PDA

View Full Version : Some sucess, I think?

ollie2001
29-08-2007, 12:36
I've written 3 letters of complaint to Virgin Media. The first saying the speeds were crap and I wanted someone to ring me to arrange an engineer visit. I got a reply to that saying "here's 20 quid off ya bill". So I wrote one back saying "thanks but I still want it fixed!". Didn't hear anything back at all for about 3 weeks, so wrote another (including my previous letters) saying I was disgusted that no one has contacted me blah blah blah...

This morning I get a call from customer service saying how sorry they were about my speeds etc, here's half price broadband for 3 months (20mb) and she connected me to Tech support (thought they couldn't do that?! ;)) and I went through my probs with him (someone in the UK woohoo!). Told him I'm only getting between 5-10mb speeds and he told me to go into safe mode and download a file from microsoft, which was only downloading at 500kb/sec.

I mentioned to him about my poor signal levels (-10dbvm down and 57db up) and he said he'd get second line support to look into it and give me a bell.

What's the betting I don't hear anything! But still, made me feel there's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel...

For all those having speed issues, go the old fashioned way and write a letter, at the very least you get some money out of it!

DiscoStu
29-08-2007, 12:39
Nice one! I got the same result (half price for 3 months) after phoning customer services - I would encourage anyone that is suffering since the 'upgrade' to do the same.

wafer_style
29-08-2007, 12:45
do not take it as an offence but when u said "(someone in the UK woohoo!)" and did not get any help , I would liek to give u a humble advise : "Call up technical support or Customer services to get your issues resolved and not to sort out people by the color of their skin ).

ollie2001
29-08-2007, 12:49
do not take it as an offence but when u said "(someone in the UK woohoo!)" and did not get any help , I would liek to give u a humble advise : "Call up technical support or Customer services to get your issues resolved and not to sort out people by the color of their skin ).

Someone in the UK might be Pakistani or Indian or whatever, the fact that I could understand what they were saying and they wern't talking from a script is what I was "woohoo"ing about!

wafer_style
29-08-2007, 12:57
thanks for explaining ..... :) Can you provide the MAC ADDRESS of your cable modem ...
lemme take a look !!

ollie2001
29-08-2007, 12:59
thanks for explaining ..... :) Can you provide the MAC ADDRESS of your cable modem ...
lemme take a look !!

No offence, but surely giving out my MAC code on a public forum isn't such a hot idea? Especially with all the cloning going around...sorry!

ikthius
29-08-2007, 14:38
lemme take a look !!

thats a bit cheeky isn't it?

who are you, have the mods vetted you as a worker that can help?

ik

punky
29-08-2007, 15:00
For your security, under no circumstances should MAC addresses be given to users who aren't confirmed Virgin Media staff.

wafer_style is NOT confirmed as VM staff.

r00t
29-08-2007, 15:07
Though you can give it to me and I'll check your modem and uBR :)

punky
29-08-2007, 15:12
I can confirm r00t is VM staff :)

ollie2001
29-08-2007, 15:30
Thanks guys, r00t has PM ;)

xspeedyx
29-08-2007, 15:55
its a shame it comes down to this

ollie2001
29-08-2007, 16:02
its a shame it comes down to this

Down to what mate?

xspeedyx
29-08-2007, 16:24
a company cnt provide good support for the customers and you have to come to a forum to get help

nicke261192
29-08-2007, 16:51
What they should do at virgin media call centres in the uk is make sure that they can speak clearly asian or not. I have often phoned up virgin media uk call centres and i cant understand a single word they are saying! Once i got this women from Newcastle and her accent was so strong i couldnt get a word!

xspeedyx
29-08-2007, 20:11
what gets me if lots of companies are bringing the call centres back to the uk why do vm keep the indian call centres there

ollie2001
29-08-2007, 20:24
what gets me if lots of companies are bringing the call centres back to the uk why do vm keep the indian call centres there

Because it's cheaper?

Also, unlike banks and insurers who have lots of competition and having a UK call centre is a "bonus", cable only have 1 competitor, sky :(

Not sure if Sky have their call centre abroad also?

alferret
29-08-2007, 22:00
SNIP!!!

Not sure if Sky have their call centre abroad also?

Yea its in Scotland :p::o:;):):D

Web-Junkie
29-08-2007, 22:15
Is there a list of Confirmed VM Staff that it's OK to send your details too if they are asked for? Just wondering who has been vetted to receive personal info on the forum.

Is there a sticky with this info in as I can't seem to find one or I'm blind :erm:

xspeedyx
29-08-2007, 23:03
That might be a big mistake if you did that becuase vm might not be to happy if they knew who the person was

punky
29-08-2007, 23:07
Is there a list of Confirmed VM Staff that it's OK to send your details too if they are asked for? Just wondering who has been vetted to receive personal info on the forum.

