you can get it cheaper, then its a good result.

If you don't ask, you don't get... and if Virgin want to get the standard prices for things, they shouldn't offer discounts to people who say they are leaving as more often than not, they have no intention of doing so. (not that this is the case with the OP)

dev
06-09-2007, 21:41
You mean give the more money so they can go waste another 30 mill on TV adverts instead of spending the money on an already crippling network? ;)

I would just ring up and say you can go elsewhere for cheaper to get a reduction.

I refuse to pay £37/month when i only get 5mbit out of it (im only on during peak hours, im not chav ****, i actually work for a living and would you believe it, dont finish till 5pm...so paying £37/month for 30mins of download usage is just not on. and when STM does kick in pings go through the roof and net is unbrowseable, so no thanks)

guess i'm some 'chav ****' then, and here's me wanting to pay the full price and actually try to help VM improve things rather than hammering a connection that you want for practically nothing. if you want a 20mb connection to hammer get a leased line

goldoni
06-09-2007, 21:50
Hi,

My 12 month contract is up now, ive always been with the biggest broadband package with VM. With the introduction of traffic management I do not wish to pay £37 for a 5mb connection.

Has anyone recieved any offers to stay with VM when you "try" to leave them?

If VM offer some sort of deal does it mean you are signing a new 12 month contract?

Just tell them like I did “I will stay with you because I want to not because of a 12 month contract” if not I’m off. That’s what I did as I can get faster browsing with ADSL and free telephone calls without hanging up after 57 min all for £25.00 per month but I have decided to stay with VM

The only time I would accept a new 12 month contract is if new equipment was installed like a V+ box I have given them two months to sort the browsing problem or I will be off and the clock has stopped at 5 plus days.

In the early days when cable was new the company could dictate to you, now you can dictate to them if you start a new contract. Don’t forget you have 30 days to backtrack and stop the disconnection. You will know when they are trying to contact you; you will get lots of automated phone calls from a 0845 number. I had 23 of them before I spoke to a person from VM. Evan after that I had another 5 calls :mad:

TraxData
06-09-2007, 21:53
guess i'm some 'chav ****' then, and here's me wanting to pay the full price and actually try to help VM improve things rather than hammering a connection that you want for practically nothing. if you want a 20mb connection to hammer get a leased line

Aint you funny :D

Working class people are at work during the day, and most only get home at 5+pm, comes as a shock dont it?!!

Err, excuse you? 3 gig is excessive? ok ok come back into the real world here, i can use that without even touching the newsgroups, if your paying £37/month you expect to be able to use your connection when you feel like it, that was the major advantage cable had over ADSL, no limits.

Course they ruined that!

If you dont download alot on the 20mbit package, why upgrade to it?

People dont upgrade to 20mbit just to view emails faster.

So your ****ed at people using their connections to their maximum? Oh dear...

evil_fatneck
06-09-2007, 22:00
Oh behave you VM fanboys - VM inherited a perfectly good working infrastructure from Telewest and they have systematically screwed it up!!!

NTLVictim
06-09-2007, 22:22
The world is pushing bandwidth hungry stuff at us, and it's going to get heavier...the rest of the developed world is getting BB that is progressively faster and cheaper, quarter by quarter...A business model in the States is currently under discussion with the FCC that will give basic wireless BB FREE, with "added value" top ups to get revenue.

Hong Kong already has 100 meg for ten quid..the world moves on.

DeV? "or pay the proper price to actually give VM some money to work with"..

Life ain't a charity. Get over it.

goldoni
06-09-2007, 22:24
Oh behave you VM fanboys - VM inherited a perfectly good working infrastructure from Telewest and they have systematically screwed it up!!!

I think you will find NTL screwed it up first before VM got hold of it, or was it Telewest who bought NTL therefore you are correct. :D

dev
06-09-2007, 22:44

Working class people are at work during the day, and most only get home at 5+pm, comes as a shock dont it?!!

