PDA

View Full Version : virgin noncable broadband

vips
25-08-2007, 20:57
Hi,
I recently moved from cabled to noncable area. Virgin have now given me speedtouch 330 usb modem :(. I have a belkin wireless router which I used it with previous cable router (ethernet comapatible). I dont want to pay virgin another 40 £ to get wireless router. So my question is, supposing I barrow 'a' ADSL router from a friend or buy it cheaper, will I be able to connect it to virgin media ADSL services or does it need to be configured. Does the ADSL modem with ethernet compatibility have to be from any particular manufacturer.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I would have gladly paid for the router, if not for all the hassle I had to go through, waiting for month for transfer, calling premier number:mad: and hours waiting on customer service line listening to 'press 1, press 2 etc':erm:

thanks a lot:shrug:

Pushkar
25-08-2007, 21:13
Stealing your friend's router is perfectly fine.

goldoni
25-08-2007, 21:14
Firstly :welcome: I have a Belkin G Wireless router, printed on the box “ Connects to your Ethernet ADSL/CABLE modem. So from that it works with either. Regarding the USB bit I don't know but I think you can get a USB to ethernet adapter.

The good points are they are cheap from £29 to £39 and they have a life time warranty so if it ever breaks they will swap it out. They are dead easy to set-up.

No doubts you will get some who will say Belkin are crap but I will defend their right to be wrong.

Hope this helps

vips
26-08-2007, 00:55
Stealing your friend's router is perfectly fine.

thanks
that was fast !
you didn't give me time to sober up after my post:monkey:

does the 'borrowed router' need to be configured or simple plug and play

thanks in advance

Jon T
26-08-2007, 09:20
thanks
that was fast !
you didn't give me time to sober up after my post:monkey:

does the 'borrowed router' need to be configured or simple plug and play

thanks in advance

You'll have a Virgin ADSL username/password that will need to be entered in to the router.

The modem/router will take the place of both your speedtouch and the Belkin router.