PDA

View Full Version : Taken the plunge!

LSainsbury
01-09-2007, 14:50
I'm sure Zing will be proud of me....I've joined a gym! :mad:

Primary reasons are to loose some weight and get fitter! Ms LSainsbury goes once or twice a week and now that I've put on a stone or two over the last year I thought it was about time I did something about it.

I've got a session with the personal trainer tomorrow but been told to take it easy due to high bloody pressure...another reason for looseing weight and getting fit!

Anybody got any tips for me to turn a ~13 stone weakling into a fit human being? :p:

Delta Whiskey
01-09-2007, 15:17
Take it easy at first, otherwise you'll end up hurting yourself and be worse off. I went to a gym for a while but I found I lost more weight through walking a couple of miles each day.

Whatever you do, well done for taking the plunge. :)

Uncle Peter
01-09-2007, 15:31
If you're thinking about pounding the treadmill to shed those pounds, be careful... walk briskly for the first week or two then gradually increase your speed to a pace you're comfortable with.

As a rule, if you're too out of breath to hold a conversation during your cardio activity then slow down, you're training too hard.

Good luck and stick at it :)

v0id
01-09-2007, 16:59
lose not loose

Nidge
01-09-2007, 17:01

Primary reasons are to loose some weight and get fitter! Ms LSainsbury goes once or twice a week and now that I've put on a stone or two over the last year I thought it was about time I did something about it.

I've got a session with the personal trainer tomorrow but been told to take it easy due to high bloody pressure...another reason for looseing weight and getting fit!

Anybody got any tips for me to turn a ~13 stone weakling into a fit human being? :p:

You'll be OK when you get used to it mate, if I were you I'd ignore them personal trainer people, you do what you feel comfortable with, below is something I came across a few years ago. Just remember to eat clean and excersise.:D:D

If your looking to slim down and lose the gut and/or gain some lean muscle, here is some information you might want to know.

"A BEGINNER's GUIDE TO BODYBUILDING"

MYTHS

SPOT REDUCTION

NO SUCH THING!!! Doing a hundred crunches will strengthen the abs, but won't do anything to the fat. Only through hard work, cardio, and a healthy diet will you achieve this.

HIGHER REPS = MORE DEFINITION AND "TONENESS”

The truth is, higher reps will NOT tone your muscles or make them more defined. Once again, this is having a low body fat %. Higher reps will work on endurance though and is great for some athletes and marathon runners.

GAIN MUSCLE AND LOSE FAT

When we all start out lifting, we have this lucky gift of being able to lose fat yet get muscle at the same time. Over time, this completely goes away. I notice a lot of posts are "oh my goals are to lose the old gut while getting my chest bigger...". This isn't going to happen unless you are a beginner (a.k.a newbie) or on steroids. Think about it. How can you gain muscle on a calorie deficit and/or lose fat on a calorie surplus? Once you feel you gotten to the point where you can no longer do the above, then you have a choice of doing a cutting or bulking phase.

THE MORE THE BETTER (RIGHT?)
Ever hear the phase "muscle grow outside the gym". Well, this phase fits in right here. When people first start out lifting, they tend to think that more is better. This is definatly not the case. Your muscles and body needs time to recover. Also, around an hour or so (differs from everyone), cortical is released from the body which can actually kill off muscle tissue and cause muscle catabalism. This can be prevented if you train smart. Do no more then a 5 day split training each muscle once a week (smaller ones twice most) and working out no more then an hour. Now don't get me wrong, everybody is different and people respond to different methods, principals, techniques, etc. But this most likely all you need to do. Most people say "oh, I'm training each body part 2x a week and only have one rest day and getting good results" but what they don't realize is that they aren't giving their body (central nervous system) full time to recover as well as their muscles. Even though muscles only need 48-72 hours to recover, they still don't recover fully which is why it benefits you to take a week off every 2-3 months.

I DO CARDIO FOR MY LEG WORK..THAT'S ALL I NEED
The truth is, legs also need heavy anaerobic sets just like the upper body. Running is to aerobic to call it a leg "mass builder". Besides, the best exercise known to us bodybuilders is for legs (SQUATS!). By the way, chicken legs and a huge upper body will look very unproportianal and kind of weird.

