PDA

View Full Version : Will the engineer run the cables under floors

Frosty Predator
04-09-2007, 21:19
I'm moving house soon and will require a complete installation from pavement and into the house for TV, phone and braodband.
When cabling in the house will the engineer run the cables to TV and cable modem under the floor with me so I can neatly get to the lounge for V+ box and the room with PC in for modem ? There is a hatch to access the under floor void and about 30" of crouchroom under the joists.
From what I've read on other posts it sounds like they aren't allowed in lofts so I'm not holding much hope with them going under floors. What's the general rules for installations, do they run a cable round the side of the house instead of gowing through/up/under walls and floors ?
Also, how much notice do they require once I have a completion date for moving in ?
Thanks in advance for any advice..

jamiefrost
04-09-2007, 21:31
In case the engineer cant run the cable in the void, how about putting some conduit and a draw wire in place so all the installer has to do is tape the draw wire to his cable and pull the cable through can't make it much simpler.

JJ

Frosty Predator
04-09-2007, 22:08
Great idea, thanks very much.

thelem
04-09-2007, 23:09
Or go into the floor yourself, have the engineer pass you the cable and you pass it back to him in the right place?

Standard practice seems to be to run the cable outside when possible, and once its inside to just run it around the skirting board.

handyman
04-09-2007, 23:59
Of course you can also ask the engineer to leave plenty of cable on like I did and route it till its how you want it. I'd got for the conduit route though as it will create a nice path to run ethernet etc which is a handy thing to have, especially if you want to use a networked media player or wire up a ps2, xbox.