PDA

View Full Version : NTL, IP Problem

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 08:41
Hello, I am Using NTL Modem and Also Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router, I am Using 2 Computers...1 Computer Is Using The (Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router) and the Other Computer Is On Cable To The NTL Modem, I Try and Unplug my NTL Modem And Wait 30 Min - 1 Hour, And my IP Should Change, But Now its Not Changing, It Hasant Changed in About 6 Mounths Its Been the SAME Ip for over 6 Mounths And i Was Thinking it Should of Changed By Now. I Was Thinking About Ringing NTL Up and Asking Them. To change it For me Or Give me Some idia's How to Change it. Also i Was Thinking About Since NTL As Changed With Virgin Media Maybee They have Changed A Few Stuff Becouse When it Was NTL. a While Back i Used To Just turn off My NTL Modem And my IP Changes If not NTL Changes it For me Randomly. But If any of You People Can Help me Change My IP That Would be Great Or Just Give me a Few Idia's To Try :)

Thanks People :)

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 08:58
What is so important about your IP changing?

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 09:03
I Am just Saying it hasant Changed in a While (6 Mounths + ), And also Alot of People See MY IP, so i Just Want it Changed But Im Having Problems Changing It :(

Paul K
30-08-2007, 09:09
Your caps key seems to keep sticking ;) Your IP may not change for ages and sometimes the only way to get a new one is to change the MAC address that is being seen by the modem/UBR etc. Unplugging the modem for more than 12 hours may work but it depends if your old IP address is still in the IP pool when you plug back in.

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 09:09
I had the same IP for 18 months, didn't bother me a bit, it only changed when i swapped routers.

Are you trying to get round a ban or other restriction somewhere?

Toto
30-08-2007, 09:31
Also consider the point that if you rarely get a new IP address to your modem, then that indicates an under-utilised uBR, which can be good news from a technical point of view, such as consistent BB speeds. :)

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 09:40
Thanks for the Replys, Ermm..Well Left it off for 5 Days Becouse i was on Holiday And i came back and i was Hoping it Had changed My Ip but it Was the Same IP, Once i had alook. Also, If I Go to my Netgear Settings (http://192.168.0.1) I can change My Mac Address BUT I dont no What to Replace it With :$, and also I Am not banned from Alot of Sites But my Brother users This computer and He Goes In Chatrooms And Stuff Were Chatmasters Can see MY IP, And also Goes on Sites that other users Can see The IP I would really Want a Dynamic IP that would be Great But i Like NTL But its just not changing My Ip :(

dontpannic
30-08-2007, 09:41
The only reason I can think of someone desperately wanting a new IP is that they have done something illegal and the IP has been logged...? The IP shouldn't change very regularly on NTL/VM connections.

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 09:46
The only reason I can think of someone desperately wanting a new IP is that they have done something illegal and the IP has been logged...? The IP shouldn't change very regularly on NTL/VM connections.

No its Not that its Just Like i Said Alot of People See MY IP, And Them people Maybee Hackers/Crackers, Or w/e I Just dont Like people Seing My IP LOL! they Could do Anythink, Thats why I want my IP to Change Becouse i bet Millions of People have seen my IP and also i post alot in forums and that Can also See my IP, I Could just go Proxy But i dont See the Point in That... but i was Just thinking if u guys could help me some How change it, Like what is the Best Way to change it :rolleyes:

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 09:50
If your modem was off for 5 days and your IP didn't change, then you appear to be stuck.

Every site you (or your brother) visit will log the IP used for that visit, changing your IP will not change that fact, so after a few weeks you will be back to square one, what then.

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

I have been thinking the same thing.

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

No its Not that its Just Like i Said Alot of People See MY IP, And Them people Maybee Hackers/Crackers, Or w/e I Just dont Like people Seing My IP LOL! they Could do Anythink, Thats why I want my IP to Change Becouse i bet Millions of People have seen my IP and also i post alot in forums and that Can also See my IP, I Could just go Proxy But i dont See the Point in That... but i was Just thinking if u guys could help me some How change it, Like what is the Best Way to change it :rolleyes:

The only people who have access to site logs are administrators and moderators, they would be the people who would have seen your IP, not the "millions" that you think can.