I DIDN'T GET A PUMP OR WAS SORE THIS MORNING...
"Pumps" and soreness in your muscles doesn't mean too much (for hypertrophy [ muscle growth]). I could get a good pump from picking a weight and lifting it for 100x. This will porbably deal way more with endurance then hypertrophy. Samething goes with soreness. The real way you can tell if your workouts are good is over time.

CUTTING

Now lets say your goal is to look nice and thin and get rid of the old gut and get abs by the summer times Here you are going too need to start reducing your calories, increasing protein, decreasing saturated fats and carbs.

DIET
Some diets where people got good results from: Atkins diet, keto diet

Here are some estimations to help you figure out your calories and protein needs:

Calories: bodyweight x 11-13
Protein: bodyweight x 1.2-1.4

The key here is too keep saturated fats in moderation. Don't totally eliminate them from your diet. You still need some. Also, don't go overboard with decreasing the carbs (unless you are on keto which requires you too). Depending on your metabolism, try to split this into 4-6 smaller meals over the course of the day.

CARDIO
You are also going to have to start doing some cardio. Start out with one short cardio session. By starting out with a lot of cardio days, you are only hurting yourself and looking for an injury. Each week, start increasing it until you get around 20-45 minutes. You might also want to look into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio. Don't let the time (12-15 minutes) of these cardio sessions fool you. The sessions are very intense.

WEIGHT TRIANING
Training splits should stay the same. Like I said before, reps shouldn't go higher. I prefer a 3 day split while cutting because it is easier to fit in cardio and easier to recover while under a calorie deficit.

SUPPLEMENTS
Some good supplements too look are: whey protein, multi vitamins, glutamine, and fat burners (WARNING: only take a fat burner if you are in good cardiovascular condition and have good blood pressure with no history of bad cardiovascular health).

TIPS
A way you can minimize muscle loss is not decreasing the calories all over night. Don't just decrease your calories all in a day. Your body has to get used to what it has. Slowly decrease your calories by 200-300 each week until you get to your desired calories, carbs, and saturated fats.
BULKING
How many people out there no matter how hard they try, can't gain any muscle? There are a few reasons why this is so. Are you over training? Are you eating enough? Are you getting enough sleep? Etc.

DIET
Most people have a good workout, but ignore there diet. Like I said before, you must be eating. Take a look at these estimations:

Calories: bodyweight x 19-20
Protein: same as cutting

Keep carbs high too around 300-450 gram range (depending on bodyweight). If you limit saturated fats and bulk cleanly, you will limit the time you need to cut and minimizing muscle loss. Try to eat this in a matter of 5-7 meals.

TIPS
If you are getting too fat (do not do this if you aren't gaining at all) throw in a cardio session or two during the week.
If you are having trouble eating during class, eat a big breakfast and keep things that can be sealed like powerbars, peanuts, mrb shakes/bars in your locker.

www.fitday.com and www.calorieking.com are both great links for nutritional breakdown of certain specific foods.

WEIGHT TRAINING
Here I would recommend a 4-5 day split. There are a ton out there. Anyone will pretty much work as long as you are eating & sleeping enough, and not overtraining. Most people respond best to the 8-10 and 6-8 rep range. Some people respond better to lower reps like the 4-6 and/or higher reps like the 10-12. Anything lower then 4 IMO, is for strength gains,

SUPPLEMENTS
Some good supplements to look into are: whey protein, multivitamins, creatine, bcaa, liver tabs, zma and L-glutamine.

THE WORKOUT

When working out, you want to try and stick with heavy compound movements.

Back- Deadlifts, rowing movements, chinning/pull-ups
Legs- Squats, stiff legged deadlifts, calf raises
Shoulders - Shoulder presses (standing/seated, Arnold, DB/BB,etc) ISOLATION: raises
Chest - Bench press, Dips, ISOLATION flyes and crossovers
Biceps - Close-grip chinups, ISOLATION curls
Triceps - Close-grip bench press, skull crushers, ISOLATION tricep pushdowns
Traps- shrugs, upward row
Abs- weighted & decline crunches, hanging leg raises, lying side bends and twist crunches (obliques)

Here are some good websites for videos on proper form and exercises:

http://www.2-fit.com/video/index.html
http://www.theministryoffitness.com/exercises.htm
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Have a protein shake (Whey protein shake) and some sort of simple sugar like honey and/or dextrose after your workouts.

