PDA

View Full Version : VM 20mb + WGT624 = tears before bedtime

dannyraul
26-08-2007, 22:26
So i was upgraded earlier this week and have been, like most, dissapointed with the speed upgrade. I have d/loaded various things from the virginmedia gamesfile site and the best I have achieved is 1mps and around 7-9mb on various speed test websites, and I came to the conclusion that there must be something wrong here! I decided to remove my wireless NETGEAR router and connect one of my pcs directly to the modem and was amazed with the difference it made, I was maxing out my connection on Easynews, VM, and on speed test websites. Using an old NETGEAR unmanged switch between the modem and pc didn't make much of a difference on the high speeds either, but as soon as the wireless router is put back in im back on poor 10mb speeds! Ive tried turning of SPI and that increases d/load speeds by half, setting up DMZ doesn't make a difference or turning off the wireless broadcast, there isn't anything else you can turn on/off with this router. The upload speeds are however unaffected regardless of what hardware is connected to the modem, the issue is just the d/l speeds. All the tests carried out on the wireless router have been done via a connection to its switch and not over the wireless connection by the way.

Any ideas at this point will be extreamly welcome :confused:

Russ
26-08-2007, 22:51
Please don't make multiple posts on the same subject, thanks.

peterjohno
27-08-2007, 00:14
I too am experiencing that. For the moment, im leaving the router out the loop. Any ideas anyone ???????

christopherw
27-08-2007, 15:59
Maybe the wan port isn't rated for higher than 10mbps? The switch might be 10/100 but the wan port could only be rated for 10, if so you're SOL.

Maybe the chipset can't handle constant throughput higher than 10mbps, that's another possibility... Or have you tried upgrading the unit's firmware?

peterjohno
27-08-2007, 18:33
The latest firmware is on mine , and not really any info on the netgear site.

xspeedyx
28-08-2007, 10:05
Same problem here ****ty speeds

fatassmichael
28-08-2007, 11:24
I think the problem may be that particular router has an auto sensing wan port, and for some reason it is not "seeing" the connection properly, i have had a quick look through the manual for the v3 revision, but i cant see an option to change from auto sensing.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wgt624v3_ref_manual_25Apr05.pdf

Hopefully someone with better eyes might!

dojoman47
28-08-2007, 13:12
I have the same router and have had no problems with it. The speeds were bit unreliable at first but now they are rock steady. Below is a snapshot from yesterday, this is via wireless as the router is in my sons room.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/dojoman1/newsbindload2.jpg

dannyraul
28-08-2007, 14:21
Sorry I havn't used Newsbin before but it says at the bottom of the app 18mb and 2.3mbps, surely your not achieving those speeds on wireless! Also have you changed any of the settings in the router? Ive tried everything I can think of to no avail.

dave6x
28-08-2007, 14:33
No reason why he shouldn't get those speeds when correctly set-up. I also have this router, it's capable of providing up to 108Mbps wireless speeds with suitable 802.11g turbo devices.

dannyraul
28-08-2007, 16:35
Yes all my wireless devices run at 108mbps, however due to environment factors you will never achieve hardwired stats on a wireless connection - unless your using an n-draft router which this isn't. If you try d/loading something from the virgin gamesfiles site the speeds will be considerably slower on wireless than hardwired to the switch.

dojoman47
28-08-2007, 16:52
Those figures were achieved using the WG111T Adapter. I am using Giga news as my provider and I can assure you that those speeds are correct. I can d/l a full dvd in just over 35 minutes.

dannyraul
28-08-2007, 17:04
Do you know what version you have of this router? Did you have to change any settings in order to get the full 20mb out of it? At best I can get 11-12mb with the firewall switched off, 7-8mb with it on using a cable to the switch.

dojoman47
28-08-2007, 17:17
It is V3, as for settings I do not know, my son in law set it up for me but he is presently in Saudi.

peterjohno
28-08-2007, 18:17
Mines a v3 too. what difference would it make if i turn off the spi firewall ?

dannyraul
29-08-2007, 00:06
If you disable SPI your d/l speeds will probably increase, however it will leave you open to DoS attacks etc but I asume you have a firewall on your clients anyway.

I thought the v3's had no problems with utilising 20mb, well a guy on another forum said he had no problems with his v3. Get in contact with Netgear Support and raise a ticket on this problem, this is what ive done and they are still working on the problem.

https://my.netgear-support.com/registration/login.aspx