PDA

View Full Version : cable depth requirements HELP!

Dragbag
22-08-2007, 12:22
can any one plz tell me & or put a link up on the LEGAL requirements that an ntl (virgin) cable should be buried.
as my mums fencer cut through her neighbours cable that was just a few inches below the ground:confused:

Taf
22-08-2007, 12:25
I was digging in the front garden and found the cable conduit 7 inches below the surface... in a flower bed.... luckily it didn't get damaged.

goldoni
22-08-2007, 12:42
can any one plz tell me & or put a link up on the LEGAL requirements that an ntl (virgin) cable should be buried.
as my mums fencer cut through her neighbours cable that was just a few inches below the ground:confused:

Firstly :welcome: to Cable Forum and your question, That is the question NTL / VM don't know the answer. :D

Now don't quote me but as it does not carry high power and can't freeze like water pipes no British standard is set or as you put it legal requirements. But I would say the work should be completed in a professional way and should be deeper than a spade if in a flower bed.

v0id
22-08-2007, 14:07
I think the question should be is: What was the cable to your neighbours house doing on your property? :/

goldoni
22-08-2007, 16:54
I think the question should be is: What was the cable to your neighbours house doing on your property? :/

OR: Why was your mothers fence doing on your neighbours property? This and other questions will be answered.:p:

Just did a google and what did I find? From 2004 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/8384-merged-cable-depth.html (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/8384-merged-cable-depth.html)

Dragbag
22-08-2007, 19:10
OR: Why was your mothers fence doing on your neighbours property? This and other questions will be answered.:p:

Just did a Google and what did I find? From 2004 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/8384-merged-cable-depth.html (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/8384-merged-cable-depth.html)

the fence was a boundary one, & appears the cable was just on the wrong side!

Nedkelly
22-08-2007, 20:38
The guide use is a spades depth .But it is very rare you will see this :erm:

Paul K
22-08-2007, 21:04

The fencer should have been more careful and watched what he was doing. Wether the cable was just below surface or a spade depth down he would still have damaged it if he had not bothered to check the area properly. You should be chasing this up with the fencer as it should be him that picks up the bill for damages if one occurs.

goldoni
22-08-2007, 21:14
When they did my install in the days of V90 gas modems, they just put the spade into the turf and fed the bare cable behind the spade which I did complain about because if the cable split or cracked it would cause problems with the phone line. They then got some green sleeving out of their van and cut a slit the whole length and proceeded to slip it over the cable.

I went out and asked who was in charge and told him in no uncertain terms he had one more go at doing a professional job or they could take their cable where the sun don’t shine. They were not happy bunnies ripping the cable out and running a new sleeve with the two cables. The point is even after saying they had one more go the green sleeve was just under the grass, but at least it was within a green sleeving cable.

RedDragon
24-08-2007, 21:46
The cable should be repairable in situ by a tech, if not the cable will need to be repulled, either way it's unlikely anyone will be billed as the cable was not correctly installed/buried in the first place.

v0id
27-08-2007, 23:05
The guide use is a spades depth .But it is very rare you will see this :erm:

Yeah, usually installers around here just lift the turf or a slab

bw41101
27-08-2007, 23:34
I had similar issues when cable was installed at my property years ago. The installation crew tried the trick of whapping a spade into the lawn and then dropping the cable into the slot.:erm: After I tackled them on the installation method, they too pulled it up and fitted a green alkathene sleeve along the length of the cable, which (in the long run) paid off as I've recently had the lawn removed in favour of block paving.

Though I do remember that it wasn't Telewest that laid the cable, but some (yee haw) sub contract outfit like P Garret and W Kidd. :D

Si thee