I recommend every month or two changing up your split. This will avoid a plateu when you no longer can gain anything. You can do something simple like superset or totally rearrange your split. Some great things to do are: pyramid (both up and down are good), supersets (and all variations), forced reps, down the rack, negatives (warm up properly before this), drop sets, etc. Bump up your calorie intake, protein, and carbs as well.

and also...
GET MOTIVATED!

LSainsbury
01-09-2007, 17:10
lose not loose

ohhhh look at you correcting my smelling pistakes!

If a passing mod could correct them for me - ta! :)

zing_deleted
01-09-2007, 17:32
Well done on training mate :)

I just trip out mate if you can get to the point where you do then your set ;)

Focus is all important put yourself in a zone when you work out dont let lifes problems or stresses or what you have to do when you leave the gym just focus on what your doing there :) If you can fit a punch bag and knock 10 shades out of it there isnt much better a workout than that and the stress it leases is awesome

I monitor my full intake and burn on www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) as long as you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight but eat healthy

good luck

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

big cut

some very good information however Ive redeveloped an upper body on a calorie controlled diet ive eaten a balanced lost weight and gained upper body mass

I use high reps cuz my whole training regime is geared towards fighting. High rep endurence high cardio lesser impact lower weight cuz I dont want to bulk up to much and become slow.Im BAWLA qualified also so the weights im doing I know im doing right ;)

Also you missed out the very important factors of cool down and stretching ;)

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

http://www.submityourarticle.com/articles/Jonathan-Perez-1252/gain-muscle-weight-7410.php this is a little information as to why you do not need a high protein diet to gain muscle ;)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_3_23/ai_108836455 and some more
http://www.mansized.co.uk/answers/answer.phtml/51 and yet more

so my advice is a balanced diet and fair exercise program and avoid to much protein :)

Tinky
01-09-2007, 19:31
I would dearly love advice on this problem, having dieted all my life, I have now got to the stage where I am toiling with every day chores! Don't like to admit it, but I know I have to do something drastic, even just walking is putting a strain on my back. Have given myself this weekend to pig out, and come Monday will start in earnest to regain my former fitness, this is definitely my last diet. Good luck to all who are in the same boat. Would anyone like to join me on Monday? Perhaps we could give each other moral support/tips. Ideally I would like to lose 3 stone for Christmas. (In my dreams) :tu: to all those who have managed namely Zing and Incognitas. Come on, lets do it folks, you know we can!

P.S. My Doctor won't allow me to go back to the gym.

alferret
01-09-2007, 19:59
Well done mate, im sure with the right technique that works for you it wont be long before you notice a difference.

I on the other hand am a lazy barsteward when it comes to exercise. Well I am now.
When I met my Helen I was 13st and quite fit, went to the gym 3\4 times a week, done a lot of cardio and weights, contentment has set in and unfortunatly I got up to 15st 8lb.

About 3 months ago we started on a healthier diet and less alcohol and more exercise, I lost 8lb (although I did see 14st 13lb once :erm: ) and now Im stuck at 15st, dont matter what I do its staying where it is. Had my bloods done and my thyroid\parathyroid came back perfect.

Think coffee enema's and liposuction are gonna be my last result to loose weight :rolleyes:

Nidge
01-09-2007, 20:37
Well done mate, im sure with the right technique that works for you it wont be long before you notice a difference.

I on the other hand am a lazy barsteward when it comes to exercise. Well I am now.
When I met my Helen I was 13st and quite fit, went to the gym 3\4 times a week, done a lot of cardio and weights, contentment has set in and unfortunatly I got up to 15st 8lb.

About 3 months ago we started on a healthier diet and less alcohol and more exercise, I lost 8lb (although I did see 14st 13lb once :erm: ) and now Im stuck at 15st, dont matter what I do it staying where it is. Had my blods done and my thyroid\parathyroid came back perfect.

Think coffee enema's and liposuction are gonna be my last result to loose weight :rolleyes:

Here's a guide to a bit of a diet plan read the myths and the true bits.

First off this article is for people that want to lose weight and have a problem with carbohydrates and spiking blood sugars. This article is not complete but I will finish later as it is a long read.

What about grains? Well, 8000 years ago, there were no grains, bread or pasta.

