PDA

View Full Version : Renting A Flat

wwe
20-08-2007, 16:54
hi i am looking for a flat to rent where the best place to start looking anyone know of any web site with them on i been on propertytoday.co.uk and thats it

goldoni
20-08-2007, 17:01
Google it Flats and your area,, it will still bring up flats in Wales but a least its a start,,,Best of Luck

Hugh
20-08-2007, 17:02
Gumtree is quite good.

MovedGoalPosts
20-08-2007, 17:08
Loads of websites out there have listings findaproperty.com, rightmove.co.uk and so on. You probably will get more sense though if you go to see the local lettings agents. It won't be just about rental levels you can afford, you need to understand what might be needed in the way of references, deposit and the like.

Pia
20-08-2007, 17:53
Where i live you can get a list of private landlords' property available from somewhere called 'First Stop' which is where they support people trying to get on their feet or in bad circumstances... there's also an automated phone system the number is in the local paper, you might have the same where you live? Which is where??

Colli
21-08-2007, 00:09
Give lettingweb.com a go.

AntiSilence
21-08-2007, 06:55
Rightmove.co.uk ma have something.

Tuftus
21-08-2007, 13:02
Local paper?

wwe
30-08-2007, 16:44
if u rent a flat couse i'm getting one just for 1 person how much are the bills likely to be couse this is the first flat i've got couse i been liveing wih my mum

superbiatch
30-08-2007, 16:48
if u rent a flat couse i'm getting one just for 1 person how much are the bills likely to be couse this is the first flat i've got couse i been liveing wih my mum

Shooks you're in for a shock hun - have you not got any friends who can rent with you?? Where about are you looking to rent?

wwe
30-08-2007, 16:53
Shooks you're in for a shock hun - have you not got any friends who can rent with you?? Where about are you looking to rent?

the one i found is a 2 bedroom one for 110 pounds a week but i do work all the time and do as many hours as i can so i'm thinking i might be able to get it couse i got lots saved up in my bank i put my name down for it they just checking my details how long does that take couse its been over a week now

superbiatch
30-08-2007, 16:58
the one i found is a 2 bedroom one for 110 pounds a week but i do work all the time and do as many hours as i can so i'm thinking i might be able to get it couse i got lots saved up in my bank i put my name down for it they just checking my details how long does that take couse its been over a week now

110 a week is an awful lot of money for someone on their own, its more than my mortgage! Is your rent going to be more than half your salary per month? If so, you then need to think council tax, water, leccy, gas, TV licence and then luxuries like broadband and phone etc. For your essentials you're looking at over 200 - so that needs adding on top of your rent. How much will you be left to live on??

Why not consider starting in a housing association/council property where the rent is much more reasonable?? Its where many of us started out ;)

wwe
30-08-2007, 17:03
110 a week is an awful lot of money for someone on their own, its more than my mortgage! Is your rent going to be more than half your salary per month? If so, you then need to think council tax, water, leccy, gas, TV licence and then luxuries like broadband and phone etc. For your essentials you're looking at over 200 - so that needs adding on top of your rent. How much will you be left to live on??

Why not consider starting in a housing association/council property where the rent is much more reasonable?? Its where many of us started out ;)

i think i will have the money couse at work i get like 230+ a week i got lots saved up and i do like the flat when i went 2 see it i'm just waiting 2 hear back from them 2 see if i can move in how long does that take for them to let me move in?

superbiatch
30-08-2007, 17:08
i think i will have the money couse at work i get like 230+ a week i got lots saved up and i do like the flat when i went 2 see it i'm just waiting 2 hear back from them 2 see if i can move in how long does that take for them to let me move in?

Savings don't last forever hun, they soon dwindle ;)

If through a letting agency they'll check your references out and get confirmation of your wages from your employer quite quick (cos they're losing money while they're waiting). Seriously, don't get carried away - i bet you could get something nice for like 80 a week. What area is it?

wwe
30-08-2007, 17:13
Savings don't last forever hun, they soon dwindle ;)

If through a letting agency they'll check your references out and get confirmation of your wages from your employer quite quick (cos they're losing money while they're waiting). Seriously, don't get carried away - i bet you could get something nice for like 80 a week. What area is it?

blackpool its in a place with lots of flats called merre park court i do save money i don't go out speading all the time i sometimes leave my wages at work couse i don't drink or smoke don't go out that much

superbiatch
30-08-2007, 17:20
blackpool its in a place with lots of flats called merre park court i do save money i don't go out speading all the time i sometimes leave my wages at work couse i don't drink or smoke don't go out that much

Good luck with it anyway, let us know how you get on :)

wwe
30-08-2007, 17:48
Good luck with it anyway, let us know how you get on :)

i will do thanks

Anonymouse
30-08-2007, 18:12
If you rent a council flat and you're on your own, you'll be entitled to a single person's allowance (20%) on your council tax. Also, councils offer a very cheap insurance scheme; mine adds about £2 a week onto my rent. Considering the contents are then fully insured to the tune of about £10,000, that's not bad.

