PDA

View Full Version : Travelling into America...

Damien
26-08-2007, 10:33
I might be heading off to America in the coming months or so but I had a few questions. I went 3 years ago or so but since then it seems to have become even stricter to get into the country. I wondered what you had to do now, before I needed the strip on my passport, they took a photo of me and my fingerprints! (not even the UK government has that!).

I have heard it is worse now, Including 1) You have to apply online to tell them your coming soon 2) They are given details of credit cards, address, e-mail (i do not know how they get that!)

Are the above true, is there anything else?

Shaun
26-08-2007, 12:12
I have heard it is worse now, Including 1) You have to apply online to tell them your coming soon 2) They are given details of credit cards, address, e-mail (i do not know how they get that!)

Are the above true, is there anything else?

The only things that have changes AFAIK are that when you book the flight the details of your address, e-mail and the first address you intend to stay at transmitted to Washington for them to make a decision about if you can fly or not. That used to be done when you boarded the plane but now it's done in advance.

Other than that it's the same, photo, fingerprint, state reason for entry and perhaps reassure them that you have enough money for your stay.

When I went last summer it was far easier than I thought. No questions as to how much money we had, where we were going while we were there or anything. The guy just fingerprinted us, asked if we were holiday makers (well sort of, we were visiting family) and that was that. Although we had a return flight booked so I guess the fears that you will over stay will be far less than if you had just a single.

I was expecting the third degree about having a job to return to and the like but nothing like that happened. This was Seattle/Tacoma airport though, things may be more strict on the eastern seaboard or further south on the western.

One thing I did object to was the armed police (with machine guns) and sniffer dogs as we all walked down the ramp. Necessary I guess (or they thought so) but after I 9 hour flight I really didn't need a dog jumping up me and snarling (no, I didn't have anything I shouldn't have on me ;) Dogs jsut like me for some reason).

Where you going Damien - somewhere nice?

Damien
26-08-2007, 17:48
San Francisco.

I am just annoyed by the complete lack of respect for personal privacy. I understand some of it, I understand the checks for a criminal record (i dont have one) although I do not understand why people with one may not be allowed in. What if its something small? .

Also, I do not mind our own government having my fingerprints. But a different country? That kind of bugs me. Also if it is true about credit history and such then it REALLY bugs me. I like that they make a decision before you get on the plane though.

Hom3r
26-08-2007, 17:58
My Deputy Manager is currently in the USA (LV SF etc) he said he didn't have to do anything special.

I would have thought that the travel agent would tell you of any requrements entering the US

Escapee
26-08-2007, 18:28
I have been over to Florida a few times in the past 18 months on business trips, my last one back in May this year was my worst experience. I arrived at immigration and immediately attrated attention, I was taken away with all my luggage for search and questioning.

It was strange, and almost as if they were waiting for me to arrive. I am working on a defence contract so there was not a lot of detail I could tell them, I had to explain that I was unable to answer some questions without advice from our security controller because the information was ITAR restriced, he then put a call out on his radio asking for assistance to come and assist.

This one guy was very annoying, had me take everything out of my suitcase and he checked all the lining etc. He then checked every item before I placed it back in, during this he was asking lots of questions. We finished my suitcase and it was just the hand luggage to look at, at that point he got called away and said to the quiet older guy 'Just the hand luggage to do' The older guy asked me a few questions about South Wales because he had visited, but he didn't even bother with the hand luggage just waved me through and told me to have a nice stay.

Luckily my hand luggage contained all the items that would attract attention, CD's, PDA, 2 mobile phones and some documentation.

A previous visit from other work collegues resulted in them missing their return flight as securuty at the airport took them to a room for hours looking at every file on their laptops. (the reason I will not take a laptop)

I think business trips are probably worse than pleasure in many instances, I know people with blonde hair who never get stopped because that doesn;t fit in with the profile they are looking for. On the other hand I know a guy who gets trouble every time he visits family over there, that's because he has a Bosnia stamp in his passport.

The thing to remember when they are asking you questions is they may seem silly questions, but they are just looking at how you are reacting in body language etc.

Damien
26-08-2007, 18:45
Ouch, I may think twice about bringing a laptop then

Escapee
26-08-2007, 20:10
Ouch, I may think twice about bringing a laptop then
If the trip is for pleasure I guess there may not be a problem. They would not be expecting you to be carrying restricted information, but someone working in the defence industry may well be!

I had previously found canada to be much worse than the USA for immigration control, in Canada they are concerned about people going in and taking other peoples jobs. I was there to assist with transfer of a contract from a company in Canada to a company in the UK. That was taking work from Canada and they didn't like it one bit. Then again perhaps Canada can be applauded for looking after their own interests and the interest of their economy unlike some other countries.

