PDA

View Full Version : Remote connections

Martindf3
05-09-2007, 10:22
Hi there,
This is my first time on the forum but i have been searching through the threads to find a answer to my problem . I have a pace,NTL set top box with an ethernet conncetion to the LAN socket and as yet no Router .My kids just pulled the usb lead out to connect thier lap tops up .As they have left home now ,I thought it best now to connect via LAN network cable .
It was via USB up until till this week .
My Problem ---- I have a programe installed that is asking for a remote connection I gather it can be set up with a router fairly easily but no mention of direct link from set top box I gather that VM doesn't hand out Fixed IP address's can the setiing be made manualy so the programe can get a port, or address? I cant yet figure out what it is all about , I understand Local area connection, properties, its at TCP/IP i get frightened can any one help, or do VM not want us to do this anyway
Regards Martin

Raistlin
05-09-2007, 10:49
Morning Martin, :welcome: to CF.

It might help if you tell us what the program is.

Martindf3
05-09-2007, 11:27
Morning Martin, :welcome: to CF.

It might help if you tell us what the program is.

I didn't want to say but the first one is Azureus and the other is ,if i use this part of it microsoft flight simulator , I believe it can connect up and you can fly with other members . If VM dosn't support this, thats fine I can connect already but its slow , and I like to make thing run at optimum and when i saw the comment about remote connection I thought there might be the possibility of speeding things up I am using XP home

Raistlin
05-09-2007, 16:31
Ok, so.....the problem is that Azureus is running slowly - probably that you're not getting any green lights on the torrents that you're downloading?

I'm guessing that the STB doesn't have a firewall built-in to it, so are you running a software firewall?

If so, you need to find out what ports Azureus is using to connect on (you can actually secify which ports it uses, go to 'Tools' > 'NAT/Firewall Test' and set a new port number in there (generally I would suggest anything higher than 30,000. Then you need to allow that port through the software firewall. Now, you need to accomplish the same task for the FS component that you are using.

Martindf3
06-09-2007, 14:41
How do you find out which port the programe is using ? I am using Kerio firewall and Azureus is enabled in the fire wall

Mick Fisher
07-09-2007, 14:59
IIRC..azureus/view/config/server

Martindf3
07-09-2007, 20:52
IIRC..azureus/view/config/server

I actually know where to change all the azureus setting , Its what number I enter .
Where do i find what my listening port number is. from my server or is it a random number i make up. all my TCP setting on the control panel/ network/lan setting are greyed out I can only presume since I am not going through a router Regards martin.
Please have patience with me I am struggling a bit with all this and the more I read the deeper I struggle

Mick Fisher
07-09-2007, 22:45
How do you find out which port the programe is using ?
I merely answered what you asked. :)

As for your new question of what should you alter it to, well you just make something up. Anything will do but if you are stuck try...erm..how about 8002 :)