Err, excuse you? 3 gig is excessive? ok ok come back into the real world here, i can use that without even touching the newsgroups, if your paying £37/month you expect to be able to use your connection when you feel like it, that was the major advantage cable had over ADSL, no limits.

Course they ruined that!

you seem the ****ed one when it affects your speeds, but that's VM's fault isn't it? like i say, if you want to hammer a 20mb connection get a leased line, otherwise you're stuck with shared services and you'll have to accept you won't get 20mb 24/7

TraxData
06-09-2007, 23:23
you seem the ****ed one when it affects your speeds, but that's VM's fault isn't it? like i say, if you want to hammer a 20mb connection get a leased line, otherwise you're stuck with shared services and you'll have to accept you won't get 20mb 24/7

It is their fault actually, for not spending the 100 needed to get their network into shape, spent it on useless tv ads instead.

I'm not ****ed at all, im on the 20mbit business package (same as normal 20mbit but without STM) for £25/month.

I feel sorry for users who actually come home from work to use their connection only to find out 75% of it has dissapeared and they are now faced with high pings and awful browsing though!

I got 10mbit 24/7 without the need for STM, infact, i had a rock steady service up until STM got switched on.

Went downhill extremely quick from there.

Your the one who seems upset that people upgrade to 20mbit to *shock* download faster! that would be the point of a faster package, to get things quicker, as you need them.

And STM is only implemented because the cloned modems are affecting the network, perhaps you should go moan at those guys about excessive usage.

Can go moan at VM if you like as well, but they dont care about cloned modems, did you know they dont get STM'd as well? cool for them aint it, bad for the honest users.

Oh well, VM suck. But at £25/month business package and well over 1TB/Month of downloads i dont complain :)

dev
07-09-2007, 02:01
It is their fault actually, for not spending the 100 needed to get their network into shape, spent it on useless tv ads instead.

I'm not ****ed at all, im on the 20mbit business package (same as normal 20mbit but without STM) for £25/month.

I feel sorry for users who actually come home from work to use their connection only to find out 75% of it has dissapeared and they are now faced with high pings and awful browsing though!

I got 10mbit 24/7 without the need for STM, infact, i had a rock steady service up until STM got switched on.

Went downhill extremely quick from there.

Your the one who seems upset that people upgrade to 20mbit to *shock* download faster! that would be the point of a faster package, to get things quicker, as you need them.

And STM is only implemented because the cloned modems are affecting the network, perhaps you should go moan at those guys about excessive usage.

Can go moan at VM if you like as well, but they dont care about cloned modems, did you know they dont get STM'd as well? cool for them aint it, bad for the honest users.

Oh well, VM suck. But at £25/month business package and well over 1TB/Month of downloads i dont complain :)

right so you're not affected by STM but you act like you are?

you aren't ****ed but you make threads / newsgroup topics saying how **** VM are and how **** their network is etc, sound like a happy guy there :rolleyes:

after being STM'd your pings are not affected neither is browsing (except being at a slower, yet still fast, speed).

i'd like you to give some examples of what you download that requires you to do 'well over 1TB/month'

TraxData
07-09-2007, 03:42
right so you're not affected by STM but you act like you are?

you aren't ****ed but you make threads / newsgroup topics saying how **** VM are and how **** their network is etc, sound like a happy guy there :rolleyes:

after being STM'd your pings are not affected neither is browsing (except being at a slower, yet still fast, speed).

i'd like you to give some examples of what you download that requires you to do 'well over 1TB/month'

Yep i'm not ****ed, i used to be payin £37/month for a 20mbit service that was never 20mbit, but since the price drop and move over to business package im a very happy customer!

And trust me, like many other people, as soon as STM kicks in, pings go through the roof, browsing turns to slower than dial up etc.

May not be a problem in your area, but it is here and for many other people i know.

