PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to 20mb from 4mb

Cliffski
04-09-2007, 12:54
I'm afraid I've run out of ideas and would appreciate any solutions to my problem explained below. I have browsed the forums and taken note of the obvious suggestions to no avail. If anyone tells me to switch off my modem and reboot my computer I'll scream!

OK here goes.

I used to have a 4mb connection through my NTL set top box hardwired into my Host PC via a Netgear Rangemax MIMO-G wireless Router. There are up to3 other PC's feeding off the wireless connection at any one time. Other than the traffic management system operated by VM the speeds were reasonable most of the time.

Last week I upgraded to a 20mb connection. The engineer came out and fitted a modem (the small black NTL type) and connected it up through the router as before. After a little bit of hassle with the PIN / set up CD etc we have a connection.

Problem is that the speed is exactly the same as before, not the 20mb I was promised. Speed tests show anything from 0.8mb to 3.5mb. it varies wildly even using 'speedtest' and 'mybroadbandspeed.'

Four calls to Technical Support, loads of calls to Customer Care. Their system shows that I have the correct tariff and that I have indeed been activated for the 20mb service.

Ideas anyone?

banjo
04-09-2007, 16:29
I was on 20 meg and it ran like a pig, so I downgraded to 4 meg and can't see a lot of difference, accept the price !

saabmania2
04-09-2007, 20:07
hi try putting this into the address bar http://192.168.100.1/ and the username is: root
and password is: root

Then post the results of your modem settings you mainly want the
operation tab should look something like this:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

also you want the
Downstream Receive Power Level and the Upstream transmit Power Level:

Post these results and we can advise further:)

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS!!!!!!

Cliffski
05-09-2007, 08:44
hi try putting this into the address bar http://192.168.100.1/ and the username is: root
and password is: root

Then post the results of your modem settings you mainly want the
operation tab should look something like this:

also you want the
Downstream Receive Power Level and the Upstream transmit Power Level:

Post these results and we can advise further:)

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I did exactly what you said and my read out was the same as you printed above:

This is the cycle information:
Downstream received power: -9.9 dbmv
Upstream transmit power level 38.0 dbmv

I also looked at the status log and it has recorded quite a few errors:
DHCP error
FYNC timing synchronisation failure
no ranging response received, T3 timeout
Failure to aquire QAM / Q....

It's all Greek to me! maybe you know what it means. :tu:

Removed the wireless router and checked the download speed. It was 40-50kbs. Speed test averaged 2.5mb which is better than usual. When I put the router back in the tests etc were no different. (Assumes the w/l router is not the problem).

saabmania2
05-09-2007, 18:53
Thanks for the advice. I did exactly what you said and my read out was the same as you printed above:

This is the cycle information:
Downstream received power: -9.9 dbmv
Upstream transmit power level 38.0 dbmv

I also looked at the status log and it has recorded quite a few errors:
DHCP error
FYNC timing synchronisation failure
no ranging response received, T3 timeout
Failure to aquire QAM / Q....

It's all Greek to me! maybe you know what it means. :tu:

Removed the wireless router and checked the download speed. It was 40-50kbs. Speed test averaged 2.5mb which is better than usual. When I put the router back in the tests etc were no different. (Assumes the w/l router is not the problem).

i would say that your Downstream received power is too high should be a maximum of 4.5dbmv
upstream looks ok to me though
perhaps one of the techs on here could confirm this for you as i'm not that hot on these figs myself:)

Cliffski
06-09-2007, 13:17
TYVM Saabmania for your help.

Did you notice the Downstream Received Power was actually in the negative?

I tested again last evening and it was -5.5dbmv. Surely that's not right.

I'm persevering with the forum because I can't yet face another Tech Support call. (I'm building up to it :argue:). Trying to get my facts straight and all of rule out the obvious first.

Sooo slow. :zzz:

JHM
06-09-2007, 17:19
Hi Cliffski

Downstream received power operates in the approx range of -8dbmv to +8dbmv. So the figure you originally posted of -9.9dbmv is out of spec, but the second value you mentioned of -5.5dbmv is fine.

By the way if you have any problems don't bother with the Tech Support telephone line. Take yourself off to virginmedia.support.broadband.cable and post there. They are normally very helpful and quick to respond. And they are based in Liverpool

HTH

--John

saabmania2
06-09-2007, 18:17
hi,
next time you get the high figs cut and paste it into an email to as where john said virginmedia.support.broadband.cable it's a newsgroup and are much more helpful than the tech support phone line, i have the exact same fault at the mo and i posted the results on there to them and they said they will send out a tech (coming sat 8th sep) hope they can do something about it :rolleyes: i'm fedup like everyone else with this speed problem i get an average of 4-5mb and thats a good day
Regards

Cliffski
07-09-2007, 07:27
Ooh! thanks fellas, I'll do that.:D