PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong for me to

zc1
26-08-2007, 13:40
Hi,

I found an addon for a script on a forum that was for version 1 and made it work with version 2 didn't have to do much code change, just needed to look for the right thing.

Now if I decide to sell this as people want it for $5.00 or £5.00, would this be wrong ?

gaffer_gump
26-08-2007, 14:01
You want to sell something that you didn't make only altered a bit? I take it you found it for free?

Yeah it's wrong...

ikthius
26-08-2007, 14:06
Hi,

I found an addon for a script on a forum that was for version 1 and made it work with version 2 didn't have to do much code change, just needed to look for the right thing.

Now if I decide to sell this as people want it for $5.00 or £5.00, would this be wrong ?

yeah, why dont you just give it away, but have your name associated witht he script, after all you found the ver 1 for nowt

ik
p.s. what is the script for? what language?

zc1
26-08-2007, 14:13
Hi,

Yes I found it for free on a forum, it is for a dating script that make it easier for couples to join.

The only thing I wanted to charge for is my time, as it taken a few days.

How about if I say where I got it from and ask for donations ?

Jon T
26-08-2007, 14:30
Was the original script licensed under an open source license(GPL, etc), If so, you may want to check the terms of the license that is was released under.

gaffer_gump
26-08-2007, 14:52
A dating script that makes it easier for couples to join what?

I think I am having a blond day and I'm not even blond....

ikthius
26-08-2007, 14:56
Hi,

Yes I found it for free on a forum, it is for a dating script that make it easier for couples to join.

The only thing I wanted to charge for is my time, as it taken a few days.

How about if I say where I got it from and ask for donations ?

were you asked to do this?
or have you taken it upon yourself to do this?

do you not think that dating websites, will pay for a company to do their site for them including sign up scripts?

is it not just a form you have made?

ik

zc1
26-08-2007, 15:38
Hi,

No I was not asked to do it.

A lot of people of Open Source dating script, wants a better joining form for couples including myself, so I found a mod that was for version 1 of the Open Source dating script and made it work with version 2 which is also Open Source, with a few changes

What I have done, is put the signup php script into a new script and used this mod I found on the Open Source dating script forum.

The orginial dating script is LGPL, the mod did not have anything about a license and I persume it to be free to use by anyone

v0id
26-08-2007, 16:36
Ask the original author of the script if you can redistribute their work, and charge for it.
I think I know what their answer will be