Agriculture is a very recent (by evolutionary standards) invention.
We regularly eat large quantities of dense, highly processed carbohydrates such as grains and grain based products like pasta. Because we haven’t evolved to a stage where we can eat excessive amounts of these high density carbohydrates without adverse biochemical consequences, our bodies aren’t able to operate properly. We gain excess weight, suffer from diabetes, heard disease and a host of other ills, feel sluggish, and generally perform at a sub-par level.

Much of the information we received over the years about losing weight is simply wrong.
Over the past 20 years, this misinformation has been responsible for making us fat-phobic. We consume only foods low in fat in a attempt to remain or get thin.
What has been the payoff for our fat obsession? Has our dedication to low fat lifestyle turned us into a nation of lean healthy people?
NO! In fact the exact opposite has resulted. Over the past 20 years the US population (as well as most countries that eat a western diet) has experienced a consistent increase in excess body fat. Obesity over the last ten years has reached widespread levels in the U.S. despite the public actually consuming less fat than before.
In November of 1998, the U.S. Surgeon General declared an epidemic on obesity in America.

THE FOOD PYRAMID……†¦..I don’t think you guys in the UK have this but I am sure there are similar things judging by your diets.

The food pyramid was not designed by the medical establishment. It was designed by the US Agricultural Department. Now the Agricultural Department job is to sell agricultural products.
The current “Healthy” diet consists of about sixty-five percent carbohydrates, fifteen percent fat, and twenty percent protein. These numbers are shown in this pyramid. As you see, we have been told to eat almost eleven servings a day of breads, cereal, rice, and pasta. They are at the basis of the pyramid. These products are refined carbohydrates. They are manmade carbohydrates.
Was this diet ever tested in the human population prior to being recommended by the US government? Surprisingly, the answer is no. This diet came out in the late sixties in response to the rising epidemic of heart disease. For some reason people still think this is healthy eating habits.
The American Heart Association decided that since fat is a key component for one of the risk factors for heart disease, then Americans should start eating less saturated fat. The problem is that there are more types of fat than just saturated fat. The government assumed we were not smart enough to just cut out saturated fats, so it urged us to cut out all fat. Fat was labeled as the enemy.
Fat is a source of calories. When you cut out fat, you have to replace those calories with something else. The replacement was carbohydrates, because carbohydrates often don't have any fat. The vacuum formed by reducing all the fat in our diets was taken up by carbohydrates.
When this diet was created in the late sixties, twenty-five percent of the adult population was obese. We have now hit the fifty percent mark.
Dietary Fat Does Not Make You Fat!
The solution to this apparent riddle might surprise you, but the explanation is simple. Eating fat in the proper amounts does not make you fat. I will take this one step farther. Eating fat does not make you fat. This sounds like nutritional heresy, but there’s scientific proof. In the 1950’s, Kekwick and Pawan at the University of London in England published a landmark study. They put patients on a diet that was low in calories (1000) but high in fat. In fact, fat supplied 90 percent of the total calories. What happened? Those patients lost significant amounts of weight. When the same patients were put on a high-carbohydrate diet (90% of the calories form carbs) with the same number of calories, there was virtually no weight loss.
There is one industry that has devoted a lot of money to the understanding what fattens animals up. The cattle and hog industry. They know the fastest way to fatten animals up to get the most profit. How do they do this? By not allowing the cattle to roam and graze and feed them lots and lots of low fat, complex carbohydrates, in the form of grain.
What is the fastest way to fatten us up just like cows? Eat lots of low-fat processed carbohydrates.
I am not against carbohydrates just the processed man made ones. Fresh fruits and vegetables are better than breads and pasta’s any day.