Is there a sticky with this info in as I can't seem to find one or I'm blind :erm:

We don't publish those details as it can lead to them getting unsolicitated PMs asking them to resolve problems. Instead, its up to the staff members themselves whether they would want to reveal the jobs.

xpod
29-08-2007, 23:13
That might be a big mistake if you did that becuase vm might not be to happy if they knew who the person was

Are you saying VM would not be happy to know that any members of their staff were receiving customers details on here????

Yea its in Scotland

They must be happy customers then because everytime i get a fellow Scot on the phone here the query/issue/problem has been resolved with a minimum of fuss...

No surprises there of course:D

EDIT:...ok, i see

v0id
29-08-2007, 23:18
For your security, under no circumstances should MAC addresses be given to users who aren't confirmed Virgin Media staff.

wafer_style is NOT confirmed as VM staff.

What is it with this guy. In almost every thread they've posted in, they've ask for cable modem mac addresses :confused:

cybernetic_tiger
29-08-2007, 23:35
Just to add if the guy was a VM employee then he/she wouldn't need the MAC from the modem, just the surname and postcode. I never give my MAC address out to anyone.

Web-Junkie
30-08-2007, 00:18
Understood about the need to keep VM staff idents hidden, if in doubt PM a mod then :)

fatassmichael
30-08-2007, 00:38
What is it with this guy. In almost every thread they've posted in, they've ask for cable modem mac addresses :confused:

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

xspeedyx
30-08-2007, 09:04
I dont think surname is that good I would say thye should need your house number and postcode

punky
30-08-2007, 09:05
Why not account number? Its only one piece of information, identifies the account and is completely meaningless to people outside VM?

v0id
30-08-2007, 15:30
Why not account number? Its only one piece of information, identifies the account and is completely meaningless to people outside VM?

Which is why VM recommend not giving it out on the newsgroups?
All they ask for is a blueyonder alias, or an ntl username

punky
30-08-2007, 15:38
Which is why VM recommend not giving it out on the newsgroups?
All they ask for is a blueyonder alias, or an ntl username

I wouldn't just give out all my account numbers to people, but a VM account number is pretty useless without a name or address, i'd think... Like a bank account number is useless without the sort code. But considering both are on the bottom of every cheque I write anyway...

ollie2001
03-09-2007, 14:57
Just to post an update. As reccommended by others, I posted in the VM Support news group on their newsgroup server.

Had a reply very shortly saying my signal levels were out and needed a tech visit. Got one booked tomorrow morning between 8-12 :D One happy bunny! Not sure if it will fix my speeds, but its a start.

r00t
03-09-2007, 18:45
Just to post an update. As reccommended by others, I posted in the VM Support news group on their newsgroup server.

Had a reply very shortly saying my signal levels were out and needed a tech visit. Got one booked tomorrow morning between 8-12 :D One happy bunny! Not sure if it will fix my speeds, but its a start.

:tu: ;)

ollie2001
09-09-2007, 10:26
Another update for you all...

So, got a tech out on Tuesday. Confirms my signal levels are pretty crap. Goes out to check the Ped in the street, comes back and says that some components in the Ped need replacing and should be done that day by the network team.

3 Days go by and my levels are exactly the same, repost in the VM support group stating that and they confirmed that any work that needed to be done has already been done. Roll on tech visit number 2.

He turned up yesterday morning, also confirmed my levels were off. Went and checked the ped, confirmed no work was done on it but said that no work needed to be done on it as the levels were fine at the ped.

He's booked me in on Wednesday to have a HDU fitted, as at the moment I have a splitter downstairs and a splitter upstairs, so the HDU would replace the 2 splitters and feed my V+, STB and modem all indepently without any signal loss. So I'm hoping to get around 8dbmv back! Which should push my downstream level back up to around -5 instead of -13.

Wouldn't of minded a repull as well, but if it's still crummy after the HDU, I'm guessing thats the only path left!

Will post back after wednesday!

EDIT: Oh, also, the tech told me off for logging into the modem to check my signal levels. He said its helped me this time, but you can do some real damage by logging into them. I said the VM techs on their newsgroup had told me to log in to it, but he still insisted I shouldn't of been in there, "that's why it has a password on it". He said in future, just don't let any visiting techs see you in there...

ECW_Original
09-09-2007, 10:47
I have also been told off by using the cable modem page, but if we didnt have access to this, most of the time we wouldnt know if our levels were ok or what-not..

And if they dont want us looking at it, change the login details and DONT SHOW THEM on the login page!

REAL DAMAGE: what a load of twaddle, maybe if there was actually some options you could mess around with and change then yes it might cause a bit of damage, but to me, that statement it a load of rubbish, plain & simple!

ollie2001
09-09-2007, 11:17
I think the older modems you could change things? But these 255's, all you can do is wipe the event log!

saabmania2
09-09-2007, 11:39
I think the older modems you could change things? But these 255's, all you can do is wipe the event log!

Yes it is a complete load of Poo there is no damage that can be done to the 255 in the modem page, probably comes down to the fact the tech doesn't want you to know as much as he does, or more in the case of some:p: (not nedkelly and a few others on here though there the good techs:angel:) thought i better get that in quickly!!! lol;)