PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection to my PS3

Cunni
29-08-2007, 00:05
Hi guys, first time here :)

Just wana ask a question. ok, Awhile ago, i got telewest out to install Broadband for my pc which is downstairs. Now, the telewest guy said that he had to disconnect the Cable connection from my room (upstairs) and connect it to my PC (or something) so i would get broadband.

So i had to give up my Cable viewing from my room to get Broadband, basicly.

Well, now, ive saved up enough money to buy myself a PS3, only problem is, i want an Online connection to go with my new console.

The old Cable wire is still in my room, but i dont know it if can connect to my PS3, or even if it is live.

If i cant get a cable connection to my room upstairs, would a wireless Modem downstairs next to my PC send a good, strong signal upto my room for my PS3?

And just one more thing, was the Telewest guy just being very lazy having to disconnect my Cable connection to my room? Could he just have added a new Cable for my broadband?

Thanks guys, take care.

twinkle
29-08-2007, 01:07
have ntl 20 meg .went to pc world ,bought this one

belkin
wireless g router
F507230-4
not a problem yet .all is very good if i had to vote
if only ps3 would allow a split of me ntl 20 without the wireless router .who knows !pm if needs be

MikeyB
29-08-2007, 07:37
The old Cable wire is still in my room, but i dont know it if can connect to my PS3, or even if it is live.

Even if the cable was still live, you can't just connect your PS3 to it, you'd need another cable modem from Virgin, which I would guess they'd then charge you for two internet accounts each month.

A wireless router would be the way to go
This one comes recommended, and it's the one I have:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/product/LINKSYS/WRT54GSUK/250537
(yes I know it's a link to PC World but it's on special, use collect in store and you pay the Web price and no P&P)

I have it next to the PC upstairs, and the signal is fine for the Wii downstairs.

Cunni
29-08-2007, 13:16
little bump

And, for a wireless router, do i need any special connections for my ps3 or pc?

janipewter
29-08-2007, 13:43
Your PC would need a wireless network adapter or card, but if the router is right next to it then you're best off leaving it wired. The PS3 has a wireless network card built into it I believe you won't have to buy anything for that.

Cunni
29-08-2007, 15:51
[QUOTE=janipewter;34385792]Your PC would need a wireless network adapter or card, but if the router is right next to it then you're best off leaving it wired. The PS3 has a wireless network card built into it I believe you won't have to buy anything for that.[/QU

Yeh but thats the whole problem, my connection with my PC is fine, its just my PS3.