PDA

View Full Version : an angry virgin c

pulli23
24-08-2007, 21:30
I have only had virgin for 1 day yet so mnay issues, My setup is currently the virgin branded modem and Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. Sometimes randomly, it just disconnects and says limited connectivity or local network. In order to get backonline I have to run the router cd again and just reconfigure my setup, I am very annoyed, does anyone know a solution?

also I am using windows vista

Paul K
24-08-2007, 21:34
I have only had virgin for 1 day yet so mnay issues, My setup is currently the virgin branded modem and Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. Sometimes randomly, it just disconnects and says limited connectivity or local network. In order to get backonline I have to run the router cd again and just reconfigure my setup, I am very annoyed, does anyone know a solution?

Does it happen if you remove the router from the set up?

pulli23
24-08-2007, 21:36
Does it happen if you remove the router from the set up?

I have not tried that yet, Surely it cannot be the router, i know other people who use the same one, who has no issues

willas00
24-08-2007, 21:41
I have not tried that yet, Surely it cannot be the router, i know other people who use the same one, who has no issues

Could be easlily. Try it, its the first thing Virgin Media support would ask you to do

rogerdraig
24-08-2007, 21:46
although i am not one to actively support virgin lately believe me it can be the router even that one ;)

check you have altered the default name etc as often some one near you who hasnt done this also can be the cause of your problems

Pushkar
24-08-2007, 21:49
It is the router, i have a WRT54G and it randomly disconnects and you need to reinstall the router to get past, takes a few minutes so doesn't matter too much, i'd appreciate an answer if there is one.

willas00
24-08-2007, 21:51
Simple soloution, Get a better router. :LOL:

pulli23
24-08-2007, 21:55
It is the router, i have a WRT54G and it randomly disconnects and you need to reinstall the router to get past, takes a few minutes so doesn't matter too much, i'd appreciate an answer if there is one.

I just purchased router from amazon like 2 weeks ago can i get a refund or exchange or ring up linksys and demand a replacement?

Pushkar
24-08-2007, 21:59
Theres technically nothing wrong with the router, but something disconfigured.

But i guess you could emphasise it is broken.

willas00
24-08-2007, 22:01
If its the router that does this then surly there is something not set up right or its faulty. Have you tried contacting the manufacture to check of any known faults with the router?

goldoni
24-08-2007, 22:07
There may be some proper techs along but until they arrive I will give you my opinion. The Liksys is ok BUT

Firstly I am sure this is the wireless access that is giving you problems. To make sure your connection is stable connect your modem directly to you computer and check things out. I think you will now have a stable connection.

You can now work outwards. The Linksys needs a stable wireless connection between your computer and access point of your router. Check if you have another person near you on the same channel; try to stay three away from any channel used. Your DECT phone if you have one can cause a problem or you’re mobile.

Have you changed the SSID if not follow the instructions as this could cause a problem

You say you have to re use your set-up CD to re-start your wireless network, this also confirms your WiFi is the problem and you should be able to re-start the wireless network without using the CD

Lastly if you still have problems try phoning Linksys on their free phone number. They are very good at helping people set-up their router for the first time. If you router is US they will arrange an RMA

I hope you get this before you start phoning VM tech support as it will cost you quite a lot of money to be told you modem is working fine.

Hope some of this helps ;)

Sorry guys after writing all this I find others have posted

jamiefrost
24-08-2007, 22:34
This router should work fine, as suggested above I would change the SSID and the channel.

Do know if that router can scan the area to tell you which channels are in use near by. If not change the channel and keep trying.

HTH

JJ

pulli23
24-08-2007, 22:49
my router is wired to my pc and wireless to another, it is disconnecting to my pc( the wired one) so the wireless is not the issue.

janipewter
24-08-2007, 22:52

1) If you're behind a router, the "Limited or no connectivity" message you are getting is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your internet connection. I wouldn't bother phoning VM to complain, you'd just be wasting your money since it is your equipment which is broken, not theirs.

2) Vista - LOL!

zing_deleted
24-08-2007, 22:53
update the routers firmware maybe I persoanlly would rma it as faulty as you could brick the router while flashing it if it disconnects

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:52 ----------

1) If you're behind a router, the "Limited or no connectivity" message you are getting is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your internet connection.

2) Vista - LOL!

nowt wrong with vista just uifos problems

janipewter
24-08-2007, 22:54
What are uifos problems?

zing_deleted
24-08-2007, 22:55
user in front of screen

goldoni
24-08-2007, 23:00
user in front of screen

I'm sorry but it has to be said :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

NTLVictim
24-08-2007, 23:09
Also known amongst my systems brethren as PEBKAC.

Problem exists between keyboard and chair..and most of the time it was, trust me!

Hugh
25-08-2007, 07:57
At my old place, it was put as "at this time, we are still investigating which side of the keyboard the problem is occurring.....".

On a more serious note, have you tried taking the Router out of the equation yet, as was suggested in the 2nd post of this thread?

Then, check your settings (I had a Linksys 54 for over two years, and it worked fine once I got the settings right - that was, until Thursday evening, when I got home and found it completely borked -but that's another story).

You may find these links useful
How to setup (http://www.tech-faq.com/setup-linksys-router.shtml)
Linksys (http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3686&lid=5531661879B06)

May I also suggest that you use Google before posting, as there are lots of people who have had the same issues as you connecting using a Linksys (and other makes of) router, and the solutions are there waiting to be found,

Lastly, why are you angry with Virgin? (which is what the header looks like) - because you can't set up a router, it's their fault?

goldoni
25-08-2007, 12:59
Lastly, why are you angry with Virgin? (which is what the header looks like) - because you can't set up a router, it's their fault?

Because he is 15 and lives in London, not necessary in that order. ;) Can’t you remember when you were that age, nothing was your fault and any one over 20 was very old and can’t possible know anything that you already know! Today they say “yer wotever” :D

Oh and I forgot, Good post with good info.

xpod
25-08-2007, 13:37
And i got slated for being "harsh" to staff not so long ago....deary me;)
Anyway,how about just getting your dad to fix it:shocked:

I`m glad i have such an understanding (nearly)15 Yr old ........he knows he`ll get off that 1Mb stb and onto this blistering fast 20Mb when things pick up:shrug:

:D

Teenagers eh???.....If it`s not their bits it`s their bytes.:rolleyes: