PDA

View Full Version : Disconnects / New Modem / Upstream Power

Boet
28-08-2007, 13:14
Hi all,

Over the weekend I had particularly bad connectivity, with it being out pretty much the entire day on Sunday and connecting and losing the connection after a minute or 2 most of the day on Monday. I called Tech Support (on Sunday) who sent someone round. They came this morning and just swapped out my old Terayon modem for a new small black Virgin Media branded one (says NTL:250 underneath and 255). They didn't do any tests on anything pretty much came straight in, attached new modem said the old one was no good on the VM network and to start up in 20-30 mins and you'll be fine then left.

Anyway, since then I have had a couple of disconnects within the first hour or so of having the new modem but nothing so far since. The power levels are listed below and the upstream power looks pretty bad to me from what I have read here. I didn't know whether or not the couple of early disconnects were just something to do with my modem "settling in" or whether the modem isn't likely to have been the main cause of my problems and it was the power level.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.3 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 33584000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 61.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Do these power levels warrant a call back to tech support for someone to come out to take a proper look ? I obviously don't want to pay for a long support call if the new modem will sort the problem and they are not going to acknowledge it as being an issue their side and reimburse the call. I'm not sure exactly what the range for acceptable upstream power is though the thread at the top of the forum would indicate anything above 55db could be problematic. Todays temperatures are reasonably cool and at this time of day I don't imagine the network is very stressed but I certainly don't want to do nothing if the disconnects / lack of service are going to start up again as soon as anything degrades the return signal slightly. Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Quam256
28-08-2007, 17:19
The upstream level is way to high,it is close to its limit .That is why the connection keeps dropping .When you spoke to them they should have been able to interrogate your modem and get the readings you have put above and seen from that were the problem may lie.

Axegrinder
28-08-2007, 17:40
I had this problem last friday, the upstream randomly shot to 61dbmv, and I kept losing connection, so i decided to leave it for a few hours and came back and it was fine.