Damien
26-08-2007, 20:36
If the trip is for pleasure I guess there may not be a problem. They would not be expecting you to be carrying restricted information, but someone working in the defence industry may well be!

I had previously found canada to be much worse than the USA for immigration control, in Canada they are concerned about people going in and taking other peoples jobs. I was there to assist with transfer of a contract from a company in Canada to a company in the UK. That was taking work from Canada and they didn't like it one bit. Then again perhaps Canada can be applauded for looking after their own interests and the interest of their economy unlike some other countries.

Does not seem to be working though does it :confused:? (unless it is). We have a stronger economy dont we?

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Anyway, thats off-topic. I dont want them spending hours going though my laptop. But I am in my final year and would need (read: should, but am unlikely to) do work while there.

Hugh
26-08-2007, 20:40
Damien, I travel to the US frequently (business and pleasure) - I have had no issues taking a laptop through.

skyblueheroes
26-08-2007, 22:09
Went to San Fran in March - loved it. Tagged on NY and Boston too.

Nothing stricter than a couple of extra checks at the airports.

bayonet
27-08-2007, 08:47
Like Sean I went to Seattle in April and was surprised at how quickly we got through security UK and US side. Was in Vancouver last year and they were an age when we came back checking our trainers rather them than me.

Escapee
27-08-2007, 18:48
Like Sean I went to Seattle in April and was surprised at how quickly we got through security UK and US side. Was in Vancouver last year and they were an age when we came back checking our trainers rather them than me.

I take it that Seattle didn't get you to remove shoes/trainers?

Florida has done this every time I have been through, even before the extra security. (The time before last I was out there, I left the UK for Florida the day before they caught them trying to carry chemicals on) I understand Florida has always been known for tight security, but I thought all airports would be tight now.

I always refuse to take a laptop, its just not worth the hassle if they find out you work in the defence industry.

ic2
27-08-2007, 19:02
I always refuse to take a laptop, its just not worth the hassle if they find out you work in the defence industry.

Like others, no problems with taking a lappy, even if some of the data is encrypted. Although, just come back last weekend and on the immigration checks they wanted to know why I had two Russian Visa`s in my passport. Once I explained why, they were satisfied with my answers. My personal view is that you will not be allowed on the aircraft if the US have a problem with you as most of the checks are carried out before you board.

I also found getting through JFK quicker than getting back through Heathrow

Mick
27-08-2007, 19:08
I hazard a guess that as the days and weeks get closer to the anniversary of the September 11th attacks (6 years now since that day), security will be tight at most of the major ports into the US.

bayonet
28-08-2007, 05:17
No they were pretty cool on the way out in Seattle no great crisis

Escapee
28-08-2007, 08:57
No they were pretty cool on the way out in Seattle no great crisis

Perhaps its just Florida then, the guys I visit over there have made comments about Florida always being very strict.

The guy I know socially who has problems with the Bosnia stamps in his passport gets all the problems when he visits Florida. On his last 3 visits they have taken him away for questioning.

Because I work in defence it always amuses me when they ask if I am carrying any samples.:D

Chris
28-08-2007, 09:42
San Francisco.

I am just annoyed by the complete lack of respect for personal privacy. I understand some of it, I understand the checks for a criminal record (i dont have one) although I do not understand why people with one may not be allowed in. What if its something small? .

Also, I do not mind our own government having my fingerprints. But a different country? That kind of bugs me. Also if it is true about credit history and such then it REALLY bugs me. I like that they make a decision before you get on the plane though.

Why should it bug you? It's a foreign country. There is nothing compelling you to go there. If you don't like the way they do things, then don't go, it really is that simple. Your life will be none the poorer if you never go to the USA.

The first time I flew in to Miami it was just after photo and fingerprinting had started and it caused a massive queue at immigration. But I was there on business, with a laptop, and I had no problems.

We all had to remove our shoes at security on the way home, but this is not a uniquely American obsession, I've had to do that at Birmingham once or twice as well.

Fingy
28-08-2007, 12:08
I flew into Florida (MCO) in June and had no problems at all. Just the normal chat with the immigration official, photo and fingerprints. We did not have a laptop with us so can't tell you about that.

The only poor experience we had was flying via Shannon (Ireland) a few years ago in September as they questioned my now husband travelling at that time as his occupation was classed as a student. They requested to see his student ID and all sorts of things and queried why he was going away for 2 weeks. However once explained to them that his semester did not start back until October they were fine.

Damien
28-08-2007, 13:23
Why should it bug you? It's a foreign country. There is nothing compelling you to go there. If you don't like the way they do things, then don't go, it really is that simple. Your life will be none the poorer if you never go to the USA.

The first time I flew in to Miami it was just after photo and fingerprinting had started and it caused a massive queue at immigration. But I was there on business, with a laptop, and I had no problems.