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 09:56
If Im Stuck, How Do i Get out of it? Lol....It Seems to me Like My Modem is Jammed or sumthink and it wont Change my IP, Becouse if i turn it off for like 5 Days should it change My IP? I Thought it Was becouse since Ntl has gone over to Virgin media a few things have changed so i thought thats why my ip wont change, So how do i fix this problem How Do i get out of it any idia's? :shocked:

Toto
30-08-2007, 10:03
If Im Stuck, How Do i Get out of it? Lol....It Seems to me Like My Modem is Jammed or sumthink and it wont Change my IP, Becouse if i turn it off for like 5 Days should it change My IP? I Thought it Was becouse since Ntl has gone over to Virgin media a few things have changed so i thought thats why my ip wont change, So how do i fix this problem How Do i get out of it any idia's? :shocked:

Your IP address is assigned based on the MAC address of the CPE (Client Premise Equipment) and in this case its your router. The uBR will contain a table with the client MACS and the IP assigned to them, so if the IP address is leased to a client MAC for a period of time, and no other requests for the same IP address are made by another client MAC, then you will get the same IP back.

Changing the router MAC address will give you a new IP address assuming that the old address is still leased.

That said though, if you have a router, and perhaps a software firewall installed on all the PC's connected to it, you should be safe from would be script kiddies just scanning for vulnerable IP address ranges.

bayonet
30-08-2007, 10:14
One thing I picked up from your original post and please slag me off if I'm wrong

Hello, I am Using NTL Modem and Also Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router, I am Using 2 Computers...1 Computer Is Using The (Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router) and the Other Computer Is On Cable To The NTL Modem

How many cables have you got plugged in to the back of the ntl modem? there should only be 3 the power the coax and an ethernet cable

xpod
30-08-2007, 10:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post

I have been thinking the same thing.

oh.....i dont know about that.:)
I can think of one or two legite reasons for wanting/needing to change ip addresses.Just ask all the noobs over on UF who are setting up all kinds of services without the appropriate RTFM first:)

Not everyone uses a router and certainly not everyone has to be doing something illegal to draw attention to their ip addresses.......:)

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 11:20
This is what i have right now...

http://i12.tinypic.com/53htp8w.jpg

&

http://i9.tinypic.com/63ja3y8.jpg

janipewter
30-08-2007, 11:28
If you really have a genuine reason to change your IP address then you just need to change the MAC address of your router, then reboot your modem.

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 11:51
Your IP address is assigned based on the MAC address of the CPE (Client Premise Equipment) and in this case its your router. The uBR will contain a table with the client MACS and the IP assigned to them, so if the IP address is leased to a client MAC for a period of time, and no other requests for the same IP address are made by another client MAC, then you will get the same IP back.

Changing the router MAC address will give you a new IP address assuming that the old address is still leased.

That said though, if you have a router, and perhaps a software firewall installed on all the PC's connected to it, you should be safe from would be script kiddies just scanning for vulnerable IP address ranges.

If you really have a genuine reason to change your IP address then you just need to change the MAC address of your router, then reboot your modem.

I Got an Program To change My Mac Address But It aint changing My IP But I Am using Windows Vista But When i Click Change MAC Address It Cuts my Internet Off and puts it back on And when i go to whatismyip.com Its Still the Same IP? :'(

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/08/1.jpg

Toto
30-08-2007, 11:58
I Got an Program To change My Mac Address But It aint changing My IP But I Am using Windows Vista But When i Click Change MAC Address It Cuts my Internet Off and puts it back on And when i go to whatismyip.com Its Still the Same IP? :'(

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/08/1.jpg

Ermm.....if your router is connected to the CM, and the PC's are connected to the router, its the router MAC address you need to change, as its that device that is being assigned the IP address. The router then assigns local IP addresses to your connected PC's and they then use the router as the Internet Gateway.

Paul K
30-08-2007, 12:02
Change the MAC of the router and power off the modem and reboot it.

die5el
30-08-2007, 12:04
Just use a IP hider plenty on the net try using :google: to find a suitable one

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 12:07
YESSSSSSSSSS! MY IPPPP!!! HAS CHANGED (NOW DONT LOOK) :angel:

Toto
30-08-2007, 12:17
There you go.

janipewter
30-08-2007, 12:17
YESSSSSSSSSS! MY IPPPP!!! HAS CHANGED (NOW DONT LOOK) :angel:

Erm, it's not exactly like anyone but the mods can see it anyway.

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 12:21
WTF, i Plugged in Wireless Netgear router back in and now its gone back to the Same IP :| :@ becouse my dad is using wireless and im using Cable and my Cable wire is the the netgear Router would it help if i took the Wireless thing out the back of my PC, Becouse im not using wireless im on cable

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 12:27
WTF, i Plugged in Wireless Netgear router back in and now its gone back to the Same IP :| :@ becouse my dad is using wireless and im using Cable and my Cable wire is the the netgear Router would it help if i took the Wireless thing out the back of my PC, Becouse im not using wireless im on cable

Are you looking at the IP on your PC, or the IP on the router?

Toto
30-08-2007, 12:34
LOL, I'm leaving this thread.

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 12:41
i unplugged everythink all the wires and everythink and got rid of the Netgear Router and just left it With the Modem. So i would just be on Cable and there Was nothing to do with Wireless There Was nothing there Accept Just the Modem. And it changed my IP, But when i plugged everythink back in (Netgear Wireless router) It went back to the Same IP

Like this (Nothing There Accept the Modem (Cable))

http://i19.tinypic.com/62j110w.jpg

------------------------

(Everythink There Including The Netgeat Router)

Paul K
30-08-2007, 12:47
Maybe while it is just the PC connected you should look at IPCONFIG for the current in use MAC address and then clone that onto the Router.

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 12:50
When you plug your pc directly into the modem, the modem will allocate an ip to your pc.
When you plug your pc into a router, and then the router into the modem, the router will allocate an ip to your pc, and the modem will allocate an ip to your router.

Which is why i asked...

Are you looking at the IP on your PC, or the IP on the router?

jamiefrost
30-08-2007, 12:52
If you have not changed the MAC address of the router it will still be in the UBR logs. As soon as the routers MAC address is seen it will supply the previous IP address.

Connecting you PC directly to the modem gives a diffrent MAC address to the UBR and an new IP address is assigned from the pool of free IP addresses. If you want to get a new IP address with the router connected change it's MAC address or use the clone feature to clone the MAC address of your PC.

JJ

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 13:12
When you plug your pc directly into the modem, the modem will allocate an ip to your pc.
When you plug your pc into a router, and then the router into the modem, the router will allocate an ip to your pc, and the modem will allocate an ip to your router.

Which is why i asked...

Im looking at the Ip On www.Whatismyip.com

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 13:21
Im looking at the Ip On www.Whatismyip.com

OK.

You need to tell your router to clone your pc's mac code, you should then get the same ip as was allocated when you connected the pc directly to your router.

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 13:26
OK.

You need to tell your router to clone your pc's mac code,

How??? :( :(

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 13:32
How??? :( :(

Dig out the manual that came with the WGR614, it should explain how.

Srchasst
30-08-2007, 13:44
Anyware on Here??

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:1xbZ_GhHfhkJ:www.engin.umich.edu/labs/EAST/%40home/Project/Wireless/wgr614v5_ref_manual.pdf+manual+WGR614&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 14:32
Anyware on Here??

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:1xbZ_GhHfhkJ:www.engin.umich.edu/labs/EAST/%40home/Project/Wireless/wgr614v5_ref_manual.pdf+manual+WGR614&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Yes it is.....

However an easier to read version is at ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgr614v5_ref_manual.pdf

Start at page 3-13, below the images.

bayonet
30-08-2007, 18:40
That looks fine what happens if you plug the modem in direct to the PC what IP do you get

Srchasst
03-09-2007, 06:46
Hello, I ave found Sumthing out, In The other Room i have 1 NTL Modem And 1 wireless Netgear Router, But my dad is on wireless and im on Cable But i dont want to be on wireless but my Dad does So the netgear wire is into the NTL Modem and my Cable wire Goes into the Netgear router That meens My IP wont change, But if i Take the Netgear wire out the Ntl Modem and put my Ntl Cable From my PC Into the NTL Modem My ip will be diffrent. But that meens my Dad wont have no connection to the Netgear Router. So i was thinking of getting 2 NTL Modems some How but i dont no If i am Aloud 2 NTL Modems. Becouse if i use 2 NTL Modems i can have The NTL Cable from my PC Going Straight Into the NTL Modem. And my Dad Can have a NTL Modem Aswell Plus The Wire Going Straight Into the Netgear Router So then he Can connect By wireless and then i wont have Any trouble and MY IP will Change Straight Away. But If you Thnik what is the Best Idia For me to Do Please Let me Know I would just Like My Own NTL Modem But Then Were would my Dads Netgear Wire Go for him to Go on Wireless? If u have Any idea's Let me Know Thanks,

I also have 2 Pics of the NTL Modem and the Wireless Netgear Router!
The One with the Red Arrow Is My NTL Cable! and As u Can see its Going into the Netgear Router!

http://i16.tinypic.com/61xt5bb.jpg

This is what It looks Like right Now!

jamiefrost
03-09-2007, 08:47
ONly way to get a seconf modem is with anoth BB account (but I don't think you are allowed 2 BB accounts at the same address, someone will be able to confirm either way).

As explained earlier, you get a different IP address by plugging your PC in directly because your PC has a different MAC address to your router. All you have to do is clone the MAC address of your PC and the router will be given the same IP address as your PC when you connect it directly to the modem

JJ

Srchasst
03-09-2007, 08:57
I %100 dont no how to clone it.. :(

Is this it? : - http://pccitizen.com/clone%20MAC.htm

Graham M
03-09-2007, 08:59
Oh well never mind

amateurfool
03-09-2007, 12:46
I %100 dont no how to clone it.. :(

Did you look at the manual like i suggested?

Srchasst
03-09-2007, 14:01
Yeah, but i carnt find Were it tells me How to clone it.

amateurfool
03-09-2007, 14:33
Yeah, but i carnt find Were it tells me How to clone it.

I gave you everything down to the relevent page in the manual, how much more information do you need :rolleyes:

Yes it is.....

However an easier to read version is at ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgr614v5_ref_manual.pdf

Start at page 3-13, below the images.

Srchasst
03-09-2007, 15:48
I gave you everything down to the relevent page in the manual, how much more information do you need :rolleyes:

i must have Adobe Reader and i dont want to download it My pc is Going slow At the Moment. Need to delete a Few stuff ;P

fatassmichael
03-09-2007, 17:03
Foxit reader, IMO, is much better than adobe, smaller and faster.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/down_reader.htm

Srchasst
04-09-2007, 01:15

Which Page is it On Becouse i Carnt Find the MAC Glone Lol. :erm:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/57.jpg

cimt
04-09-2007, 02:03
Which Page is it On Becouse i Carnt Find the MAC Glone Lol. :erm:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/57.jpg

"Start at page 3-13, below the images."

I think that's a big clue of where to look?

amateurfool
04-09-2007, 11:39
"Start at page 3-13, below the images."

I think that's a big clue of where to look?

:handshake

Thanks, saves me having to say it for a 3rd time.:shocked:

broadbandbug
04-09-2007, 13:32

Virgin Media have moved to 7 day lease of IP Address.. So you would have to leave your modem off for 7 days before you are likely to get a different IP.