PDA

View Full Version : Wireless to my NTL STB

vickybailey
30-08-2007, 10:40
Hi. I have just bought my mother in law a new wireless laptop. I have tested the wireless connection at home. This is NTL cable from wall >> ntl blue cable modem >> belkin wireless router>> It worked fine.

My in laws currently have a desk top - that has broadband via an NTL STB.

I put the USB connection that went into the back of their pc into the laptop and it worked fine. However, I had problems getting the wireless to work.

I took my belkin router and plugged it in via the ethernet cable to the back of the STB. The laptop did establish a wireless connection - but the belkin router internet light just flashed and did not go constant - and I couldn't get on the net. So near, and yet so far! Has anyone got any ideas?? I keep reading about registering the router with ntl - but am not sure what this means and if this will help!

Cheers, novice - Vicky

Paul K
30-08-2007, 10:53
If you are adding any equipment onto the modem connection you need to power off the modem, PC and router while you are changing the device connections and then power up the modem, wait for lights to lock, power up the router, wait for lights to settle and then power up the PC/ laptop.

vickybailey
30-08-2007, 11:04
I must admit I didnt take down the STB power - will try it. God I hope it's that simple! Thanks, Vicky

Aragorn
30-08-2007, 11:04
Vicky,

:welcome: to CF

When plugging a new device into an STB, via ethernet, it has to be registered within the STB. Have a read of this (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg). Basically, connect to the router via wireless and the browse to
start.ntl

MovedGoalPosts
30-08-2007, 11:44
With the STB you'll find you have to register the router as a new computer (device) on the ntl server. The prompt for that should be automatic once you have rebooted the STB and connected the router and try to browse any internet site - you'll need the PID and password originally supplie by ntl to your in laws. It's easiest to set this all up wired via the router, then add the wireless stuff.

Matth
31-08-2007, 20:32
I would ALWAYS have the router clone the MAC (ethernet hardware) address of the primary PC, that way you CAN swap them directly when required - makes things a lot easier, if you have to remove the router for faultfinding.