As for what requires 1TB/month, must be all those linux iso's :D

xspeedyx
07-09-2007, 09:20
would love telewest back the days where good ones

evil_fatneck
07-09-2007, 10:25
...so anyway, no-one actually knows if there is some widespread DNS issue? I'm sure I saw something on here about they were upgrading something and it will be sorted by September or something...anyone...anyone...Bueller...

goldoni
07-09-2007, 10:43
...so anyway, no-one actually knows if there is some widespread DNS issue? I'm sure I saw something on here about they were upgrading something and it will be sorted by September or something...anyone...anyone...Bueller...

That is as I understand it only part of the problem as you can switch to external DNS servers and yes the pages do come up a little quicker most of the time but then it seems to hit a wall and you have to turn them off. Last night things were flying, but this morning I am back to slow browsing again,,,,,Must keep away from the phone to re-start the clock, holding at 5 days,,,,,,

Stuart
07-09-2007, 10:50

Err. behind the scenes, the company is predominantly run by the old Telewest management..

So, it's Telewest that is actually "screwing it up".

videodj
07-09-2007, 11:31
And trust me, like many other people, as soon as STM kicks in, pings go through the roof, browsing turns to slower than dial up etc.

May not be a problem in your area, but it is here and for many other people i know.

As for what requires 1TB/month, must be all those linux iso's :D

On the rare occassion I am shaped my ping/browsing has never been affected. If I have a few things to d/l I'm quite happy to do it after 12 or during the day. I usually set d/l via remote desktop from work, simple.

I just wish I knew what people find to d/l, I probably d/l about 5 Gb a week. I'm sure people just try to d/l the entire internet in a night :D

TraxData
07-09-2007, 13:19
On the rare occassion I am shaped my ping/browsing has never been affected. If I have a few things to d/l I'm quite happy to do it after 12 or during the day. I usually set d/l via remote desktop from work, simple.

I just wish I knew what people find to d/l, I probably d/l about 5 Gb a week. I'm sure people just try to d/l the entire internet in a night :D

Yea..that's fine, but i dont see why i should have to leave my pc on wasting my electricity when there isnt a need to, and i cant remote in from work, id get in trouble :p:

As i said, this area, where i am, where 10mbit used to be fien 24/7, had perfect pings, no STM, those were the days.

Then it went crap.

xspeedyx
07-09-2007, 15:36
alot of the telewest people got replaced with ntl people and vm isNTL all over again

Trybrow
07-09-2007, 18:24
oh please. if you payd vm any more money do you think theyd use it to improve services? no. theyd pay themselves some nice big fat cat bonus. The service we get is the service they want us to get. its got nothing to do with us paying less or wanting faster speeds. Tell that to Ruby Wax and Uma Thurman.

nicke261192
08-09-2007, 14:57
Telewest were the bomb!!!

Trybrow
08-09-2007, 15:14
Telewest were the bomb!!!
shhhhh! don't say bomb
http://blog.peakdems.org/uploaded_images/Osama%20FU%20Bush-703172.jpg

Copperfaced Jack
08-09-2007, 21:59

:D

Me too.........crap browsing speeds, average of one meg or under on a 20 meg conn, and gaming online made impossible because of huge pings and latency.
Anytime from late morning to midnight. After that I don't know because I'm in bed before going to work.

It is truly awful.
All tech support are good for is asking what the weather is like in Bangalore and whether there are any good restaurants in Delhi......

Also, as to a 'new contract', had been with Telewest for many years, had problems with Virgin and rang tech support who couldn't help, they put me through to 'Disconnections' who gave me a a discount after saying they were working on the problems and that sometime they would be fixed (!!!). I agreed saying that I would see how it went over a few months, appreciating they were implementing new systems etc etc. However, I never remember siging a 'new contract' or anything similar. I only signed one contract and that was about 5 years ago with Telewest.
This 12 month contract tie in is surely a fictitious nebulous concept based on ambiguous telephone calls with retentions, isn't it?

mcmanic
09-09-2007, 19:35
do what alot of other do, get a cloned modem, only £25, save a fortune, easy to get hold of online

BTW i don't have one and pay full price 20meg but must admit its temptimg

leadbelly
10-09-2007, 01:31
wow... the fanboyism in this thread.

and 'dev'... places like japan have 100Mbit connection speeds dirt cheap and they don't have a problem.

if virgin media's network simply can't handle 20mbit connection speeds then they shouldn't of offered it. simple as..

it is entirely their fault.