Eating carbohydrates stimulates insulin secretion. Since your body has a limited capacity to store carbohydrates, doesn't know when its next meal might be, and has an unlimited ability to store food as fat, insulin does just that. Insulin turns the excess carbohydrates into fat! Dietary fat, on the other hand, does not stimulate insulin secretion. By eating the proper ratio of low-density carbohydrates, dietary fat, and protein, you can control your insulin production.
INSULIN-STIMULATING CARBOHYDRATE CONTENT
Since a carbohydrate restricting Diet is about insulin control, you have to realize that not all carbohydrates affect insulin equally. Every complex carbohydrate must be broken down into simple sugars and will eventually enter the bloodstream as glucose, which in turn will have a stimulatory effect on insulin secretion. Fiber (both soluble and insoluble) cannot be broken down into simple sugars, and therefore it will have no impact on insulin. Taking this into account
If a carbohydrate source (such as pasta) has very little fiber content, then virtually all of its listed carbohydrate content will be insulin-stimulating carbohydrate. On the other hand, if a carbohydrate source is rich in fiber (such as broccoli), then its insulin-stimulating carbohydrate content will be significantly reduced. This means that more volume of fiber-rich carbohydrate source must be consumed to have the same impact on insulin secretion as a much smaller volume of low-fiber content carbohydrate.
You can quickly see that you would have to eat a tremendous volume of broccoli (approximately 12 cups) to have the same impact on insulin as eating a relatively small amount of cooked pasta. This is why starches and grains are considered high-density carbohydrates, whereas fruits are medium-density carbohydrates, and vegetables are low-density carbohydrates. The Atkins and Zone Diets relies heavily on low-density carbohydrates, so large volumes of food must be consumed in order to have an appreciable impact on insulin. This is also why high-density carbohydrates are used in moderation on the Zone Diet because very small volumes can stimulate excess insulin production

The glycemic index is a measure of the entry rates of various carbohydrate sources into the bloodstream. The faster their rate of entry, the greater the effect on insulin secretion. There are three factors that affect the glycemic index of a particular carbohydrate. The first is the amount of fiber (and especially soluble fiber) a carbohydrate contains; the second is the amount of fat found in the carbohydrate source (the more fat consumed with the carbohydrate, the slower the rate of entry into the bloodstream); the third is the composition of the complex carbohydrate itself. The greater the amount of glucose it contains, the higher the glycemic index; whereas the more fructose a carbohydrate contains, the lower the glycemic index. This is because fructose cannot enter into the bloodstream without first being converted into glucose, a relatively slow process that takes place in the liver.
With time the glycemic index soon became the new fashionable guideline to determine which carbohydrates to eat. However, the glycemic index had significant experimental problems in dealing with low-density carbohydrates, such as vegetables.

The difficulties arose because determination of the glycemic index requires that a sufficient intake of carbohydrate (usually 50 grams) be consumed. But it is simply too difficult to consume this amount of carbohydrate from most vegetables at a sitting. For instance this would require consuming about 16 cups of steamed broccoli. As a result, nearly all the glycemic index work has been done with grains, starches, and some fruits, and virtually nothing is known about the glycemic index of low-density vegetables that are the backbone of the Zone and Atkins Diets.
Ultimately, a healthy diet is obtained through insulin moderation, which can best be achieved by primarily consuming low-density carbohydrates that also have a low-glycemic index. That means eating a lot of vegetables.
Even though the glycemic index of each of these carbohydrates (1 cup pasta and 1 cup broccoli) are about the same, 1 cup of pasta generates 20 times the insulin response as 1 cup of broccoli. And a single apple generates about 6 times the insulin response as the 1 cup of broccoli.
And you can also understand why many of the carbohydrates found in traditional grain-based vegetarian diets are likely to dramatically increase insulin levels. For example, white rice generates a tremendous amount of insulin response compared to the same volume of oatmeal or barley because rice has a greater glycemic load. Likewise, most breakfast cereals will have the same impact on insulin as a Snickers bar, since their glycemic loads are approximately the same. Meanwhile cooked vegetables represent a very low glycemic load, which is why they are a critical component of the Zone and Atkins Diets.

But remember that the more processed a food, the higher the glycemic load. This is why boiled beans have a much lower glycemic load than the same volume of canned beans. And when you make any bean (like black beans) into a soup, the glycemic load skyrockets because the prolonged cooking breaks down the cell walls of the bean making it easier for the body to digest it into simple sugars for absorption.
Carbs before bed?
If you eat a carbohydrate rich snack before bed, you’ve done everything in your power to inhibit growth hormone release. Why? Because you raised insulin levels, and insulin retards the secretion of growth hormone from the pituitary gland.

