PDA

View Full Version : Set top box to media center help

dragonet
20-08-2007, 03:34
Hi,
I have been on the phone for hours talking to so called tech support with no luck. PLEASE HELP!!

Just bought a philips LX2000 slimline entertainment computer. the problem is the computer is not finding any channels through the media center. I think the cables are right. set top box TV coax to TV in on computer. HDM1 from computer to HDM1 TV socket.

the computer works fine so does the TV. When I do a channel search it shows no channels found. I am really scratching my head with this one. WHAT AM I MISSING :dunce:

Roy MM
20-08-2007, 04:00
I would look at the STB configeration, i'm sure i read if you have it set to HDM1 there's no RF out switched on, so the coax is not sending anything to your PC, HTH sorry if i'm wrong.

Oh and welcome to cable forum.

dragonet
20-08-2007, 07:46
Thank you for the reply. I just tried what you suggested. However I checked my settings on the STP but cannot find any reference to hdm1 or RF.

Thank you for the welcome:D

I bought the system from Pc world, There customere service is carp
I contacted philips, Carp
I contacted NTL ,also carp.

Cost me a fortune in phone calls just to be sent round the block and then told "Can't help" by 4 so called customer support technicians.

Sorry for the bitching, just coming to the end of my patience. time for more coffee lol.

Great forum guys and gals!!!

jamiefrost
20-08-2007, 08:46
Can you plug the co-ax from the TB into a TV and check to make sure that is working?

What other connections are there on the TV card? What software are you using on the PC? Co-ax / s-video are seen as seperate sources.

If the STB is the only source for the PC you will only find 1 channel.

JJ

spiderplant
20-08-2007, 08:48
What kind of TV card does this PC have? If it's a digital terrestrial (Freeview) one, it's not going to work.

Do a bit of fault finding...
Do you have an aerial? If so, plug it into the PC and see whether the PC can tune from that. (If not, the PC is probably faulty)
Also connect your STB directly to your TV, and see whether the TV can tune to the STB. (If not, the STB is probably faulty)

zing_deleted
20-08-2007, 08:49
if your using hdmi from the stb you will need to plug this into the pc (if it has a hdmi input that is)

you wont search channels from an stb you will have to either set it up as above or blank the hdmi and use composite input and just set the media pc to av in

me-eyes
21-08-2007, 14:01
This is an interesting thread - I was planning to build a HTPC and connect that up to the STB when I get one installed. I have Windows Vista on my laptop and when setting up the TV part of media centre one of the options asks if you are connected to an STB - if so you can either enter a specific channel number, S-video or composite video to get the TV-signal.

Are you saying none of the above work? Does anyone one else do this? Can you record TV programmes to HDD from the STB?

jamiefrost
21-08-2007, 18:40
You can use a HTPC to record from the STB, I used a S-Video output from the STB via a scart / S-video adaptor and an IR blaster to change channel worked fine.

JJ