ECW_Original
10-09-2007, 01:40
wow... the fanboyism in this thread.

and 'dev'... places like japan have 100Mbit connection speeds dirt cheap and they don't have a problem.

if virgin media's network simply can't handle 20mbit connection speeds then they shouldn't of offered it. simple as..

it is entirely their fault.

In a word... EXACTLY!!!

leadbelly
10-09-2007, 01:43
In a word... EXACTLY!!!

LOL

you know i've just come on this forum to bitch. i just find this traffic managing so annoying. i only have a 2mb connection and they're capping 2mb everytime you download at least 340 mb. that's such a small amount, it's totally ridiculous.

it's a couple of HD trailers on xbox live. i can't even download 1 demo without it being capped.

khanm78@hotmail.
10-09-2007, 15:20
wow i realy dont know why alot of you decide to pick on each other when askin or stating information...

I personaly just think the problem is simple keep what you have or look else where if your in a contract you should decide if what you are getting is what was in the contract if not then have Virgin broke the contract if the answer is yes or they have made a change to the contract after you signed that no longer benifits you as a consumer then have is desolved if the answer is no then you are getting what you signed for and no leg to stand on.
alternitivly if you have run your contract the full period you might want to look around the market see whats right for you.

thoes that work all week and only use the net for a few hours go to BT and have a look at some of there packages.

thoes that are thinking about 24meg with BE ( i think thats the company) first check to make sure that is exactly what you are gona get as its dependent on distance from exchange.
I know a few ppl who went with bulldog thinking they were gona get the top package but lived to far away.
also point to note BT are (thanks to isp's) upgrading alot of lines how this will works out i dont know.

me personaly i am anoyed at virgin i feel there quality has changed they implemented a fair user program which nullifiyed my contract i am ment to receive 10-20meg but never seem to get higher than 5meg so im loosing but in respect they still are decint.

My neighbour has been trying to get there modem to work for a month now even though they have received a bill demanding payment virgin customer care states that there is no record of them on there system 2 engineres have failed to show up to compleate the connection and virgin are saying they were recalled due to work in the area but if they miss another engineer they will be billed for it..the customer care person sympithised with them stating that the system did not know the diffrence. (they have since cancled ...or atleast they hope thay have just incase the system does not understand that as well)

but kay sara sara

Trybrow
10-09-2007, 19:09
I personaly just think the problem is simple keep what you have or look else where if your in a contract you should decide if what you are getting is what was in the contract if not then have Virgin broke the contract if the answer is yes or they have made a change to the contract after you signed that no longer benifits you as a consumer then have is desolved if the answer is no then you are getting what you signed for and no leg to stand on.
alternitivly if you have run your contract the full period you might want to look around the market see whats right for you.

Thank you for your common sense interjection. Yet at the end of your post you revealed that you are just the same as any of us. stuck.

You see every time VM changes your contract without telling you, you have 30 days to somehow find out and cancel. Its a great situation. As you know, your suffering from it yourself. fun fun fun!

I dont care. I can't complain, im living in the lap of luxury.

Magilla
10-09-2007, 19:12

But then he'll be getting 2meg (if he's lucky).

cora1
27-09-2007, 22:20
Out of curiosity, what kind've prices do you get if you haggle/threaten to quit VM?

gaffer_gump
27-09-2007, 22:25
Out of curiosity, what kind've prices do you get if you haggle/threaten to quit VM?

Dunno how much do Sky charge now ?

die5el
28-09-2007, 00:51
Just negotiated another deal with virginmedia a few days ago i now get my phone which i get the talk evenings and weekend local bundle and 20 meg broadband for £23.40 for a year if you are not happy with the service you getting phone customer services and try and get a new deal with them it worked for me. Why should only the new customers get the new deal and us old customers lose out

stooeh
28-09-2007, 09:06

Course they ruined that!

