PDA

View Full Version : Slow M Broadband at peak times

shnookumshnum
21-08-2007, 15:39
I have just about had enough of this crap service i am getting. My service is excellent in the afternoon and super fast, but at peak times it slows right down to such a slow rate that dial up could almost compete.
I have read the virgin fair use policy and it says that if you download like 2GB in an hour at peak you are capped to 1MB connection for the next 4 hours, I download nowhere near this rate at all, So it cant be because of this.
Yet I am still getting the slowest connection ever at peak, and they are still dishing out 20MB connection speeds with intent on upgrading - this really annoys me. The truth is I have had better broadband services down the phone line and thats no lie.
I have seen many people comment about "traffic shaping" and was wonder what they have done now, or if there is anything I can do to improve this crap peak rate despite calling VM to cancel? Surely it cant be like this for EVERY customer?

I have an NTL:250 modem and connected through Ethernet, as I said though, its super fast in the day, so surely its not the modem???

fatassmichael
21-08-2007, 16:21
On M package, the limit is 350MB between 4pm and 12am, you will then be shaped for 4 hours from the time you exeeded that limit.

shnookumshnum
21-08-2007, 19:15
I dont even come near to exceeding 350MB as I am at work all day, but during peak times its like dial up. Its terrible

fatassmichael
21-08-2007, 19:57
Are you connecting through a router?

shnookumshnum
21-08-2007, 20:44
Not connexted through a router.
I have looked at VM's AUP, and it does not state any download limits, only states that that have the right to suspend or reduce service, which is fair enough.

fatassmichael
21-08-2007, 21:01
But if you are 100% sure you are not exceding that limit between the hours shaping takes place, and Virgin reduced your service, That isn't fair and deserves a complaint.

nicke261192
21-08-2007, 21:26
Have you tried changing you Upstream Channel ID? I find that when my speed is low i change the ID and my speed is back. Found it when i was fiddling around one day. Someone will know something about it on here

xspeedyx
22-08-2007, 13:09
the limit is only between 4 - 12

shnookumshnum
22-08-2007, 17:26
Have you tried changing you Upstream Channel ID? I find that when my speed is low i change the ID and my speed is back. Found it when i was fiddling around one day. Someone will know something about it on here

So how do I go about doing this then? Anything is worth a try. On another note, why dont Virgin state what the actual limits are before you are capped in their AUP instead of just saying they have the right to suspend or restrict, Surely thats not fair? (Or maybe they do and I've missed it??)

Hugh
22-08-2007, 19:25
So how do I go about doing this then? Anything is worth a try. On another note, why dont Virgin state what the actual limits are before you are capped in their AUP instead of just saying they have the right to suspend or restrict, Surely thats not fair? (Or maybe they do and I've missed it??)
Traffic (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html)
"Broadband Size: M
During peak times, the top 5% on the Size: M package download at least 350MB of traffic each. Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed – their download speed will be set to 1Mb, with their upload speed set to 128Kb. This will last for 4 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied".

HTH