At this point this article is incomplete and am going to post anyway but I will add to it later when I get a chance. I wanted to go into carbohydrate addictions but will have to add that later.

zing_deleted
01-09-2007, 21:40
I strongly disagree with the unneeded massive cut backs in carbs

http://www.purchon.com/biology/diet.htm

all you need to do to lose weight is eat a balanced diet consisting of mainly carbs then protein then fat and consume less that the body uses. An overweight person burns more calories doing nothing than someone at a healthy weight doing nothing (basel rate) so this needs to be taken into consideration. Enough calories need to be consumed to keep the fires burning as it were eating to little means fats will not be processed and onces the carbs have been used proteins will be used and if you have not consumed enough this will be muscle or even the liver as this is the easiest organ absorbed,

I did nutrition a few years back and it works for me as evidence in the pictures ive posted proves

If you do not mind stinking breath and dark smelling urine then cut your carbs right back go into ketosis this does mean fats are burning but when I tried atkins it made me ill a good friend of mine tried it and when going back to a normal balanced diet she gained it all back. Its all about lifestyle change drastic measures do not work long term

Everything you consume for energy goes through the same process carbs first then proteins then fats at the end of the day they are all pushed throgh Krebs cycle and turned to a form of sugar and then in turn into ATP http://www.sagewoodwellness.com/Doc0002.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

homealone
01-09-2007, 21:51
I would dearly love advice on this problem, having dieted all my life, I have now got to the stage where I am toiling with every day chores! Don't like to admit it, but I know I have to do something drastic, even just walking is putting a strain on my back. Have given myself this weekend to pig out, and come Monday will start in earnest to regain my former fitness, this is definitely my last diet. Good luck to all who are in the same boat. Would anyone like to join me on Monday? Perhaps we could give each other moral support/tips. Ideally I would like to lose 3 stone for Christmas. (In my dreams) :tu: to all those who have managed namely Zing and Incognitas. Come on, lets do it folks, you know we can!

P.S. My Doctor won't allow me to go back to the gym.

I'd get your doctor to tell you what you can do, not what you can't ;)

- provided he/she agrees, and given the thread title, I'd suggest swimming if the gym isn't an option??

zingle's posts on how he has not gone on a 'diet' but completely changed the way he looks at what he eats, are well worth reading, in my opinion. Not just in this thread...

Nidge makes some interesting points, too - I'm looking forward to the rest :cool:

zing_deleted
01-09-2007, 21:58
I think Nidges posts are interesting to but imo they are not for a normal person who is just trying to lose weight or get fitter they are firmly aiming again imo at the body builder

alferret
01-09-2007, 22:28
That was an interesting read Nidge, although my love of meat is great I think the Atkins diet would have me puking. (I suppose that’s one way to loose weight tho )
One of my problems is that I tend not to eat breakfast, or in fact eat for at least 2 hours after getting up, also I try where possible to stay away from wheat based products due to intolerances.
My daily weekday food intake would consist of the following...
3-4 Oranges
2 Banana’s
3-4 Plums
Fresh salad with Sardines or Pilchards
Then evening meals consist of
Chicken breast cooked in olive oil with various seasonings and lots of garlic with either Boiled or Jacket potato's and either salad or steamed fresh veg.
Weekends are a little more relaxed but again I try to avoid wheat and gluten based products, I may have a curry on a Sat, or home made spag (with rice) or a chilli con carne.
Sunday lunch comes in the form of Beef\Lamb or on the odd occasion Pork, with steamed veg and roast pots, maybe a desert and then salad for tea.
Most days I drink between 3 & 5ltrs of fluid, water, juice and a couple of cups of tea.
As for exercise I have a physically demanding job and I walk between 4-6 miles most Fridays and Sundays.
The above is how I try to loose weight, considering that prior to April\May my health lifestyle was pretty crap I think I have made some of the right changes, but it doesn’t seem to be working :(
I suppose we could all hope to help each other in some small way, I’m always open to suggestions and constructive criticism.

I also have a slow metabolism which needs a kickstart I would imagine.

zing_deleted
01-09-2007, 22:32
The lack of food in the morning seems to be a problem from what I see. Breakfast is exactly that a break in the fast from being asleep. Your body needs nutrition first thing in the morning or it thinks its not going to eat and the metabolism slows http://www.wellbridge.com/wellbridge/cambridge/lifedesigns.php?ID=9 a banana and an apple would do the trick ;) I eat a punnet of strawberries and an apple every morning then a banana a couple of hours later

exercise now is pretty nuts for me I do 30 to 40 minutes or 600 cals on an elliptical cross trainer an a fair level maintaining heart rate of approx 140 to 150 bpm and running 5 k on the tread mill (this is new but its my new plan and has lasted a week so far lol ) burning at least another 400 calories this is 5 mornings a week and I do an hours weight training (endurence medium weight high reps ) 5 times a week also. On average I burn 4000 calories a day while consuming somewhere between 2000 and 2500

alferret
01-09-2007, 23:02
How would I get around that Zing? no matter what I eat, if I eat first thing I feel sick.

zing_deleted
02-09-2007, 00:33
well when you say feel sick are you actually phsically sick? if not then eat anyway and allow yourself to adjust or at the least go see the doctor or maybe try something like a slimfast shake or drink a pint of semi skimmed or skimmed milk

AntiSilence
02-09-2007, 00:44
or even the liver as this is the easiest organ absorbed

OMG.. NO!!! I need that for drinking purposes!!!

