PDA

View Full Version : are these guys worth the money ?

tweetypie/8
27-08-2007, 11:52
[SIZE="3"]hi i am refering to premier league footballers,imo i dont see how can you justifiy paying a guy £150.000 a week for kicking a ball round a pitch :redcard:[/i think they are overpaid prima donnas,also they cant take a thump without rolling about as if in agony get stretchered off and then back on their feet in two minutes,who do they think they are kidding :rolleyes: take rugby and gaelic players very few sissies there im sure these comments apply to other leagues and countries well thats all of my chest it was bugging me :DSIZE]

TheBlueRaja
27-08-2007, 12:02
Yes.

gazzae
27-08-2007, 12:02
Very few players, if any, get paid £150,000 a week. The average wage in the premiership is £13,000 a week.

Are they worth it? They provide entertainment so they are worth it as much as movie stars / musicians are.

lostandconfused
27-08-2007, 12:55
IMO no they're not, but it's all to do with supply and demand, if there were loads of people that could do the job aswell as they could then they wouldnt be getting paid as much.

Raistlin
27-08-2007, 12:58
Short answer, no.

peanut
27-08-2007, 13:02
No !!!!!!!

TheDaddy
27-08-2007, 13:11
Very few players, if any, get paid £150,000 a week. The average wage in the premiership is £13,000 a week.

Are they worth it? They provide entertainment so they are worth it as much as movie stars / musicians are.

and of course they only get paid what people are prepared to pay them, should they turn the money down on principal? Actually even that isn't unheard of, players sign for clubs all the time for less money than they could earn elsewhere and one in particular Kiko, played for a £1 a week when his team, Athletico Madrid, got relegated a few years back

Anonymouse
27-08-2007, 13:31
Oh, come on! No-one, NO-ONE on this planet should be paid more in a week than most people get in a year just for kicking a bloody ball around a field! How many nurses, teachers, youth clubs, hospitals, police, research facilities - things we actually need, in other words - could be paid for with the hundreds of millions of pounds that are wasted - wasted, I say - on those idiots every week?

I do a job that would probably kill any of those wusses inside of a month - shifting, through entirely manual labour, items classed as Heavy Goods. And when it says heavy, I'm not talking PCs or bags of spuds or books, I'm talking flatpack, built-up furniture, leather 3-piece suites, American-style (i.e. bloody big!) fridge freezers, washers and the like. Some of this stuff weighs more than I do - and I'm pushing 13 stone at the moment with very little of it body fat, so that gives you some idea.

Handling equipment? Don't make me laugh. Well, apart from pallet trucks - and some of the pallets we have to wheel around the warehouse weigh more than a ton with all the flatpack piled on them. But the stuff has to be put away on shelves, and how's that done? By hand, that's how - and a piece of flatpack can weigh 30, 40, 50, even 60kg!

These bloody footballers don't know they're born. A decent week's work - real work - would do 'em in. My take-home pay for a 39-hour week is less than £280...and that includes a performance bonus and a 30% shift allowance. No footballer would ever survive on that.

TheDaddy
27-08-2007, 13:41
Oh, come on! No-one, NO-ONE on this planet should be paid more in a week than most people get in a year just for kicking a bloody ball around a field! How many nurses, teachers, youth clubs, hospitals, police, research facilities - things we actually need, in other words - could be paid for with the hundreds of millions of pounds that are wasted - wasted, I say - on those idiots every week?

What about all the businessmen and bankers that earn similar amounts? Do you think clubs give them the money because they feel sorry for them? Football these days is a billion pound a year business and in any business you pay your staff what you think they are worth, how much do you think the business would be worth without them?

Nidge
27-08-2007, 15:10
There is something on the back of one of the papers today about Rhonaldino, Chelsea want him and according to his agent they have been in talks with Chelsea, they will have to buy out the remaining years of his contract which equates to £80 million, they said his wages at Chelsea will dwarf that of John Terry's which is £130,000 a week, he'll be on over £200,000 a week if he signs.

tweetypie/8
27-08-2007, 18:43
There is something on the back of one of the papers today about Rhonaldino, Chelsea want him and according to his agent they have been in talks with Chelsea, they will have to buy out the remaining years of his contract which equates to £80 million, they said his wages at Chelsea will dwarf that of John Terry's which is £130,000 a week, he'll be on over £200,000 a week if he signs.

a good point well said :tu: i will say it again they are a load of whinging,wining,a pain in the you know what:mad:

gaffer_gump
27-08-2007, 19:05
No I never thought they were till I read this (http://money.uk.msn.com/consumer/football-finance/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5951147), it's sod all to do with the person, it's all about saleability of the person..

football player or hooker !!! it's all about selling the goods..

