PDA

View Full Version : Is port 445 blocked ?

elcct
05-09-2007, 23:03
Hi

I am not using any firewall either on my laptop or on my servers.

My laptop is connected by Virgin Broadband using Belkin WiFi router that has firewall turned off.

What i wanted to do was to map drives that are on my servers as network drives on my laptop... and well i cant :)

i have tried to connect to my servers to ports 445 from other machines connected to other isp and it was ok...

So the question is: is port 445 somehow blocked by Virgin ?

Cheers,
elcct

Toto
06-09-2007, 07:16
If you are on Ex NTL network, the following ports are blocked inbound.

137 (UDP), 138 (UDP), 139 (TCP), 445 (UDP & TCP), 593 (TCP), 1433 (TCP), 1434 (UDP), 27374 (TCP)

The thread is here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/27219-ntl-blocking-dns2go-port-1227-a.html), see post #2 by Paul M.

To my knowledge these ports are not yet blocked on the Ex Telewest network.

Raistlin
06-09-2007, 09:09

My laptop is connected by Virgin Broadband using Belkin WiFi router that has firewall turned off.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

Seriously dude, you're asking for trouble and you're going to spread it around. Your machine is destined to become just another trouble-spot on the Internet.

:welcome: to Cable Forum by the way :)

tweetypie/8
06-09-2007, 09:27
Hi

What i wanted to do was to map drives that are on my servers as network drives on my laptop... and well i cant :)

i have tried to connect to my servers to ports 445 from other machines connected to other isp and it was ok...

So the question is: is port 445 somehow blocked by Virgin ?

Cheers,
elcct

hi and welcome to the forum :welcome: i wouldnt run without a firewall especially with the scumbags who are trying to eariwig ;)

elcct
06-09-2007, 11:08
Hello :)

i am on 'blueyonder.co.uk' network or sth.
so 445 _outbound_ connections are not blocked ? why i cant connect anywhere then?... :(

Cheers,
elcct

gaffer_gump
06-09-2007, 11:21
Welcome to the forum and please have a read of this (https://www.grc.com/port_445.htm) regarding port 445, you are just setting yourself up for a whole can of wupass..

elcct
06-09-2007, 11:31
The problem is that this port is not open on my laptop but on my servers. I want to connect to them and use my network drives. I dont have firewall on those servers and their 445 ports are exposed to internet. I've found that it is not a matter of wrong server configuration. I think it must be something with Virgin broadband.

Toto
06-09-2007, 12:28
So you're saying that your servers are configured OPEN on a port that is begging to be exploited, and you think its Virgin's fault, or have I read your post wrong?

dev
06-09-2007, 12:29
where are the servers located?

and for the love of god get a firewall!

Hugh
06-09-2007, 14:12
This may help, without exposing your home network to the bad boys out there.

Mapping (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/mapdrive.mspx)

btw, reiteration of the above recommendations - activate your firewall asap, and then sweep your machines for malware; you know it makes sense.

Raistlin
06-09-2007, 18:58
You know what?

(and I realise that I'm possibly being a little unkind here by generalising about you based on what little you've posted so far)

People like you are the reason that the Internet is the seething cess pit that it is at the moment. You glibly connect your 'servers' to the Internet, with little or no regard for any sort of security at all. Machines like yours are compromised all the time, then they get used as stepping stones for attacks on other machines or as distributed networks of machines as part of a larger attack.

Seriously, I would give up trying to work out how to get your machines to talk to each other until you've a) actually understood the basic premises behind what you're trying to do, and b) understood the basic security risks inherent in the way that you are (seemingly) going about it.

If you can't be arsed to learn any of that then please be sure to provide me with your IP address before you go too much further :mad::devsmoke: