PDA

View Full Version : Broadband meltdown

manic1790
29-08-2007, 18:06
Ok long story short;

I am helping a friend with a wireless network, mine took me 10 mins, then I discover NTL...This has been four days on & off. Do we have a wireless network no! Do we even have his orginal USB based Internet connection no!

Now the nic instaled works ok the cables work ok, however, the modem does not recognise the nic, it does recognise the USB, but the USB drivers are scrambled. This is driving me nuts. I build computers, even write code if I have to, but this is getting beyond me.

Any help or advice would be gratefuly received.

jamiefrost
29-08-2007, 18:16
Have you cycled the modem power to get it to recognise a new mac address.

JJ

manic1790
29-08-2007, 18:21
Cycling the modem power & shouting rude words are my latest hobbies lol.

amateurfool
30-08-2007, 09:20
I take it the pc can talk to the wireless router ok.

Which model wireless router is it.

jamiefrost
30-08-2007, 09:54
What ip address is being assigned to the nic (external 80.??? i think) or is it a 169.??? address, or if you connect the router to the modem does the wan address for the router and the DNS settings get assigned?

JJ

manic1790
30-08-2007, 15:43
Hello,

yes the computer does recognise the router which is connected via a nic instaled specificaly for that purpose. However the NTL cable modem does not recognise the ethernet connection.

The router is an Addon WBR9200. Any insights you might have will be gratefully received.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Hello jamiefrost,

The address is 169. ending in 254. One of my difficulties with this system is being divorced from it by 7 miles or so.

At the moment I would just like to re-install the USB connection from the cable modem to the computer to get my friends internet connection running again.

I would rather get the connection running via the nic, but the cable modem refuses to recognise the nic. any insights will be appreciated.

I personally think that the cable modem is at fault. If I could pick up a compatible device from PC World (necessary evil lol) I could try a 'new' one.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Regards

Tony.

NTLVictim
31-08-2007, 08:11
169.x.x.x addresses are given automatically by Windows in case you don't receive a correct IP address. This can happen when your network card is not working properly.

Edit; , you could try moving your cable to a different port on the router. Ports don't go bad very often, but it is a possibility.

LaineY
07-09-2007, 11:11
well... i see this on a regular occasion.. and my answer to this would be..

if you are connected to the modem and get a 169 ip...then the nic card is already registered on the network.. therefor you have a cloned nic card...

if you get online no problem connected to the router.. thats because it does not use the macc address of you're Network card it uses the routers...

however if you get a 192 through a router.. but a 169 directly through the modem.. the answer is buy a new nic if you want it "plugged directly into the modem"

if you get a constant 169 ip through all devices then the most likely causes would be faulty NIC Drivers or a Faulty NIC Card...

jamiefrost
07-09-2007, 12:17
If you are getting a non 169 (192... from router or 80... from modem) ip address at anytime I would say the fault does not lay with the nic. If all you get is a 169 address connected to the modem or router I would swap the nic for a new one. Assuming you have tried the latest drivers for the card.

If router WAN port is being assigned a 80.. address the modem is ok. If the router does not get assigned a external ip address I would say the modem is at fault.

The PC should get assigned an IP address by the router even if the router is not connected to the modem. The PC should be set automtic IP and DNS settings in the network configuration.

J

LaineY
07-09-2007, 12:59
:( stole my thunder