In addition, it's generally a lot easier to get any necessary repairs done in a council flat/house; with a private landlord...well, it depends on the landlord. I'd talk to your local council in any case; likely they'll know the good and bad private landlords.

And it's a great way to get double glazing salesmen off your back if they ring you - just tell 'em it's a council property and you can practically hear them thinking: 'Dammit!' :D

A word of advice, though: if you're thinking of getting a pet, you must apply for written permission first. I mention this because my local council have recently had a complaint about me having a cat...the first they've had in the seven years she's been here. :dozey: On that basis they're letting it go, but I've written to them anyway to apply for permission. I would have done it when I first got her, but I missed that bit in the tenancy agreement when I moved in because I didn't have a cat at the time. Oops. :erm:

Good luck!

AntiSilence
30-08-2007, 18:25
If you rent a council flat and you're on your own, you'll be entitled to a single person's allowance (20%) on your council tax.

That applies to any single person renting or buying, as Council Tax is based on two people sharing.

Pia
30-08-2007, 20:03
And it's 25% discount isn't it??

I was looking at renting a house privately, i'm with council at the minute, and £110 a week can get me a nice 2 bed house with garden..... i think you've been a bit too generous with your ideas there....

SnoopZ
30-08-2007, 20:11

I was looking at renting a house privately, i'm with council at the minute, and £110 a week can get me a nice 2 bed house with garden..... i think you've been a bit too generous with your ideas there....

Yes Pia you get a 25% discount with only 1 person owning/renting.

Council Tax (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/tax/council_tax.htm).

AntiSilence
30-08-2007, 20:18

I thought it was, but wasn't 100% sure.

lostandconfused
31-08-2007, 10:44
renting by yourself costs a fortune, i pay 600 a month rent, plus then you have all the bills, most of them would be about the same if your sharing.

if you can get one of more people you know to share with i would definatly recommend it, personnally i wouldnt share with someone i didnt know though

Nidge
03-09-2007, 05:28
renting by yourself costs a fortune, i pay 600 a month rent, plus then you have all the bills, most of them would be about the same if your sharing.

if you can get one of more people you know to share with i would definatly recommend it, personnally i wouldnt share with someone i didnt know though
A lad at our place has just started renting a house, he set to much on at one time, we all told him that he'll struggle on his own and he'll have to get someone in to share the bills, he said he'll be ok. A few weeks down the line whala he's advertised a room for rent @ £250 per month, that's just for a room with shared bathroom and kitchen etc etc. We all said it was a bit expensive but the room has gone to a young girl from Essex who's going to a dance school in Mansfield.

TheDaddy
06-09-2007, 01:34
You thought about renting a room? Considering my rent is very nearly £200 per week I am seriously considering it, some friends of mine pay £75 per week for a decent sized room, in a house with professional, considerate people, not far from me and they pay no bills or council tax

wwe
08-09-2007, 15:45
just to let you know i got my flat i move in next week how do i go about taking my cable box with me and long will it take

homealone
08-09-2007, 16:14
just to let you know i got my flat i move in next week how do i go about taking my cable box with me

First you need to check with the landlord that you are allowed to have cable installed (unless there is an existing installation, of course).

Then, assuming there is no problems with that, you will need to contact customer services & ask to be put through to the 'house moves' department.

You should try & sort this out quite quickly, as until you get your details transferred, you will still be being billed for the service at your old address.

wwe
08-09-2007, 16:16
First you need to check with the landlord that you are allowed to have cable installed (unless there is an existing installation, of course).

Then, assuming there is no problems with that, you will need to contact customer services & ask to be put through to the 'house moves' department.

You should try & sort this out quite quickly, as until you get your details transferred, you will still be being billed for the service at your old address.

if the ladlord saids yes and i ring virgin and ask them how long do i have 2 wait for them to come and move it to my flat

homealone
08-09-2007, 16:39
if the ladlord saids yes and i ring virgin and ask them how long do i have 2 wait for them to come and move it to my flat

No idea, sorry, it depends on the existing workload the installers have in your area.

Obviously, if there is an existing installation it 'should' just be a case of plugging the box in & getting Virgin Media to update your account details & re-hit the box, but if you need to have a new installation done, that may well take longer.

You won't know until you have cleared it with the landlord & spoken to VM, unfortunately.

Congratulations, btw, I remember my first rented flat & it was great - I hope you can cook & don't just get take aways, though :)

dragon
08-09-2007, 20:21
I live with friends at the moment (its their dads house) so I get most of the bills included in the rent which is resonable, only thing I pay at the moment on top is food.

but was looking at moving somewhere else and trying to work out what the costs are above rent.

