PDA

View Full Version : Changing from USB to Ethernet

Hirfryn
28-08-2007, 11:29
My main PC connects to the ntl:home 200 modem by ethernet, however my laptop connects via USB.

I don't want to change to wireless connection for both, and wondered how I go about changing my laptop to connect via ethernet. Is it just a matter of plugging the ethernet cable into the PC instead of using the USB or do I have to do something else before connecting?

Raistlin
28-08-2007, 11:35
The following will allow you to use your laptop via Ethernet, note though that you can only have one pc connected at a time so you will need to unplug the Ethernet connection to the main PC first.

1. Turn off modem (unplug from mains)
2. Turn off laptop
3. Unplug USB cable from both
4. Plug Ethernet cable into both
5. Turn on modem
6. Wait for lights to settle (5 minutes, gives you time for a cuppa)
7. Turn on laptop
8. All should now be ok

Unless, of course, you meant that you want to plug your laptop into your PC and share the connection that way? If that was what you meant then I think you need to look into Internet Connection Sharing, but I'm not sure if/how well that works.

Otherwise, you could have both connected to the modem at the same time, but you would need to connect them through a networking switch or a router.

If the above isn't what you want then just clarify and I'm sure we can help sort it out :)

Agent47
28-08-2007, 11:36
6. Wait for lights to settle (5 minutes, gives you time for a cuppa)

Or a beer. :)

gaffer_gump
28-08-2007, 11:37
You will have to power down the modem 1st, then plug the ethernet cable into the laptop, power the modem back up and wait for the RDY light to hold steady, then turn the laptop on..

It's as easy as that..

When you plug the ethernet cable back into the pc you will have to repeat the off / on again.

EDIT.....

Help is like buses here...

goldoni
28-08-2007, 12:27
Unless, of course, you meant that you want to plug your laptop into your PC and share the connection that way? If that was what you meant then I think you need to look into Internet Connection Sharing, but I'm not sure if/how well that works.

Internet connection sharing works ok and this would also means you can swap files around. The down side the main computer ie: the one with the cable modem plugged in would need to have power on and have a second NIC fitted (NIC = network interface card) costing from £9 to 20 for a good 10/100 NIC

To be honest as you have two computers why not go for a Belkin G wireless router at about £29 to £39 then you can go wireless on your laptop and wired on your computer or just plug both computers in to the Wifi Router via rj45 cable (network cable).

Up side any computer will have internet access and you will have the added protection of a NAT firewall plus if both laptop and computer are powered on you can swap files.

Hope this helps

Hirfryn
28-08-2007, 20:22
Many thanks for all the advice. Didn't realise I would have to power down the modem to switch from PC to laptop and vice versa using ethernet - food for thought from Goldoni.

Ben B
28-08-2007, 20:54
when i changed from usb to ethernet on my computer i had to enter my PID number and password to connect. but i get my broadband through the set top box so it must be different for me

slowcoach
28-08-2007, 21:15
when i changed from usb to ethernet on my computer i had to enter my PID number and password to connect. but i get my broadband through the set top box so it must be different for me
The stand alone modems hold the information so once it is registered you never have to worry about it again.

goldoni
29-08-2007, 09:50
Many thanks for all the advice. Didn't realise I would have to power down the modem to switch from PC to laptop and vice versa using ethernet - food for thought from Goldoni.

Don’t quote me on this as while I am an qualified engineer, only with gas :doh:. I know nothing apart from the things I have learnt ;)