Nidge
02-09-2007, 06:22
I think Nidges posts are interesting to but imo they are not for a normal person who is just trying to lose weight or get fitter they are firmly aiming again imo at the body builder

It's aimed at people who have a desire to lose weight, I know people who have lost wieght via this method and kept it off after coming off of the diet, this has only been done with a good eating plan and a excersise plan, stripping the body of fat will lower the metobolic rate of the body thus putting the body into maintenance mode AKA shutdown / starvation mode. Getting the body into a fat burning mode a decent excersise routine and eating plan must be in place. You must eat 5-6 times a day to maintain metabolic rate with brekfast being the most important meal of the day irrelivant of what diet / excersise routine you are on, we need to kick start our metabolic machine and that is done first thing in a morning with a good brekfast.

I'm not a body builder and I can survive on 100grms of carbs a day, I do a fair bit of running and weight training and like I mentioned I can live off 100grms of carbs a day, I have 2 refeed days a week these being on a Wednesday and a Sunday where I up my carbs to over 700 grms a day, today is refeed day:D :D The body needs a refeed to raise the leptin levels thus tricking the body into thinking the diet is over so, it's got some food to start the fat burning process all over again. Today I will consume over 7,000 calories these being good and bad calories, good carbs and bad carbs, I'll wake up in the morning ready to take on the whole world.:D:D:D

I've just had a massive bowl or Quaker oats with raisins and a banana and honey followed by a blueberry muffin:D:D

zing_deleted
02-09-2007, 08:18
Stripping body fat will not lower the metabolic rate but not eating enough will. Over weight people and people of ideal weight as long as they eat correctly have the same(ish) metabolic rate however a larger person tends to have more muscle which uses more energy this is not metabolic rate this is simply because the larger mass needs more energy to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/medical_myths.shtml

tweetypie/8
02-09-2007, 12:00

:LOL: m8 personally i would give the personal trainer a by ball :td: no faith in them at all ,a good heavy punch bag,a speed ball,a skipping rope,will burn all the calories you want,break into it sensibly [ dont go mad ] for a week or two and 3 months down the road you will feel a totally different guy give it your best shot mate and keep us up to date how things are going for you :tu: p.s. strap the fists and wrists before taking on the heavy bag.

zing_deleted
02-09-2007, 12:05
And strap up if your taking on someone else too ;)

etccarmageddon
02-09-2007, 12:26
after I got a dog 3 years ago within a year I lost my fake pregnacy.

you're all welcome to come round and walk my dog which is roughly 2 hours of my time a day and then let me become fat again.

Graham M
02-09-2007, 12:31
Nidge in one of your previous posts (I take it was C&P?) you recommended ZMA and L-Glutamine as supplements to take with body building - while this is true, they can help, seek the advice of an expert because these can be useful in certain situations but can also be decremental to what you're trying to achieve. The safest thing to go for is a good protein powder, and possibly a creatine if you're lacking in energy to do what you're trying to do, Glucosamine Sulphate is useful for anyone, but especially runners and cyclists as it's been proven to help maintain joint cartilage .

