PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ Upgrade

brian@robertsb43
28-08-2007, 14:24
I am in the process of having SKY+ installed (this Friday) and wondered if it is possible to still use my old SKY box and old viewing card at my holiday home . At present I just take the ordinary SKY box and card with me - obviously I have the SKY dish with one cable already there .

Do SKY deactivate the old viewing card ?

Thanks for any advice you are able to give me .

Brian R

southwell
28-08-2007, 14:37
i doubt you could do that. We just had Sky+ installed and had our old box moved upstairs, cost another £10 a month for multiroom, if you did that you could still take it but have the added extra box somewhere else??

Alanmelon
28-08-2007, 14:55
When I recently had Sky+ installed they didn't provide a new viewing card. I think they'll transfer your existing one to the new box unless you get multi-room.

zing_deleted
28-08-2007, 15:12
If they do just unhook your sky plus box and take that with you. You may need a dual or quad lnb and a second cable fitted to your dish at caravan site but it will work as a single tuner as is

Shaun
29-08-2007, 09:09
They should give you a new card and box.

The old card will default to a free view card and the new one will contain all your viewing data (assuming you're not going for multi room).

You can move your old Sky box to your holiday home permanently and take your old card with it. this will give you a load of free channels. You can also take your new card and put it in when you get there and you will get your normal 6 (or 2/4) mix channels but you wont get any premium channels (movies, sport, PPV) as these are only available with the card is in it's paired box.

I know this works as my old box is in the kitchen with a free view card so I can watch the news and stuff when cooking but if I want to watch something on Sky One for instance I need to borrow the card from my Sky+ box.

If you've gone for multi room then you're going to need to keep both boxes plugged into the same phone line as they phone home occasionally to tell sky where they are (they know from the CLI on the line) to stop you giving one to friends or family for a discount second subscription.

Sounds like you'll be able to do what you want though - just take the card and not the whole box.

Also just to mention - your sky+ won't tape anything while you've borrowed it's card (or if it does you'll not be able to play it back) so if you intend to tape stuff while you're away you'll need to leave the card. :)

southwell
29-08-2007, 09:13
If they do just unhook your sky plus box and take that with you. You may need a dual or quad lnb and a second cable fitted to your dish at caravan site but it will work as a single tuner as is

I plugged my mates old sky+ box into a single input and it picked up everything except sky sports as the card wasn't registered to the box. I think it should work fine unless you want to be recording something while in your caravan.

tick
29-08-2007, 22:50
i had this installed last week .
And had old box in bedroom it cost £10 a month for same channels on new box
>
they run a new cable to the room as well .