Stuart
27-08-2007, 19:11

Who pays the inflated prices though? Back in the late 70s, a ticket for the average match probably cost are £3. Now, even a cheap ticket in a low-placed team can be £25-30, and for a higher placed team, you may be talking £40 or £50. Add the cost of the concessions (food, drink, clothing if you have kids), and you could easily be talking about >£100 a match.

If people are happy paying that kind of money for 90 minutes of entertainment, fine.

While Musicians and Movie stars get paid similar amounts, you have to bear in mind that the potential market for those people is far larger, simply because they don't only perform once a week.

gazzae
27-08-2007, 19:55
It always seems to be footballers who get it though. You don't often hear about people slagging tennis players for earning all that money for hitting a ball over a net or golfers for hitting a ball round a course.

Anonymouse
27-08-2007, 21:00
What about all the businessmen and bankers that earn similar amounts?
Good point. No, I don't think most of them deserve such amounts, either. There's no need for anyone, really, to be paid so much for anything.
It always seems to be footballers who get it though. You don't often hear about people slagging tennis players for earning all that money for hitting a ball over a net or golfers for hitting a ball round a course.
Another good point. The same applies; why, exactly, are they paid so much? If they were rescuing people, finding cures for diseases or doing anything about our current social problems, then maybe. But otherwise, no.

Stuart
27-08-2007, 21:30

How many players of other sports earn over £10,000 a week and don't have to pay for their own training facilities? How many earn over £100,000 a week? I bet it's less than the number of football players.

In fact the only sport (played in this country) that I can think of where the "players" are payed that much is Formula 1, and at least you can argue they are theoretically risking their lives every other weekend in the summer.

tweetypie/8
27-08-2007, 23:14
No I never thought they were till I read this (http://money.uk.msn.com/consumer/football-finance/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5951147), it's sod all to do with the person, it's all about saleability of the person..

football player or hooker !!! it's all about selling the goods..

give me the hooker every time :D

Shadow Demon UK
27-08-2007, 23:37
Who pays the inflated prices though? Back in the late 70s, a ticket for the average match probably cost are £3. Now, even a cheap ticket in a low-placed team can be £25-30, and for a higher placed team, you may be talking £40 or £50.

But most people are happy to pay that amount, the top teams who pay their players the most amount of money could fill their grounds twice over. If you have high demand for a product in the business world you put your prices up, i see no difference in putting ticket prices up in football if theres huge demand.

There are very few top quality players around which is why they are paid large amounts of money, teams are scared that if they lose thier top players they will fall down the league and lose a lot of income so they need to keep their top players to keep them successful and keep the money coming in.

I personally think that footballers are worth the amount they are paid, theres no other job in the world where you are watched by millions of people all over the world, under huge pressure to perform to the highest standard. You'll find that only the top clubs who are successful pay their players wages around £100,000 and that is because they are successful, it's the teams that are in all the top competitions and whose games are shown in nearly every country around the world and that is how they are able to pay this money, through their success which is all down to the quality of the players they have which is represented in the amount they are paid.

gazzae
28-08-2007, 09:11
How many players of other sports earn over £10,000 a week and don't have to pay for their own training facilities? How many earn over £100,000 a week? I bet it's less than the number of football players.

In fact the only sport (played in this country) that I can think of where the "players" are payed that much is Formula 1, and at least you can argue they are theoretically risking their lives every other weekend in the summer.

How many footballers actually earn over £100,000 a week? Remember the average wage in the premiership is £13,000 a week

Padraig Harrington's winnings this year equate to £28,000 a week, and the season isn't over yet.
Tiger Wood's winnings this year equate to £72,000 a week, and the season isn't over yet.
Ricky Hatton is due to earn £8,000,000 from one fight.

If you look at the Forbes list of the top 25 highest paid athletes there are only 2 footballers on it, David Beckham and Ronaldo. There are 5 Tennis players and 3 golfers.