Doctors are (mostly) fairly useless with this kind of thing they can help you lose weight, but most will admit they're not interested in this kind of thing.
The best person you can talk to if you want to get into body building is someone with a lot of experience in the field, they will know what works and what doesn't.

zing_deleted
02-09-2007, 13:01
you see here we have a difference in opinion. Protein supplements are only really of any use for a serious body builder remember its not protein that builds muscle its amino acids. Also I do not see anywhere mention the OP wants to be a body builder he wants to be fit and lose weight. Now this isnt a blanket case but a body builder isnt necessarily fit he will be strong but he might not be able to run there is a big difference. Fitness imo can only come by raising your cardio vasscular level through energetic exercise and not through pumping iron. I burn over twice as much energy in an hour doing cardio than I do in an hour doing weights and im no slacker I do not do heavy weights but I train with no rests just set after set after set

Graham M
02-09-2007, 13:12
you see here we have a difference in opinion. Protein supplements are only really of any use for a serious body builder remember its not protein that builds muscle its amino acids. Also I do not see anywhere mention the OP wants to be a body builder he wants to be fit and lose weight. Now this isnt a blanket case but a body builder isnt necessarily fit he will be strong but he might not be able to run there is a big difference. Fitness imo can only come by raising your cardio vasscular level through energetic exercise and not through pumping iron. I burn over twice as much energy in an hour doing cardio than I do in an hour doing weights and im no slacker I do not do heavy weights but I train with no rests just set after set after set

I'm not the one that suggested he was into Body Building, Nidge seemed to be by his post. You are right, it is Amino Acids that, well, build the body, but for Body Building, you won't really see a massive size increase imo with a BCAA complex alone, the body needs (and uses) a lot of Protein in its day to day going abouts and you won't really see any size increase without increasing your intake (at least not of lean mass anyway), but you are right, CV is the way to go, especially to begin with.

Different things work for different people in different ways!

zing_deleted
02-09-2007, 13:24
my muscle mass has increased dramatically over 4 months . 2 " on my biceps good visable growth to my traps and lats and the only protein rich thing I consume is 12 oz of chicken breast a day in fact fitday averages out my protein intake at 142 grams per day

Graham M
02-09-2007, 13:39
That's a pretty high protein intake you've got their from your food I have to say, only thing that worries me a little about chicken these days is what they feed them :eek:

zing_deleted
02-09-2007, 14:25
Im on a good diet ;)

tweetypie/8
02-09-2007, 23:46
And strap up if your taking on someone else too ;)

you got it zing :D

danielf
03-09-2007, 00:24
<snip>

I'm not a body builder and I can survive on 100grms of carbs a day, I do a fair bit of running and weight training and like I mentioned I can live off 100grms of carbs a day, I have 2 refeed days a week these being on a Wednesday and a Sunday where I up my carbs to over 700 grms a day, today is refeed day:D :D The body needs a refeed to raise the leptin levels thus tricking the body into thinking the diet is over so, it's got some food to start the fat burning process all over again. Today I will consume over 7,000 calories these being good and bad calories, good carbs and bad carbs, I'll wake up in the morning ready to take on the whole world.:D:D:D

I've just had a massive bowl or Quaker oats with raisins and a banana and honey followed by a blueberry muffin:D:D

Bloody Hell, that sounds like so much work. I'm so glad I'm 'naturally' skinny. I pay no attention whatsoever to what I eat and drink (I should, really, with the latter), and I've never gone over 10 stone (I'm 5ft 10, but I do have a very large willy). Joking aside, I've never been a big eater. I eat till I'm content, rather than finish my plate. For exercise: I don't drive, I cycle (I hate walking/running) and play squash and football about two times a week. Oh, I smoke 20 a day as well :blush:

alferret
03-09-2007, 17:13
well when you say feel sick are you actually phsically sick? if not then eat anyway and allow yourself to adjust or at the least go see the doctor or maybe try something like a slimfast shake or drink a pint of semi skimmed or skimmed milk

I just feel sick zing, been like it for as long as I can remember, years n years.

I'll try the slimfast thing and see if that makes any difference.
Thanks for the input.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Bloody Hell, that sounds like so much work. I'm so glad I'm 'naturally' skinny. I pay no attention whatsoever to what I eat and drink (I should, really, with the latter), and I've never gone over 10 stone (I'm 5ft 10, but I do have a very large willy). Joking aside, I've never been a big eater. I eat till I'm content, rather than finish my plate. For exercise: I don't drive, I cycle (I hate walking/running) and play squash and football about two times a week. Oh, I smoke 20 a day as well :blush:

I used to be naturally skinny. I used to be 11st and being 5'11" was about right, very fit and active, running, badmington etc. But when I reached about 23\24 I felt too skinny, got it in my head that I was "thin" so I went on a "put weight on" diet and this was where my downfall started, it wasnt until 5 years ago that I started sorting myself out, then 2 yr ago I became content and its all gone back on, me n homer have the same silhouette :shocked: