PDA

View Full Version : webpages really slow but speed fine??

dr aardvark
20-08-2007, 18:32
i've had a bit of a problem for the last few days - when i try to access webpages the internet is really slow, and may take several refreshes before it opens the page - however, newsgroups are top speed, bittorrent is fine and the speed test is fine.

any idea?

nothing has changed with my PC setup at all in this time.

xspeedyx
20-08-2007, 19:14
erm check for spyware check ur router is config correctly check the cables and also try a tcp patch

reggplant
20-08-2007, 20:56
I found that switching away form virgin's DNS server to OpenDNS (https://www.opendns.com/) made things much more responsive. There seems to be a problem with them in my area :/

superbiatch
20-08-2007, 21:04
A friend of mine was complaining of the same recently, after she installed kapersky but can't remember which version is was (probably most up to date one).

Agent47
20-08-2007, 21:09
A friend of mine was complaining of the same recently, after she installed kapersky but can't remember which version is was (probably most up to date one).

pal, I had the same problem as her both with V6 and V7, pages from this site, xbox.com etc would load halfway through then stop, soon as you quit the kapersky protection the pages would finish loading straight away.

ikthius
20-08-2007, 23:41
I found that switching away form virgin's DNS server to OpenDNS (https://www.opendns.com/) made things much more responsive. There seems to be a problem with them in my area :/

i looked into this, checked wikipedia, it seemed legit

I set it up...... wow page load speeds are phenominal

my main test was on javaranch... that site is notoriousl;y slow for me, sometimes just never loads.
first time, and faster than here (just using my eyes, no real test ;) ) for the first time ever, I recommend it

ik

bw41101
21-08-2007, 00:01
Out of curiosity, are you (per chance) using Firefox? I ask, as there's a feature that was (once) an add on (called Crash Recovery) for the browser, which took a snapshot of every web page visited. This is (now) an inherent feature of the browser which (by default) is activated.

This can cause your web pages to load slowly. Thankfully this feature can be switched off. Just a thought ;)

Cheers and Si thee

Pushkar
21-08-2007, 06:10
I had that problem yesterday, are you in the SM4 area?

Just reboot your modem/router and it should be okay now.

dr aardvark
21-08-2007, 10:22
thanks - i'll give those tips a try.

rebooting the modem does nothing.
i regularly check for spyware and have nothing.
i am using firefox (ver 1.5) with the crash recovery extension, but i have used this for several months with no problems - its only the last week or so that i am having trouble.

i'll give that DNS stuff a try - thanks a lot.

{FU}Fubar
21-08-2007, 10:25

i am using firefox (ver 1.5) with the crash recovery extension, but i have used this for several months with no problems - its only the last week or so that i am having trouble.

should update to firefox 2.0.6 as 1.5 is no longer supported :) http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-2.0.0.6&os=win&lang=en-GB

ikthius
21-08-2007, 10:39

one more thing.

have you got a software firewall?
if ZA get rid of it, it slows machines down to a crawl. Get comodo

put your Computer &modem off and your router (if you got one) off for 3 mins.
put router on first then modem, let that settle its lights for about 2 mins, then reboot comp.

but if you think that its still slow, go into safe mode and run your antivirus &or spy progs, in case of real nasty little buggers

ik

dav
21-08-2007, 11:09
I'm having the same problems just recently and found the OpenDNS recommendation very interesting and will try it later.

One question though...I have my CM connected to a Netgear router with a PC hardwired and a lappy via WiFi. My question is, do I just need to change the DNS settings in the Netgear and leave the ones on my PC's alone?

Cheers.

ikthius
21-08-2007, 11:44
I'm having the same problems just recently and found the OpenDNS recommendation very interesting and will try it later.

One question though...I have my CM connected to a Netgear router with a PC hardwired and a lappy via WiFi. My question is, do I just need to change the DNS settings in the Netgear and leave the ones on my PC's alone?

Cheers.

I just folowed the openDNS suggestion for windows, never touched the router.
I done the same for linux.

it is faster, if it slows down I will try the router, but so far no need to

ik

dr aardvark
21-08-2007, 21:41
well, i've tried everything here, even the open dns, and web pages are still slow to load.
is there anything else i can try, or is there a test that might at least show there is a problem so i am not imagining it.

its weird as nothing has changed - i have been using this pc for months and months as it is but it is only in the past week that the web is slow.

edit: actually i may have spoken too soon - seems faster now - i will have to test it some more.

Rone
21-08-2007, 22:14
Mine too, i can hit full 20 meg download wise, but web pages can be bad most times.
And i reformatted today [goodbye Vista] and yes its still bad. [no spyware etc etc etc] :)

ikthius
22-08-2007, 01:02
well, i've tried everything here, even the open dns, and web pages are still slow to load.
is there anything else i can try, or is there a test that might at least show there is a problem so i am not imagining it.

its weird as nothing has changed - i have been using this pc for months and months as it is but it is only in the past week that the web is slow.

edit: actually i may have spoken too soon - seems faster now - i will have to test it some more.
you had to reboot to take effect, hope you done that before you posted???

and every so often delete your cache

ik

dav
22-08-2007, 08:14
I tried OpenDNS last night and had a much better experience. Thanks:tu:

joglynne
22-08-2007, 08:52
I am only on 2mg ( downgraded from 4 in March when I realised that I was only getting 2 on average - why pay more for something I wasn't receiving.:) ) I had become irritated as web pages had become so slow over the last few days.

This morning I decided to try OpenDNS as suggested by reggplant and ikthius. Golly Gosh, what a difference. :D

Cheers reggplant & ikthius.

Retrovertigo
22-08-2007, 09:30
I started a simliar thread a few days ago because I am having the same problems in the Baguely area. It's still diabolical when browsing, yet download speeds from news servers blast along at full speed. Browsing is probably slower than it was when I was on 56k to be honest. Any webpages where streaming media is involved (I watch some game reviews on gamespot) keep stuttering and the video either keeps stop/starting, or keeps resetting back to the beginning because it doesn't buffer as it should. I'll try the dns thing.
But really, I'd prefer VM to sort this than have to keep visiting a forum to find ways around these problems. Thanks for the dns tip!

Edit: before I change anything DNS-wise. Will it affect my Xbox Live? I ask ebcause I had to set my 360 to a static I.P and also input the dns servers. Do I need to change them in my machine or not? I'd hate to mess up my 360 after it took me an age setting up an open connection on it. Thanks.

ikthius
22-08-2007, 10:32
I started a simliar thread a few days ago because I am having the same problems in the Baguely area. It's still diabolical when browsing, yet download speeds from news servers blast along at full speed. Browsing is probably slower than it was when I was on 56k to be honest. Any webpages where streaming media is involved (I watch some game reviews on gamespot) keep stuttering and the video either keeps stop/starting, or keeps resetting back to the beginning because it doesn't buffer as it should. I'll try the dns thing.
But really, I'd prefer VM to sort this than have to keep visiting a forum to find ways around these problems. Thanks for the dns tip!

Edit: before I change anything DNS-wise. Will it affect my Xbox Live? I ask ebcause I had to set my 360 to a static I.P and also input the dns servers. Do I need to change them in my machine or not? I'd hate to mess up my 360 after it took me an age setting up an open connection on it. Thanks.

it should not change anything,

mainly what it is going to do is check a place to see what the data name of an IP address is.
ip 212.58.240.110 is data name www.bbc.co.uk

so it is nothing to do with your IP address

ik

dr aardvark
22-08-2007, 22:37
i think that open dns has worked - everything seems a lot better now. Or at least its a lot better than it was!

chrome
22-08-2007, 23:38
could someone tell me how to do this openDNS thing, thanks

joglynne
23-08-2007, 00:34

I just folowed the openDNS suggestion for windows, never touched the router.
I done the same for linux.

it is faster, if it slows down I will try the router, but so far no need to

ik

you had to reboot to take effect, hope you done that before you posted???

and every so often delete your cache

ik

Go to the link in reggplant's post above. Choose windows rather than router then just follow the instructions (which are very clear and in scroll down pictorial form for those of us who are technically challenged :D).

At the end you will have to reboot before it will have any effect. It's made a big difference to my webb page download speed.

ikthius
23-08-2007, 11:44
yeah, just do as joggy said, it is very easy, not hard at all, not scary and wont complain at you.

you will find your speed will improve, I am not saying it will speed up the connection, all its doing is resolving the names to IP addresses quicker, so it loads the pages faster, so theoretically not speeding up the net at all, just speeding up the rendering of the page

ik

dr aardvark
23-08-2007, 20:17
i think i spoke too soon again - its still pretty bad - but its variable.

is there a way to test if there is a problem with my connection? - but not the speed test (that either loads first time and gives a good result or doesn't load after several refreshs like some webpages)

edit: wait, i think i've fixed it again. My firewall (kerio) updated recently so i uninstalled it and installed Comodo instead and i think (although i've said this before) that everything is ok....i will have to wait and see - damn i hate computers!!

kryogenik
24-08-2007, 18:56

Wow. That's improved things no end..!
:D:D:D
Always knew there was something afoot!
Up/down speeds fine, news fine - but browsing, YouTube/any online streaming video has been plop for ages.
Hallelujah, God Bless you and praise the lord.

ikthius
24-08-2007, 19:37
Wow. That's improved things no end..!
:D:D:D
Always knew there was something afoot!
Up/down speeds fine, news fine - but browsing, YouTube/any online streaming video has been plop for ages.
Hallelujah, God Bless you and praise the lord.

or just look at his post again, click the wee scale looking icons under his name and rep him ;) thats better than any praising or blessing ;) :erm: :angel: :D

ik

kryogenik
24-08-2007, 19:43
Yep, I do know about the rep system. How do you know I didn't? :confused:

goldoni
26-08-2007, 00:07

I had real slow browsing using IE with these changes I can now use IE and its faster than before, nice one

jaycee
27-08-2007, 17:49
I'm adding onto this. I'm having browse speed trouble too.

SpeedTest indicates my connection is fine, 4MBit download, 400Kbit upload. Totally idle connection.

I read about the DNS servers overloaded and immediately changed my server (which also functions as my router) to act as it's own DNS server (querying the root servers directly - basically, what a DNS server at any ISP would do). Still no improvement.

Tried webcache.virginmedia.com - still no improvement.

So, I had a friend temporarily set up a proxy on his colocated machines (housed at Redbus in docklands, one of the UK's major data centres), and connected through that - suddenly, web traffic is fine.

Sounds like someones made a routing SNAFU since discontinuing the webcaches. I bet port 80 traffic is being dropped somewhere.

I refuse to call the premium rate number only for some indian to go through their script and then blame it on spyware.

jaycee
28-08-2007, 09:58
The problem now seems to have been fixed.