We all had to remove our shoes at security on the way home, but this is not a uniquely American obsession, I've had to do that at Birmingham once or twice as well.

I like America though, I just dont like them taking my fingerprints and if it is true about the credit record/email then that is quite a massive ask.

Shaun
28-08-2007, 13:57
I take it that Seattle didn't get you to remove shoes/trainers?

I had to remove mine but they were just chucked in with the rest of my stuff. The one thing that caused a commotion for us (a couple of weeks after the liquid scare) was a cheese board made out of a recycled whine bottle. Showed up on the scanner with the shape of a wine bottle even though it was flattened! :o:

Shaun
28-08-2007, 14:11
San Francisco.

Is on my list of places to go next year (if I can save enough!! ;)).

I'd love to do Seattle, "Coast Starlight" (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&cid=1081256321841&c=am2Route&ssid=135) to San Fran/LA and then fly to Las Vegas before going back to Seattle for a couple of weeks with family before flying home.

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

I like America though, I just dont like them taking my fingerprints and if it is true about the credit record/email then that is quite a massive ask.

I think I may have confused you there. As far as I know they don't run a credit check on you they just ask you how much money you have on you. They want to be sure that you're not intending to work (i.e. you turn up with very little money) and that you will be able to support yourself until you go home. I think we avoided that as the address we gave for our stay was that of family so they weren't that fussed. That coupled with a return ticket for 14 nights seemed enough for them to miss out all the questions on how much money we had with us. It's no different to the questions that get asked of those that come into the UK from abroad and intend to stay for a while. :)

Escapee
28-08-2007, 14:38
Is on my list of places to go next year (if I can save enough!! ;)).

I'd love to do Seattle, "Coast Starlight" (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&cid=1081256321841&c=am2Route&ssid=135) to San Fran/LA and then fly to Las Vegas before going back to Seattle for a couple of weeks with family before flying home.

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

I think I may have confused you there. As far as I know they don't run a credit check on you they just ask you how much money you have on you. They want to be sure that you're not intending to work (i.e. you turn up with very little money) and that you will be able to support yourself until you go home. I think we avoided that as the address we gave for our stay was that of family so they weren't that fussed. That coupled with a return ticket for 14 nights seemed enough for them to miss out all the questions on how much money we had with us. It's no different to the questions that get asked of those that come into the UK from abroad and intend to stay for a while. :)

Forgot about that bit, when they took me away to search my luggage I also had to show them how much money I had on me. I would of thought in the days of credit cards and cashpoint cards people carry just enough. I had a few hundred dollars on me because my gf happened to have some dollars.

I understand from our oversees supplier in Florida, that Florida airport are very strict when they bring tools and equipment across in luggage. If they bring a toolcase as part of their luggage they individually package each item in a sealed plastic bag and have an inventory number on it, and have a list to detail each item.

They say that customs in the UK are not interested, its the US side that gives the trouble. If they bring something like an osxilloscope in, or other item of value its always the item on the list that customs want to see when they go back to Orlando.

The USA a very strict with documentation for defence work, many defence companies now avoid using USA technology for this reason if possible.

SMHarman
28-08-2007, 15:02
There is no credit check, you could check your credit report when you get back. Just like they don't check to see if you have proper travel insurance etc.
It is two fingerprints, not a full set and a photo both are pre-emptive of the data soon to be stored on your passport electronically anyway.
The data collected when you book is the same data as before, just again the airlines have got smarter and are not collecting it at the checking but at the time of booking.
IMHO Immigration seems to have gotten faster these days, perhaps there is an overreliance on technology instead.

bayonet
28-08-2007, 15:20
Shaun go to Seattle a nice blend of coast and superb scenery perhaps this should be in a different thread but I want to go back. Stayed not far from Pike Place Market in an apartment as our colonial friends call it

Weather was a bit colder than here, it was April, but it's not so touristy as other places I've been (SF and NY)

Shaun
28-08-2007, 16:34
Shaun go to Seattle a nice blend of coast and superb scenery perhaps this should be in a different thread but I want to go back. Stayed not far from Pike Place Market in an apartment as our colonial friends call it

I love the laid back feel you get from Seattle. I really can't wait to go back next year. :)

Chris
28-08-2007, 16:53
I love the laid back feel you get from Seattle. I really can't wait to go back next year. :)

Wonder if it's something to do with this guy?
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2004/finale/interactive/gallery.fraiser/1frasier.crane.jpg
:D

Hugh
28-08-2007, 17:12
He's listening.............

SMHarman
29-08-2007, 11:37
But he is an uptight east coast Bostonian who has been transplanted into Seattle.

bayonet
29-08-2007, 12:33
Never seen him when I was there was hoping to bump into Roz though!!