There's no crime in downloading while you are at work though...or sleep for that matter. And 3gig is a lot of legit stuff.

US.M@JORHAZZARD
28-09-2007, 15:49
There's no crime in downloading while you are at work though...or sleep for that matter. And 3gig is a lot of legit stuff.

Agreed, and for all you ISO bandits out there why would you DL'd X amount of different as you say linux ISO's when you will probably never use them...

I have to say i'm very happy with the service i get hardly ever dl'd between 4-midnight, only 1st thing in the morning and we set dl'ds to start after midnight which is roughly when we hit the sack..

Just as has been said many many times before if your not happy LEAVE,DOWNGRADE or just wait till you about to crash for the night then start your dl'ds of then easy really...

& yes i'm not a chav but i am a kept man my wife works and i stay home and look after the kids and play games...

TraxData
28-09-2007, 15:58

It may not be a crime, but it is an annoyance to have to use extra electricity and put up with the noise on top of that just go download something because VM decide to STM you when your actually home from work :rolleyes:

As for 3gb being alot of legit stuff? get real :rolleyes:

A demo weighs in at 1.5gb+ these days, so downloading one demo and streaming a HD video is alot of legit stuff? uh huh ok then.

3Gb is nothing these days, thus why you can use it up in 20 minutes!

But i dont care, business package, no stm = me happy and enjoying my 3tb/month of downloads, whenever i like :)

P.S Leave, Or Downgrade? well, not everyone can leave, it's not a choice, and others cant break out of their contracts!, downgrading also lowers your STM limit, which is even worse!

And are you forgetting the whole point of paying the extra for a premium package? ah yes, to DOWNLOAD, FASTER! not slower...believe it or not people dont get 20mbit so they can download text/emails quicker

quitefrankly
08-10-2007, 14:26
Agreed, and for all you ISO bandits out there why would you DL'd X amount of different as you say linux ISO's when you will probably never use them...

I have to say i'm very happy with the service i get hardly ever dl'd between 4-midnight, only 1st thing in the morning and we set dl'ds to start after midnight which is roughly when we hit the sack..

Just as has been said many many times before if your not happy LEAVE,DOWNGRADE or just wait till you about to crash for the night then start your dl'ds of then easy really...

& yes i'm not a chav but i am a kept man my wife works and i stay home and look after the kids and play games...

So what is the point in having 20mb if you are setting your downloads through the night? you may aswell have 2mb, it'll still be ready by the next evening. We want a real 20mb connection so we can dl'd there and then, isn't that why we are paying £37??

Richy99
08-10-2007, 14:44
to be honest you know what the cost and deal is before you sign up, if you feel that it is too expensive (now) then take your hard earned money elsewhere, you dont go to sainsburys and try to haggle because tescos is cheaper now do you?

v0id
08-10-2007, 15:50
to be honest you know what the cost and deal is before you sign up, if you feel that it is too expensive (now) then take your hard earned money elsewhere

Some people DO choose to go elsewhere, which in when customer relations offer these kinds of ridiculous "deals". It's just getting to the point where it's being abused IMO

you dont go to sainsburys and try to haggle because tescos is cheaper now do you?

I don't go to Tescos or the like unless I really need too.
I prefer to support my local grocer and butcher ;)

quitefrankly
08-10-2007, 15:55
When he (and myself) had signed up this speed throttling was not in affect and it was £2 cheaper so that isn't really true. So I agree with him, there is no better alternative though so the only alternative is to get a reduced rate to compensate for the bum deal we have now been dealt.

Put us all back to 10mb ALL THE TIME if you don't want us to use 20mb and we'll all be happy. Oh yeh, and give us our 2 quid back :)

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

I don't go to Tescos or the like unless I really need too.
I prefer to support my local grocer and butcher ;)

Yeh, we can haggle with them!!! :D