PDA

View Full Version : Vista/Outlook Email Problem

Galena1
20-08-2007, 15:46
Hi All – I’m having a problem setting up an email connection on a new system. I’ll list the facts, it may make it easier to understand. Sorry it’s such a long message but I’m trying to get as much information across as I can. I have a bit of a hearing problem so don’t want to call Customer Support, only as a last resort. Many thanks.

Existing main system is –
Cable connection.
XP machine.
Outlook Express.

Second system, also Outlook Express, running 98 and connected through a Belkin Router.

Email was set up, years ago with Blueyonder - 2 mailboxes xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx_2. I have one alias set up in each mailbox. The _2 mailbox/alias was for the second system. This has all worked fine for years.

I have replaced the second system with a new Vista Home Premium system. I have installed Office 2007 on this system (includes Outlook). I can send messages from the new Vista system but am unable to receive them. I think the problem is related to the ‘Logon Information’, but I’m not sure. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.
To set up the _2 email account in Outlook (Vista) I have -
Opened Outlook>Tools>AccountSettings>New. This opens ‘Add New Email Account’ window.
I have entered -
Your name (Name of my partner)
Email Address (Name of my partner@blueyonder.co.uk)
Password ( xxxxxxxx – this being the original password issued by Telewest – Correct? Yes/No?)
Repeat Password (Same as ‘Password’)
Next.

New window opens – ‘Online search for your server settings’ – I get the message – ‘encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click ‘Next’ to attempt using an unencrypted connection’. >’Next’. New window opens, ‘Online search for your server settings’.
New window opens, ‘Problem connecting to Server’.
I check the ‘Manually Configure Server Settings’ box. > ‘Next’
New window ‘Choose email service. I check ‘Internet Email’ button. > ‘Next’
New window ‘Internet Email Settings’. I enter –

Your Name (Name of my partner that will use this machine)
Email Address ( xxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk)
Account Type (POP3)
Incoming Mail Server (pop3.blueyonder.co.uk)
Outgoing Mail Server (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk)

Logon Information
User Name (Name of my partner)
Password (A word of her choosing)
Check ‘Remember Password’ >’Next’>’Finish’>’Close’

A new window opens ‘Enter Network Password’. It says – Server ‘pop3.blueyonder.co.ukâ€â⠀žÂ¢
The ‘User Name’ and Password are filled in with my partner’s name and password as detailed in Logon Information above. I click ‘OK’ and the same window opens again. If I ‘Cancel’ it disappears.
I ‘Send/Receive’ and 2 windows open. Window one ‘Outlook Send/Receive Progress’ states – xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk – sending - completed
xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk – receiving – processing

The second window is the ‘Enter Network Password’, the same as above.

amateurfool
20-08-2007, 15:53
Hi All – I’m having a problem setting up an email connection on a new system. I’ll list the facts, it may make it easier to understand. Sorry it’s such a long message but I’m trying to get as much information across as I can. I have a bit of a hearing problem so don’t want to call Customer Support, only as a last resort. Many thanks.

Existing main system is –
Cable connection.
XP machine.
Outlook Express.

Second system, also Outlook Express, running 98 and connected through a Belkin Router.

Email was set up, years ago with Blueyonder - 2 mailboxes xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx_2. I have one alias set up in each mailbox. The _2 mailbox/alias was for the second system. This has all worked fine for years.

I have replaced the second system with a new Vista Home Premium system. I have installed Office 2007 on this system (includes Outlook). I can send messages from the new Vista system but am unable to receive them. I think the problem is related to the ‘Logon Information’, but I’m not sure. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.
To set up the _2 email account in Outlook (Vista) I have -
Opened Outlook>Tools>AccountSettings>New. This opens ‘Add New Email Account’ window.
I have entered -
Your name (Name of my partner)
Email Address (Name of my partner@blueyonder.co.uk)
Password ( xxxxxxxx – this being the original password issued by Telewest – Correct? Yes/No?)
Repeat Password (Same as ‘Password’)
Next.

New window opens – ‘Online search for your server settings’ – I get the message – ‘encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click ‘Next’ to attempt using an unencrypted connection’. >’Next’. New window opens, ‘Online search for your server settings’.
New window opens, ‘Problem connecting to Server’.
I check the ‘Manually Configure Server Settings’ box. > ‘Next’
New window ‘Choose email service. I check ‘Internet Email’ button. > ‘Next’
New window ‘Internet Email Settings’. I enter –

Your Name (Name of my partner that will use this machine)
Email Address ( xxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk)
Account Type (POP3)
Incoming Mail Server (pop3.blueyonder.co.uk)
Outgoing Mail Server (smtp.blueyonder.co.uk)

Logon Information
User Name (Name of my partner)
Password (A word of her choosing)
Check ‘Remember Password’ >’Next’>’Finish’>’Close’

A new window opens ‘Enter Network Password’. It says – Server ‘pop3.blueyonder.co.ukâ€â⠀žÂ¢
The ‘User Name’ and Password are filled in with my partner’s name and password as detailed in Logon Information above. I click ‘OK’ and the same window opens again. If I ‘Cancel’ it disappears.
I ‘Send/Receive’ and 2 windows open. Window one ‘Outlook Send/Receive Progress’ states – xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk – sending - completed
xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk – receiving – processing

The second window is the ‘Enter Network Password’, the same as above.

You have entered incorrect login details, the username is of a format ab123c4567_2 (which should be visible if you look at the email account properties on the old PC) and the password is whatever you set it to when you set up the mailbox using the blueyonder (now virginmedia) selfcare page.

Galena1
21-08-2007, 13:58
You have entered incorrect login details, the username is of a format ab123c4567_2 (which should be visible if you look at the email account properties on the old PC) and the password is whatever you set it to when you set up the mailbox using the blueyonder (now virginmedia) selfcare page.

Thank you amateurfool - I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately its been so long ago that I can't remember the password used at the time the _2 mailbox was setup. Can I find out what this Password was from Virgin or can I look elsewhere? Thanks

Raistlin
21-08-2007, 14:05
If you still have access to the old system, and it is correctly accessing emails, then there are ways that you can recover the password from the settings there.

Otherwise there may not be a lot that you can do, other than to put a call in to CS and see if they can reset your password.....

Galena1
25-08-2007, 21:21
Many thanks to amateurfool and raistlin for their suggestions. It was a password issue that I have managed to sort out with your help. I'd also like to thank Customer Support for their failure to even acknowledge my request for assistance. You clearly don't give a ****(insert your own four-letter word here). It's as well Virgin's billing system is more efficient than their Customer Support, otherwise they would be broke in a week.

Mick Fisher
25-08-2007, 23:24
:LOL:
But they tell us they are broke already...........