PDA

View Full Version : manchester 20MB- getting 4MB MAX

city-boy
31-08-2007, 00:54
I'd like to know if anyone in or around Manchester is getting anything better than my maximum which is between 4-5MBit. I just ran another test and got 4MB now at 00:51. My modem levels are fine, I checked these and they are within the ranges both directions. Is everyone else experiencing this around Manchester or should I ring the faults line?

I tried downloading from the VirginMedia WWW site and got 140Kbytes a sec average, so probably not a fault of the speed tests I've been using,

Also is anyone else on anything other than QAM64 in Manchester? I still am, but I read about them upgrading everyone.,

moaningmags
31-08-2007, 00:55
Perhaps you've been throttled.
Were you downloading and did you hit 3gig?
If so, it won't lift for 4 hours

city-boy
31-08-2007, 00:57
I thought that turned off at midnight.

moaningmags
31-08-2007, 01:01
nope, it stops 4 hours after you hit 3gig
and it also runs on GMT, we at the moment are in BST(british summertime)
meaning 1am is when you can hammer it if you haven't hit 3gig.

city-boy
31-08-2007, 01:09
Well I have been downloading a lot today, but not this evening. I just ran another speed test and I got 1.5Mbit down, 600Kbit up. I'm guessing the 600Kbit up means that I'm not restricted, as don't they limit it to 256Kbit when I go over.

city-boy
31-08-2007, 09:04
I just tried again, still no improvement...
So anyone else have as bad a bandwidth or should I contact faults?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/08/6.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Sirius
31-08-2007, 09:42
Your not the only one having problems.

city-boy
31-08-2007, 10:02
Do they intend on fixing this or should I jsut swtich ISP. I can get bethere and I'm quite close to the Exchange.

chickendippers
31-08-2007, 10:41
It might be your computer, have you tried this? http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

Sirius
31-08-2007, 10:58
It might be your computer, have you tried this? http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

Was that to me or City Boy

If me I have

Tried Linux, Vista, Xp
No Router, With Router
My system is Spyware free, Virus Free
Fully optimised.

its a Amd 4800 x2 with 2 gig ram 1 gig networks cards on a 1 gig network.

My service is fine after Midnight in the week. My service goes to pot at all other times

chickendippers
31-08-2007, 11:08
Well anyone who isn't getting 20 meg ;)

slowcoach
31-08-2007, 11:14
Speeds are all over the place during the day here in Oldham, some day's it's 19Meg others it's 1/2Meg other days it's anywhere in between, mostly it's somewhere between 4 and 9Meg.

I have never been throttled during the curfew for downloading >3GB as I just use the curfew hours for browsing, but speeds during that time are normally less than I would get if I had been STM'd anyway.

Spot on 1.30AM the speed jumps to 19Meg as if by magic which proves it is being manipulated by VM ....... unless everyone on my UBR goes to bed at exactly 1.30AM every night of the week.

I just wish I had another viable option, I would be rid of these shysters ASAP.

ntluser
02-09-2007, 08:15
I think this is the major problem. When you connect to the internet you have no idea what speed you will be connecting at as speeds are inconsistent.

I took all the advice given in the timisation post and did get better results but the high speeds were only achieved at parts of the day not all the time.

Even the Cableforum speed test demonstrates the difference in speed from second to second.

What VM customers want is consistent high speed i.e. at 20mb.

It will be interesting to see what Ofcom make of it all.

themelon
02-09-2007, 09:41
What VM customers want is consistent high speed i.e. at 20mb.

It will be interesting to see what Ofcom make of it all.

What customers of all ISPs want is a speed near that advertised. It will be interesting to see what OFCOM say. The speed advertised by ISPs should be the speed more than 75% of its customers get, currently the sppeds advertised about 1 to 5% of people can get.

slowcoach
02-09-2007, 10:13
Things definitely changed with the roll out of the 20Meg service, previously I could get 10Meg from sites I visit in the UK and Ireland, sites in Europe and America were pretty dire and Australia, well you could forget Australia it was that slow.

With the 20Meg the same sites in the UK and Ireland are slower than previously yet downloads from Europe, America and Australia are much faster, in fact, there are two sites which I download from at a consistent 19Meg, one is situated in Brazil and the other is in Croatia for crying out loud, that of course is on the days that my speed isn't being reduced to a crawl by the VM software being trialled. :grind:

xspeedyx
03-09-2007, 19:28
best speedtest is using gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk

XFS03
03-09-2007, 21:37
...it also runs on GMT, we at the moment are in BST(british summertime)...
Are you sure about this? There's no mention on the VM website that times are GMT.