Anyone got a rough breakdown of what the costs are likely to be.
Not something I want to jump into to quickly but It would be nice to plan ahead just in case.

Pia
09-09-2007, 03:57
Well you'll need your rent obviously.. then council tax, which depends what sort of building it is and who you love with, you will get a 25% discount for sole occupancy, i live in a 2 bed terraced and mine is bout 65 a month with my discount.

Then your gas and electric, which is dependent on a lot of things, check here for some figures http://www.uswitch.com/Energy/Index.aspx?sessionid=5k1B6cy2OhQw7Asuo1TXjexEQeTl9 wTj&ref=

Water rates i don't know about because they're included in my rent.

Then you'll need a TV Licence, which if you pay monthly for it'll be about £27 a month for the first 6 months then about £13 after that.

Then whatever your cable/tv/phone/sky digital etc costs if you need it.

Also should get home contents insurance, doesn't cost much i'm only insured for about 10k and it's about £7 a month.

My figures are pretty random by the way, i couldn't be chewed to double check and also it depends on where you live and what kind of place it is so it will vary a lot.

Chrysalis
09-09-2007, 18:55

I get a 1 bed flat for 395 a month, 2 bed houses around here go for between 450 and about 600 a month, on the face of it in terms of value for money 1 bed flats are poor.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

A lad at our place has just started renting a house, he set to much on at one time, we all told him that he'll struggle on his own and he'll have to get someone in to share the bills, he said he'll be ok. A few weeks down the line whala he's advertised a room for rent @ £250 per month, that's just for a room with shared bathroom and kitchen etc etc. We all said it was a bit expensive but the room has gone to a young girl from Essex who's going to a dance school in Mansfield.

So hes renting out a room in a property he rents? I hope hes careful thats not allowed in most tenancy agreements.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Well you'll need your rent obviously.. then council tax, which depends what sort of building it is and who you love with, you will get a 25% discount for sole occupancy, i live in a 2 bed terraced and mine is bout 65 a month with my discount.

Then your gas and electric, which is dependent on a lot of things, check here for some figures http://www.uswitch.com/Energy/Index.aspx?sessionid=5k1B6cy2OhQw7Asuo1TXjexEQeTl9 wTj&ref=

Water rates i don't know about because they're included in my rent.

Then you'll need a TV Licence, which if you pay monthly for it'll be about £27 a month for the first 6 months then about £13 after that.

Then whatever your cable/tv/phone/sky digital etc costs if you need it.

Also should get home contents insurance, doesn't cost much i'm only insured for about 10k and it's about £7 a month.

My figures are pretty random by the way, i couldn't be chewed to double check and also it depends on where you live and what kind of place it is so it will vary a lot.

my water rates are about 65 every 6 months for unmetered usage, if unmetered is an option take it because the metered is usually much more expensive.

I think living on your own is very tough, people who have never done it dont quite reliase how tough it is they assume its not tough because all your bills are halved when they not, still same pay tv licence, fuel bills are usually close to what couples have, same with water, council tax is only 25% off not 50% and of course rent is usually expensive unless you renting a room in a house or a bedsit.

wwe
09-09-2007, 19:01
how muuch is the tv license?

homealone
09-09-2007, 19:15

£135.50 per annum

You can pay monthly, but it is arranged so you pay for 6 months up front, i.e. double instalments for the first six months, then single instalments, thereafter.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvlicensing.co.uk%2F&ei=DDjkRrPXMpCkwgH8zqnbDA&usg=AFQjCNHlllke0diCVM61IQGKMs5L9Q12Bg&sig2=edzsIn9_qDQwVbvUT92tJg

:)

wwe
09-09-2007, 20:44
how much is a water bill usually?

Nugget
09-09-2007, 20:55
Depends how much you use ;)

If you have a water meter fitted, you'll probably find that you save a bit, but we pay monthly at around 20 quid a month. To be honest, you'd probably be better with a meter :)

TheDaddy
09-09-2007, 20:59
Depends how much you use ;)

If you have a water meter fitted, you'll probably find that you save a bit, but we pay monthly at around 20 quid a month. To be honest, you'd probably be better with a meter :)

Then again

my water rates are about 65 every 6 months for unmetered usage, if unmetered is an option take it because the metered is usually much more expensive.

I have always found it more expensive to be on the meter as well ;)

wwe
09-09-2007, 21:03
how much is council tax?

i'm only asking couse i moving in to my very first flat next week and i have no idea home much these stuff are
thanks for all the help

homealone
09-09-2007, 21:17
how much is council tax?

i'm only asking couse i moving in to my very first flat next week and i have no idea home much these stuff are
thanks for all the help

As you are over 18, and working, I would have presumed you are already paying this?

In any case you can find out the valuation for the property you are moving to here (if you know the post code)

http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/cti_home.htm

more info about council tax here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/YourlocalcouncilandCouncilTax/CouncilTax/index.htm

Chrysalis
09-09-2007, 22:52
Then again

I spoke to someone at the water company when he asked if i was living on my own etc. and said with metered the average bill for someone in my cirumstances is over 200 pounds a year so I was much better on unmetered, I then asked my parents what they pay and they are paying around 3 times as much as me on metered about 200 pound every 6 months.

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

how much is council tax?

thanks for all the help

I am in Band A if you moving into a flat the chances are it will be band A.

mine is 831.77 per year with the 25% off 623.83 and payment is split over 10 months not 12. Council tax is pretty expensive and something that you should prepare for.

TheDaddy
09-09-2007, 22:53
I spoke to someone at the water company when he asked if i was living on my own etc. and said with metered the average bill for someone in my cirumstances is over 200 pounds a year so I was much better on unmetered, I then asked my parents what they pay and they are paying around 3 times as much as me on metered about 200 pound every 6 months.

Sorry I was agreeing with you, for some reason I put more expensive instead of cheaper though :dozey:

wwe
09-09-2007, 23:20
when i get my flat i don't want the phone line how do i go about not having it and do i need i phone line when i get boardband in

Tezcatlipoca
09-09-2007, 23:42
Is there already a phone line there?

If there is one there, presumably it was under the name of the previous tenant, & has been cancelled?

You don't *have* to have one.

As for broadband, you only need a phone line for broadband if you have ADSL. If you have cable broadband, it does not need a phone line.

Pia
11-09-2007, 00:09

how much is a water bill usually?

how much is council tax?

thanks for all the help
I was sure i'd answered these questions! In my own vague way of course :rofl:

Actually i'm lying, someone else answered some of them :D

wwe
12-03-2008, 15:55
if u ever rent a place don't rent it from broomheads i ring them couse all my lights and tv gone out so i ranged them they didn't answer the phone or ring me back every time i have a promblem they never answer the phone so i leave a message telling them the promblem and saying can u ring me a.s.a.p but they never do so i ranged them up saying why u never ring me back they still didn't ring me back there a waste of time tey never answer phone or ring back.

just thought u should know

Vlad_Dracul
14-03-2008, 08:49
hi i am looking for a flat to rent where the best place to start looking anyone know of any web site with them on i been on propertytoday.co.uk and thats it

As you appear to be a younger person, have you considered the possibility of house/flat share? Do a google. There are a few reputable sites which deal in the business of organising flat/house shares i,e someone has their own home,has a spare room,posts ad,interviews potential "lodgers",if you both fit,deals done.

Advantages for you-you get to live in more spacious accommodation,you pay less,you have the benefit of social interaction/meeting new people,you can move around to another place when you want to.

EG see
http://www.spareroom.co.uk/

and similar

good luck...

Charlie_Bubble
14-03-2008, 10:20
Then again

I think it will depend on the size of your household and your local water company. I live here with my mrs and 6 month old daughter, my water is metered and I pay about £70 - £80 every 6 months.

Help!!!
15-03-2008, 00:38
Renting FACT, thats dead money and considering paying £110 a week on your own is silly, I say stay at home and pay board, way cheaper then moving out.

wwe
15-03-2008, 03:27
Renting FACT, thats dead money and considering paying £110 a week on your own is silly, I say stay at home and pay board, way cheaper then moving out.

i am staying at home im not going 2 move out its cheapper to live at home as well plus i get 2 see my family everyday

Halcyon
15-03-2008, 11:34
There are a few dissadvantages though with living at home:

- You can't have music playing til late as family wants to go to bed.
- You can't arrange your house how you want it to make it your own style.
- It's not very easy to bring a new partner home and know your family is in the room next door.

Vlad_Dracul
16-03-2008, 13:49
There are a few dissadvantages though with living at home:

- You can't have music playing til late as family wants to go to bed.
- You can't arrange your house how you want it to make it your own style.
- It's not very easy to bring a new partner home and know your family is in the room next door.
Disadvantages to living in your own home...

Playing music until very late-the neighbour comes in and murders you
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2857227.stm

Hugh
16-03-2008, 14:19
Disadvantages to living in your own home...

Playing music until very late-the neighbour comes in and murders you
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2857227.stm
Some of us don't live in those sort of areas............. ;)

(or have those sort of neighbours :D )

handyman
16-03-2008, 16:23
£98 per year water rates.. yee haa.
Mind you I have a 2 bed cottage which we rent for £385 so a flat at £475 seems dear.