PDA

View Full Version : What browsing speed increase will I see ?

harve
26-08-2007, 10:33
I'm thinking of upgrading from L to XL.

I'm not concerned about uploading or downloading large files
- what I'd like to see is a reduction in the time it takes
to navigate from one page to another.

You know what it's like when you are doing a lot of browsing
and even a 2 second delay can seem a lot if you are
navigating through many pages.

Will an upgrade from L to XL show a marked improvement ?

Thanks

alexcopeland
26-08-2007, 10:45
I have had 20Mb broadband for the last month and upgraded from the 2Mb service. I can not believe how quick browsing the web has become now. There's no waiting at all for a page to load.

Downloading large files is a dream come true. There's nothing like grabbing a movie in 45 minutes with utorrent.

Watching movie trailers in HD is bloody good too!

Enjoy.

goldoni
26-08-2007, 11:06
I'm thinking of upgrading from L to XL.

I'm not concerned about uploading or downloading large files
- what I'd like to see is a reduction in the time it takes
to navigate from one page to another.

You know what it's like when you are doing a lot of browsing
and even a 2 second delay can seem a lot if you are
navigating through many pages.

Will an upgrade from L to XL show a marked improvement ?

Thanks

depends on your area I'm in a area that is over subscribed so I do have browsing problems.

fatassmichael
26-08-2007, 12:30
Try using a proxy server, eg, webcache.virginmedia.co.uk on port 8080, and/or changing
dns to something like opendns, it may speed up browsing without you having to spend more money.

xspeedyx
26-08-2007, 16:17
It also helps if the website has enough bandwidth to let you browse at ur speed

harve
26-08-2007, 19:49
Try using a proxy server, eg, webcache.virginmedia.co.uk on port 8080, and/or changing
dns to something like opendns, it may speed up browsing without you having to spend more money.
Thanks I'll investigate.

Another question - if I do upgrade will I need
a different modem ? I tried to check this out at
virginmedia.co.uk but my modem was not in the list
- SurfBoard SB3100

moaningmags
26-08-2007, 21:42
Yes, you will need to ask for a new modem
the Surfboard 3100 won't do 10mb nevermind 20mb.

harve
26-08-2007, 21:54
Yes, you will need to ask for a new modem
the Surfboard 3100 won't do 10mb nevermind 20mb.
Thanks. If it's not a silly question would I have to pay for the modem ?

AmAtoL
27-08-2007, 00:32
Browsing isn't any good here in Stockport, certainly not better than even 1 meg, I haven't seen any improvement at all.
You will have to just wait and see, nothing is guaranteed, I can honestly say I am disappointed with the browsing speed atm. Connection speed is all over the place as well, what seems like very bad packet loss is also evident in games too.
I can do without the 2 meg downloads I just need a quality connection :(

Mick Fisher
27-08-2007, 01:36
Try using OpenDNS to help your slow browsing problems.

fatassmichael
27-08-2007, 12:27
Sorry harve, the proxy address should be, webcache.blueyonder.co.uk on port 8080.

Toto
27-08-2007, 13:01
Virgin Media recognise that a lot of browsing problems are associated with the increased DNS traffic attributed to content on many websites, particularly social networks such as Facebook or whatever they are called. They also recognise that their current DNS system is being heavily used and has little redundancy, so they are currently updating their DNS network to provide a more robust experience (http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=126390) for their customers.

You can have as much speed as you like, but if VM have a problem with Internet name translation, then the experience will be poor.

moaningmags
29-08-2007, 08:55
Harve "Thanks. If it's not a silly question would I have to pay for the modem ?"

Nooooooo, certainly not.
Either call tech support or go to
www.virginmedia.com/evenfaster
and select your modem, service etc
then select Quick Start, modem will be posted out.

harve
29-08-2007, 09:48
Nooooooo, certainly not.
Either call tech support or go to
www.virginmedia.com/evenfaster
and select your modem, service etc
then select Quick Start, modem will be posted out.
Great, thanks

goldoni
30-08-2007, 21:36
Virgin Media recognise that a lot of browsing problems are associated with the increased DNS traffic attributed to content on many websites, particularly social networks such as Facebook or whatever they are called. They also recognise that their current DNS system is being heavily used and has little redundancy, so they are currently updating their DNS network to provide a more robust experience (http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=126390) for their customers.

You can have as much speed as you like, but if VM have a problem with Internet name translation, then the experience will be poor.

I don't want to claim I found this I came accross this link found by another CF member it's a company offering DNS translation it also recomends you also change the setting in your router. I wounder I sent the VM DNS settings in my router?? would that help??

Any way the link to try Link (http://www.opendns.com/start/windows_xp.php#step6)

hjf288
30-08-2007, 21:53
OpenDNS are great it helped my slow browsing problems... ^^

harve
30-08-2007, 23:38
Any way the link to try Link (http://www.opendns.com/start/windows_xp.php#step6)

In Step 5 "Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties"
the option Properties was dimmed ie. not available

goldoni
30-08-2007, 23:41
I did try changing the DNS settings in my Linksys router with the VM DNS settings and it was even slower than before so I have changed them back to the settings given via the link.

These pages take for ever to change, things have goto change I can't stand this much longer.

homealone
31-08-2007, 00:27
mr cookee please put all your settings back to the defaults ;)

goldoni
31-08-2007, 01:57
In Step 5 "Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties"
the option Properties was dimmed ie. not available

Please note I am an engineer qualified I might add to work on GAS :D ok so for option 5 if your using wifi go for the properties of that connection not the wired connection then go down to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and left click the properties tab should then become available.
If the settings don’t help or speed up the time it take to bring the page just un-tick the box and re-start your computer and your back were you started.

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

mr cookee please put all your settings back to the defaults ;)

So its you gaz working part time in India, how do you do it :D trust me if I did put my settings back to defaults this web site would take ages to bring up the front page and the VM home page is just not worth trying. With the router settings changed along with the computer settings it works with a slight delay.

I even tried to change the DNS settings in my Linksys router to the VM DNS settings that was so slow.

Silly thing is if I go to Northampton and connect to a 2Mb/s it flys so god knows how fast it would be if he had 20Mb/s