PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance call

billygeorge
01-09-2007, 01:19
Hi, I have a problem with a nuisance call
A machine rings me and asks for someone else (obviously a wrong number)
It asks if I am this person and gives me the choice of pressing one if I am, and two if I am not.
For a start I kept pressing two and this ends the call, then I started to get annoyed, so I started to press one, This gives me a connection to India, I keep telling them that they have the wrong number, but I still get the same call the next day.
My partner answered it this morning and pressed two, and was then told off by the person at the other end for pressing two when she was not the person asked for!!!!!
How can I end this?
I have dialed 1471 and got the number 08701240200
I have called this number and it is answered by a machine saying it is GE MONEY
I have tried to call GE MONEY but they want my a/c number
HELP

joglynne
01-09-2007, 01:46
Hi billygeorge and https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/04/35.gifto the forums.

You have tried to follow the phone script and got nowhere so personally I would just hang up in future.

GE Money is the trading name for GE Consumer Finance and GE Capital Bank Ltd. You could try writing or e-mailing them but unless you know the name of the customer they are trying to contact it would be impossible for them to correct the incorrect phone number they obviously must have on the banks records.

http://www.gemoney.co.uk/

m419
07-09-2007, 18:57
NEVER EVER press any buttons when you get robot calls from places you don't know!There is a way of reversing the charge to you!There was a scam being conducted from USA offering holidays to Florida, they call you on this automated system and tells you to press 9 for more info. When you do this it charges you a flate rate of £20!Strangely enough, this only happened to Telewest customers.

spiderman2
07-09-2007, 19:54
Hi, I have a problem with a nuisance call
A machine rings me and asks for someone else (obviously a wrong number)
It asks if I am this person and gives me the choice of pressing one if I am, and two if I am not.
For a start I kept pressing two and this ends the call, then I started to get annoyed, so I started to press one, This gives me a connection to India, I keep telling them that they have the wrong number, but I still get the same call the next day.
My partner answered it this morning and pressed two, and was then told off by the person at the other end for pressing two when she was not the person asked for!!!!!
How can I end this?
I have dialed 1471 and got the number 08701240200
I have called this number and it is answered by a machine saying it is GE MONEY
I have tried to call GE MONEY but they want my a/c number
HELP

call faults & get anonymous caller rejection activated
& get ur phone no. registered on tpsonline.uk.org to get rid of these calls.

danielf
07-09-2007, 19:57
NEVER EVER press any buttons when you get robot calls from places you don't know!There is a way of reversing the charge to you!There was a scam being conducted from USA offering holidays to Florida, they call you on this automated system and tells you to press 9 for more info. When you do this it charges you a flate rate of £20!Strangely enough, this only happened to Telewest customers.

I thought this story was a hoax?

Edit: snopes (http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/jailcall.asp)

m419
07-09-2007, 21:44
No its not, someone elderly in my household pressed 9 and we've been charged for it. At the moment ICSTIS is dealing with the case and it has been ongoing since 24th February 2005! This is because there have been so many cases and because its coming from overseas. Although its been a while since it was raised with ICSTIS, we are in regular contact with them, Ofcom,Cable and Wireless and Virgin Media are also involved to track where it is coming from and how it can be prevented in the future and how they can stop this reverse charge calling without proper consent of the bill payer.I dunno why Cable and Wireless are involved, I guess they are the ones who route calls in and out of the UK for Cable companies.If they are found guilty, they would be found gulity of misleading consumers since they do not provide the price of pressing 9!